Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Us Coastline
Alabama 1 0.61%
Alaska 0 0%
California 27 16.46%
Connecticut 2 1.22%
Delaware 2 1.22%
Florida 68 41.46%
Georgia 1 0.61%
Illinois 2 1.22%
Indiana 1 0.61%
Louisiana 1 0.61%
Maine 2 1.22%
Maryland 0 0%
Massachusetts 3 1.83%
Michigan 9 5.49%
Minnesota 2 1.22%
Mississippi 0 0%
New Hampshire 1 0.61%
New Jersey 3 1.83%
New York 1 0.61%
North Carolina 11 6.71%
Ohio 1 0.61%
Oregon 7 4.27%
Pennsylvania 1 0.61%
Rhode Island 2 1.22%
South Carolina 4 2.44%
Texas 3 1.83%
Virginia 5 3.05%
Washington 2 1.22%
Wisconsin 2 1.22%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times

Advertisements

I put California. Nice beaches and very beautiful coastline as well. Florida has nice beaches, often times better than CA, but since the poll asked about coastline, I chose CA, as Florida is either too flat or too developed.

Hawaii, if on the poll, would be my choice. It's quite clear that it has some of the best beaches in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NJ beaches, on a national scale, are underrated and misrepresented. Many would probably laugh seeing it as a poll option, but if you visit Cape May, Island Beach State Park, anywhere on LBI, etc, you will see how sadly mistaken you are. For the last two summers, the water has been the clearest that I've ever seen it.

Don't believe the reputation that we have dirty beaches because it's not true. Our water is often ranked among the cleanest of all the coastal states, I believe it came in 2nd last year behind NH.

I also like New England beaches - sure, the water's colder but I find them so beautiful. Also can't go wrong with Florida.
Yet you criticize CA for having chilly water, and say it's coastline isn't beautiful to you

Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Definitely Maine. It combines the ruggedness of the west coast with the sandiness of FL beaches and Atlantic water is warmer than Pacific water. FL beaches are really great though, but they're useless because you can't go further out than 20 feet into the water because of sharks (on the east coast). On the west coast of FL you have to shuffle your feet while walking or else you could step on a sting ray. I've seen them with my own eyes and it's scary.
Maine's water is certainly not warmer than CA's water. And also, the Pacific Ocean is the warmest ocean after the Indian Ocean overall. On the equator, the Atlantic tops out at 85F; on the equator, the Pacific tops out at 88F. So the Atlantic is not always warmer than Pacific.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I find it kind of interesting that you mention Galveston and brown water. I too find brown ocean water rather uninviting and not pleasant to look at.

NJ beach towns have much nicer water than Rehoboth. Ironic that all that murky Delaware River water flowing by Philadelphia flows right out of Delaware Bay and makes a huge right turn and heads right to Rehoboth. That water does not come near the NJ shore towns. The water at Island Beach State Park looks almost Caribbean like in the summer with little waves. But most times of the year the water along the NJ shore is clear green. The water in Rehoboth is the ugliest water in the region around here. It is so murky you can't see a few inches into the water. I've seen my feet in chest deep water most times I'm swimming in NJ, but never in Rehoboth. And I've been in a beach house in Rehoboth for the last four years. The rest of what you said about Rehoboth is true though. A really classy beach town with great nightlife and dining, shopping.

And as far as ugly water, not only Galveston and Rehoboth, but also Hilton Head Island and Tybee Island and almost the whole coast from Charleston to Jacksonville has murky brown ocean water. It is warm, but not inviting to swim in.

Here are a couple videos from the NJ shore. White sand and blue water is to be found there.

I took this video in Sea Isle City in August of this summer.

[/quote]

Oh please. It's pretty but the water is not 'Caribbean-like' as how you described it.

[/quote]

And I took this pic in Sea Isle in August this year.

[/quote]

Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
just for back from the usvi. Carribean blows the entire US beaches out of the water (npi)
I think Hawaii's beaches are more or less equal to the Caribbean's, for a variety of reasons.

Caribbean: Usually has warmer water, almost always calmer and often times clearer, since it is shallower. However, usually the beaches all look the same for the most part: white sand, calm and clear water, but flat scenery.
Hawaii: Warm water, but not as warm as most of the Caribbean (in winter, Hawaii has warmer water than Bahamas, TCI, parts of Cuba, and South Florida). But Hawaii tends to have more diverse scenery/coastlines. Sometimes you'll find the white-sand, calm & clear water beaches that resemble FL and the Caribbean. Other times, you'll have gold, black, pink, red, or even green sand. Plus, mountains and rockier beaches than most of the Caribbean lacks.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
FL, then WA( I find the coastline more diverse than CA due to the San Juan Islands). FL's coastline may be flat but there's an abundance of mangroves, inlets, bayous etc..that make up for it, plus the marine biodiversity (as a whole) rivals, actually exceeds that in HI.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yet you criticize CA for having chilly water, and say it's coastline isn't beautiful to you
I do? I said California's coastline isn't beautiful? That's news to me.

Both CA and New England beaches have chilly water. Fact. I can bear the temperatures, doesn't mean I prefer it, but both have pretty coastlines.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
probably the south atlantic beaches besides florida are the next best.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I do? I said California's coastline isn't beautiful? That's news to me.

Both CA and New England beaches have chilly water. Fact. I can bear the temperatures, doesn't mean I prefer it, but both have pretty coastlines.
You said on another thread that 'not everyone likes the coastal scenery of CA', and said that you yourself don't find it all that amazing. Yet you went on and on about the lushness of FL (which I agree, is pretty).

Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You said on another thread that 'not everyone likes the coastal scenery of CA', and said that you yourself don't find it all that amazing. Yet you went on and on about the lushness of FL (which I agree, is pretty).
What, do you keep a list of everything people say? This is not the first time you've done this to me, trying to catch me in a lie or something or use my own words against me.

Let me make myself clear - I'm not a mountain/cliff person. Yes, they're pretty - but I much prefer a Caribbean/tropical scene. While a dramatic coastline is beautiful, it's not my preferred scene. Maine is very beautiful, but I'd rather be in Florida or somewhere in the Caribbean. I find various types of scenery, virtually all, pretty, but I still have preferences. I can find something pretty while also not particularly liking it, or while liking something else more.

Stop acting so creepy when you post. You're not going to catch me in some sort of bind with my postings. I don't retract what I say, I may need to make myself more clear for you, though, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.