Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
To me PA is kind of like the CT of the Mid Atlantic. I don't really think of any distinguishable culture or anything. I know other people on here are going to rip me apart for saying that but it's the truth. PA isn't one of those states where something comes to mind like Vermont (maple syrup), FL (sunshine and beaches), Cali (Heaven lmao).
I kind of think how you think of Pennsylvania. Personally, I really like the state and particularly it's big cities. I like their character and feel and density.

That being said, if I were to tell someone else I was interested in possibly living in Pennsylvania someday, it's easy to get a 'Huh?' kind of response. Followed by a 'why not Seattle or X instead?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 AM

308 posts, read 506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I kind of think how you think of Pennsylvania. Personally, I really like the state and particularly it's big cities. I like their character and feel and density.

That being said, if I were to tell someone else I was interested in possibly living in Pennsylvania someday, it's easy to get a 'Huh?' kind of response. Followed by a 'why not Seattle or X instead?'
Yeah exactly. The only PA city I'd be interested in checking out would be Philly and I was actually looking at jobs there a while back. But as far as the entire state, that's another story. And not in a bad way, that's just how I feel about it.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania can be a great bargain if you're looking to live in the Philadelphia area. There are beautiful, upscale areas there where one can afford a large house for much less than in the New York City or Washington DC areas.

Yet, you're within only a couple of hours drive to just about anything you could want. Definitely worth looking into in my opinion. I would ignore the naysayers (unless you actually want to live on the west coast or something).

Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
I lived that experience. About 4 years ago when we were looking to relocate from Houston, we mades trips to Portland (ME), Boston, Providence, Philly, Baltimore, Seattle, and Portland (OR). We and no pre-conceived idea that any one of these would be the best fit, but Philly hit everything on our list: urbanity, walkability, four seasons, near an ocean, good PT, politically "blue," and offering a number of interesting nearby locales for day trips. Philly has all these in spades.

Having now made the decision to move here, when we told friends and coworkers back in Houston, we got two responses. Those who knew little about Philly said "Huh?" Those who knew or who had visited the city basically said "Wow - what a great place to live." The latter has turned out to be true.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Horrid sports fans and equally horrid drivers.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Benjamin Franklin, the liberty bell, Philadelphia, ice city, the Phillies, the eagles, Appalachia, Pittsburgh, the steelers, original house of representatives, groundhog day, the amish, pretty chics with black hair, a few cute russian girls, etc.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I lived that experience. About 4 years ago when we were looking to relocate from Houston, we mades trips to Portland (ME), Boston, Providence, Philly, Baltimore, Seattle, and Portland (OR). We and no pre-conceived idea that any one of these would be the best fit, but Philly hit everything on our list: urbanity, walkability, four seasons, near an ocean, good PT, politically "blue," and offering a number of interesting nearby locales for day trips. Philly has all these in spades.

Having now made the decision to move here, when we told friends and coworkers back in Houston, we got two responses. Those who knew little about Philly said "Huh?" Those who knew or who had visited the city basically said "Wow - what a great place to live." The latter has turned out to be true.
That's how I feel about it. Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia fit me just perfectly. Visited both, and love them both. For the life of me, I have never met anyone else who has the same feeling about them, I mean, among those who haven't been there.

But, to be honest, if Philadelphia/Pittsburgh suddenly became a Pacific Northwest destination, a New England destination, an Austin destination, than the coolest part about it would be lost. The ability to own a home in a very cool city with tons of accessible amenities.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I think of hills/valleys/mountains, nice scenic drives on I-81 and the Penn Turnpike, road constructions, dense cities/boroughs with plenty of stories to tell, pretzels, cheesesteaks, Tastycakes, fracking, crossing the Susquehanna on I-83 at Harrisburg, the Amish, outlet malls, Hershey and Penn State Football, among other things.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
cheese steaks, cigars, narrow urban streets, story book houses, market street, I-95, american flags, philly flyers, having fun, cool people.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 AM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
cheese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.