Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:23 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Houston is less desirable than Minneapolis for one example, it just has a current infusion of jobs. No southern states come close to the boom North Dakota is currently experiencing - do you want to try to explain that away as a coastal or scenic happening, or can you admit that the truth is it has a booming job market, just like every other place in the country (regardless of location) that has seen booms in our history?
List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you even LOOK for data before posting?

ND has been in the lead as of late, but there are plenty of Southern states up on the list, including Texas.

This poll is always a fun one:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168770/ha...elsewhere.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Yeah... weather... sure... That's why one of the fastest growing states is North Dakota... People are moving in so fast there is not enough housing and the officials can't even get proper counts of how many people live in the cities. Places like Minot, ND grew by 13%... since 2010!!
Which is what? A whopping 1000 people?!? Lol

North Dakota is growing high relative to its population, not in absute numbers. And a huge chunk of that growth is temporarily. I had several friends that moved there from Florida when the economy crashed. Most have moved back in the past two years as the economy healed.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:28 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
The difference between what I would do and what you would do is that the vast majority of the American populous is in line with my opinion. No one wants to live where it is freezing cold. I have never, ever, in my whole life heard someone say they enjoy a Midwest winter.

People move for economic reasons, yes. I'm from Florida but I recently moved to Denver for a job. But Denver's climate is a cakewalk compared to the Midwest.
I enjoy my Midwestern winters. Meaning you've just been discredited. I hate Florida weather. Despise it.

You are simply ignorant of the region - you have zero clue what you're talking about here.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why do people in this thread ignore the huge impact natural growth has on population growth?

Texas is a high fertility state with large migration from Mexico as well. This needs to be taken into consideration.
I think we have a winner in terms of the last portion of your post. Immigration plays a part in this population growth as well.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Which is what? A whopping 1000 people?!? Lol

North Dakota is growing high relative to its population, not in absute numbers. And a huge chunk of that growth is temporarily. I had several friends that moved there from Florida when the economy crashed. Most have moved back in the past two years as the economy healed.
That's a good point that I didn't even think about, but should have. Stick a factory in a big city and it barely brings anyone in, stick one in a small town and they'll have a Walmart in no time!

Old 09-26-2014, 01:39 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
I've been posting here for years, and a very recurrent theme that comes up in these threads is the deep-hearted desire of northerners to believe that the north will one day boom again. That people will reverse course and start moving back to the decaying northern states. These people convince themselves that this migration is temporary and is only occurring because of job market factors. It's not. The northern weather is a huge push factor that drives people south. Now that people can live comfortable lives in warmer climates there is no reason to freeze to death for half the year.

Regarding the economic factors, Florida has never had a good economy, yet it's population growth ever since the invention of A/C in the 20s is matched only by Texas and California. Florida's economy is doing worse today than at almost any point in the post WWII era yet people from all walks of life still flock there.

The norths only hope of ever returning to population growth is global warming, and a lot of it.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
I've been posting here for years, and a very recurrent theme that comes up in these threads is the deep-hearted desire of northerners to believe that the north will one day boom again. That people will reverse course and start moving back to the decaying northern states. These people convince themselves that this migration is temporary and is only occurring because of job market factors. It's not. The northern weather is a huge push factor that drives people south. Now that people can live comfortable lives in warmer climates there is no reason to freeze to death for half the year.

Regarding the economic factors, Florida has never had a good economy, yet it's population growth ever since the invention of A/C in the 20s is matched only by Texas and California. Florida's economy is doing worse today than at almost any point in the post WWII era yet people from all walks of life still flock there.

The norths only hope of ever returning to population growth is global warming, and a lot of it.
Right, because migration patterns have shifted throughout the centurys of this country's history yet this recent one, a blip on the historical radar during a period of southern job growth, is the way it's going to be until the end of time LOL

Old 09-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Plus, one of the things that is interesting is that the internet makes this migration easier for people. Northerners (of which I was one myself), still biased about Southern culture, were truly scared of it until things like the internet and forums like these open their eyes. They can do research easier, find out about attractions, features of places. They can travel and visit easier. Now that the process is easier, people can finally start to select from a wide selection of places to live based on their own preferences. It just so happens that they are choosing the Southwest and the South.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM

Interesting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/us...g.html?_r=2&hp

Cites the recession as a reason for the slow in migration. Maybe once the economy picks back up migration may increase.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM

390 posts, read 940,915 times
A ton of people move to seek better weather. Heck, I moved from Upstate NY to Tampa in 2003 because I was sick and tired of the bitterly cold winters and dreary overcast. It seemed everyone I met in Tampa was from somewhere else (not retirees) and they were mostly from cold Midwestern cities. They all complained about the winters in Chicago, Iowa and Minneapolis and how that was a driving force for them to move. I've had friends move to warm weather cities like Charlotte, Austin and Dallas because they hated the cold.

A lot of other people move because they want more recreational options or just a change of scenery. My friend's parents moved from NY to SC, then AZ and now they're in Hawaii.

People who are struggling to find employment are mostly Blue Collar workers. If you were a plummer making $35K a year living in Chicago and lost your job, would you just get up and move to a random city you read had a good economy and start all over? Would you pull your kids out of school and say "we're moving to Austin". I don't know. I know moving is a huge expense and a luxury a lot of people cannot afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.