Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

We should be using the term "Sunbelt" if we're referring to warmer states in the Southern half of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 03:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Old people move for weather. Families and young people move for jobs primarily. I can't believe people would debate this.
That is mostly true but people love to argue over stupid stuff. People will talk about that one person they know that moved to Florida or Arizona for the weather. Some Americans kill me with what they argue over.. its just useless.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No, ND added 50,000 people in the last 3 years alone. That's very high for any place not named NYC or LA even in absolute numbers. And that figure is likely underestimated btw.

From your own link, out of top10, only 3 states I'd consider "Southern" -> Texas, Arizona, and Florida.
I was responding to a poster who was not talking about North Dakota. They were talking about one city in ND called Minot. Try connecting the dots better.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
It might get more sun in winter, but its not a "cakewalk compared to the Midwest". All too often people say that, but then we see Denver gettin hammered with big time snowfalls as late as May, while us in the Midwest were out wearing shorts and hanging out at the beach. The same story comes around when Denver is buried under snow, ice, and whipping sub-zero temps in October. Denver does have decent warm-ups in the winter more often than the Midwest, and more sunshine, but its far from mild. We took an Amtrak train from Chicago to Colorado last march. We left Chicago it was sunny, beautiful, and 50 degrees. We enter the Colorado plains and the temps were hovering around 10 degrees. Denver was a slushy, icy mess. And come winter half of Arizona is filled with Denver folks escaping the crap up there. You should hear their horror stories.
Having sun in Winter makes the weather worlds easier. I can't believe you are even contemplating that Colorado and Chicago weather is comparable. It has been in the 80s and 90s here in Denver very day this month except for 3. What's the temperature been in Chicago? It was in the 50s for a whole week as per what my friends on Facebook were saying.

And Denver receives less than half of the precipitation that Chicago does on a yearly basis. Percipitation makes weather all the worse.

And Chicago doesn't even get a real summer. I was there for a week back in June of 2009 and it was in the 40s every night I was there.and the sun didn't show itself the entire week. My Chicago friends were posting pictures of gay pride this year and how cold they were. I wasnt envying that party one bit.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yup, when I realized he was completely unfamiliar with Midwestern weather I left it at that! No clue.
I have visited the Midwest numerous time, including Chicago during both summer and winter. It is cold there all the time. Never a break from the cold.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I have visited the Midwest numerous time, including Chicago during both summer and winter. It is cold there all the time. Never a break from the cold.
Are you familiar with the humid continental climate type (where Chicago lies)? Specifically it is the warm-summer subtype. I don't see how you could possibly characterize typical Chicago summers as cold when it has such a solidly continental climate.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Are you familiar with the humid continental climate type (where Chicago lies)? Specifically it is the warm-summer subtype. I don't see how you could possibly characterize typical Chicago summers as cold when it has such a solidly continental climate.
It was 42 degrees in June. That is cold.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:12 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This is going to open the door wide open for ridicule but I can't help myself. I saw this somewhere and it made me giggle.

This is awesome, my feelings about Minnesota is mutual! I swear we need to form a committee and greet all visitors that come into MSP with hot chocolate, blankets, tissues, warm hugs, and a good book to cry into.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:22 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
This is awesome, my feelings about Minnesota is mutual! I swear we need to form a committee and greet all visitors that come into MSP with hot chocolate, blankets, tissues, warm hugs, and a good book to cry into.
It a good joke, but no one I know knew how to handle winter driving like I did, and I moved from that crap. I can equally say the same thing about humidity.

You can't handle heat and humidity? Sissies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No, ND added 50,000 people in the last 3 years alone. That's very high for any place not named NYC or LA even in absolute numbers. And that figure is likely underestimated btw.

From your own link, out of top10, only 3 states I'd consider "Southern" -> Texas, Arizona, and Florida.
Perhaps look at the positive numbers and count, rather than pick an arbitrary ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Do you think he even LOOKed at it?
Careful. Do you have another summary to post? LOL

Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
It was 42 degrees in June. That is cold.
You realize that 42ºF in June is not normal for Chicago, right? A weather anomaly? Are you familiar with the concept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.