Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Noone said Detroit was better than Philly. Noone said Detroit was better than St. Louis, Cinci, or KC.
That's correct - they didn't. But someone said this:
Quote:
Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world.
WOW! The whole wide world!!! Well, I disagree. In fact, I think it's hyperbolic hogwash. And my posts have focused on why I feel this way - even the illustrated posts.

If you agree with the poster who made this claim, so be it. There will at least be two of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 07:40 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Not sure if you took a look at the links. One building?

I can't tell if you're trolling or homering. If you honestly think "Detroit is one of the most architecturally unique cities in the US, if not the world," then we'll just agree to disagree.
I'm not trolling and I don't live anywhere near Detroit. I'm acknowledging Detroit's incredibly unique architecture.

Think of it this way. There is not a single other city that has gone through what Detroit has suffered since 1950, and if so not on the same scale. Nor is there a city that saw the same meteoric rise in the 1920s and 1930s as Detroit did. Detroit's history is unique from going from a small city to a global-scale industrial metropolis to a declining and emptied-out city is unique across the world. And since a city's architecture is so often a reflection of its history, it has some unique architecture as well.

And I looked at those links. I can tell you personally, StL's 20s Neogothic Architecture is limited to the Continental Life building and Fox Theatre in Midtown and the Southwestern Bell building downtown; there are no major Art Deco buildings at all. StL, and likewise Cincy, had their growth spurts in the 1870s-1890s and 1850s-1870s, respectively, so they won't have the same concentration of 20s-30s construction Detroit has.

I will rescind on my "if not the world" part of my statement. That was a bit hyperbolic. But Detroit is still by far one of the most architecturally unique cities in the nation.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Detroit is uniquely positioned to "win" this thread, yet people from other cities are treating it as a competition and bringing cities (like Philly) that they would defend to the death of NOT BEING BLIGHTED in any other thread. Unreal. C-D never ceases to amaze.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Detroit is uniquely positioned to "win" this thread, yet people from other cities are treating it as a competition and bringing cities (like Philly) that they would defend to the death of NOT BEING BLIGHTED in any other thread. Unreal. C-D never ceases to amaze.
Both are blighted. I only referenced that I don't think the style is unique as positioned What i sort of unique is a point from poster earlier that save a few buildings much development in the core halted leaving cleaner views of a certain styling. Sort of unique and interesting not sure that makes it the most interesting

Would say the stock is very attractive and fits topic as would some other places

today it would be difficult for me to say the core of Philly is blighted per se many other parts of the city absolutely are no doubt

Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I'm not trolling and I don't live anywhere near Detroit. I'm acknowledging Detroit's incredibly unique architecture.

Think of it this way. There is not a single other city that has gone through what Detroit has suffered since 1950, and if so not on the same scale. Nor is there a city that saw the same meteoric rise in the 1920s and 1930s as Detroit did. Detroit's history is unique from going from a small city to a global-scale industrial metropolis to a declining and emptied-out city is unique across the world. And since a city's architecture is so often a reflection of its history, it has some unique architecture as well.

And I looked at those links. I can tell you personally, StL's 20s Neogothic Architecture is limited to the Continental Life building and Fox Theatre in Midtown and the Southwestern Bell building downtown; there are no major Art Deco buildings at all. StL, and likewise Cincy, had their growth spurts in the 1870s-1890s and 1850s-1870s, respectively, so they won't have the same concentration of 20s-30s construction Detroit has.

I will rescind on my "if not the world" part of my statement. That was a bit hyperbolic. But Detroit is still by far one of the most architecturally unique cities in the nation.
This is a more thorough explanation of what was behind your earlier post. I am not normally combative, but coming from a city with a couple of century's worth of intact interesting architecture, I just took issue with the overstatement. Thanks for your insightful follow up (+1).

Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
No one is claiming that Philly is "contending for the win" here, if that's how you've been reading my posts. I've stated what's behind my posts enough times already, so I'll leave it there.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:10 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
This is a more thorough explanation of what was behind your earlier post. I am not normally combative, but coming from a city with a couple of century's worth of intact interesting architecture, I just took issue with the overstatement. Thanks for your insightful follow up (+1).
Thank you. Glad we could find a common understanding. Sorry for the miscommunication and hyperbole.

And believe me, Philly has its own brand of history and architecture that is absolutely incredible. Both Philly and Detroit are amazing cities with amazing histories and aesthetics that not only deserve but are destined for greatness among the world's cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.