Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:17 PM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Forbes' Opportunity Cities: 19 Places Where It May Be Easier To Make Your Mark - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM

596 posts, read 820,674 times
Yeah, because doing things easy is how people become successful.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Kind of funny how they start off the article with a story of a couple that decided to stay in Columbus instead of "opening a retail shop either in New York or Philly" and essentially praise their decision for "skipping the cooler East Coast cities for the Midwest."

Then they go ahead and rank Philly #8 on the list along with a bunch of other East Coast cities.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Lol

Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Yeah, because doing things easy is how people become successful.
"Easier" is relative. It still takes hard work to make your mark wherever you are, but certain cities may offer advatages that make it less burdensome to do so.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:38 PM

When people are leaving your cities in droves, sure as hell it is easier to move up. I left Rochester, NY for a better part of the country and sure as heck it was a good time for someone looking to move up!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
When people are leaving your cities in droves, sure as hell it is easier to move up. I left Rochester, NY for a better part of the country and sure as heck it was a good time for someone looking to move up!
Actually, I believe the population has pretty much stayed stable within the city in recent years and the metro has had slow, but steady population growth as well.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I believe the population has pretty much stayed stable within the city in recent years and the metro has had slow, but steady population growth as well.
And you seem to think that those numbers mean people aren't leaving...

Even the article you posted in the OP makes mention that they practically put this list together based on the fact that people are moving away or that the cities have bad reputations. Posting this is not a compliment to any of the cities on the list.

Informative, sure, I'll give you that. I'm sure there are people out there ready to look for that opportunity. For me, personally (just my opinion), I just plain do not understand moving to a city for a better job if the area it's in isn't adequate. Makes NO sense to me. Even that other post with 20 cities does the same thing.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
And you seem to think that those numbers mean people aren't leaving...

Even the article you posted in the OP makes mention that they practically put this list together based on the fact that people are moving away or that the cities have bad reputations. Posting this is not a compliment to any of the cities on the list.

Informative, sure, I'll give you that. I'm sure there are people out there ready to look for that opportunity. For me, personally (just my opinion), I just plain do not understand moving to a city for a better job if the area it's in isn't adequate. Makes NO sense to me. Even that other post with 20 cities does the same thing.
If anything, it means that you can have more impact and live comfortably in these cities, but it is contingent on the same factors that apply in any city/area. People move to and from cities/areas all of the time. So, what may be inadequate to one person, may be a good deal to another person. Criteria plays a part in this as well.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Most of these cities just don't give off excitement in any way. I was bored to tears flipping through the list. Great places to be outstanding but only because everything around would be so horribly bland. No thanks. low cost of living however and home prices are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.