Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

LauraC, I would like to add 'checking on future prospects' to your list. The big lesson I have learned from this last move is to Watch out for the Boom. I am in a similar situation as cBach with Austin. In 5 years, Pittsburgh has changed drastically. This style of gentrification occurred often in the South but I never thought it would happen up North. I was so wrong. I am starting to believe smaller cities might be the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:14 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times
LauraC......it took a while, but I see I see I've finally gotten a Dr. Phil wannabe telling me what I'm doing wrong. I'm glad you read my original post and totally ignored the question I presented.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshpulihora View Post
Hello,
I know how you are feeling, Because i have experienced once before this situation.

Hi, you might be new to posting so I just wanted to let you know that since you didn't quote the person whose post to whom you were responding about knowing how they were feeling, we don't know whose post that could have been. Could you elaborate? What was your situation?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Hi, you might be new to posting so I just wanted to let you know that since you didn't quote the person whose post to whom you were responding about knowing how they were feeling, we don't know whose post that could have been. Could you elaborate? What was your situation?
I was curious, too, Minerva. I wish he/she would tell their story.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
LauraC......it took a while, but I see I see I've finally gotten a Dr. Phil wannabe telling me what I'm doing wrong. I'm glad you read my original post and totally ignored the question I presented.
If I was a Dr Phil wannabe I'd tell you where to go. I just offered research tips so you'd improve your results the next time.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I was a Dr Phil wannabe I'd tell you where to go. I just offered research tips so you'd improve your results the next time.
You know what you can do with your "research tips".

Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 AM

12 posts, read 23,240 times
Thanks for the thread. I am currently surrounded by boxes and packing supplies (decide to take a break and go on the forum). We will be moving back to WI after spending over 2 years in NC. We left WI in search of greener pastures. I thought that we'd get a head start on living where the weather was better and yet the schools are still good. We have an elementary age child. I had dreams of her going to college at NC state,Duke or Chapel Hill. She would get a job and get married and we'd all be in NC enjoying life. It has been said so many times "you are 2 hours to the beach and 4 hours to the mountains" how perfect! In all actuality, it really isn't as convenient as it sounds. I discovered that the Wake county school system has lots of problems.(pleased to say they finally gave the teachers a raise). I believe that recently Newsweek named Apex NC the ideal place to raise a family. I live in the suburb which was previously given that title, Cary. I did meet nice people and made some friends, but I am very eager to get back home . I miss the comraderie of fellow Packer fans, fish frys, wearing sweaters, and ect. I esp. miss the convenience of Chicago being nearby . ( art, great concerts, theater, international airport, food and ect )
I will never ever again read and rely solely upon those " best place to ... Live, retire , raise a family lists". Going forward , if we do indeed once again head south ... It will be as snowbirds.
I guess I can say we missed the worst winter that the Midwest had (which was last year). Hopefully we will bring a little warmth with us so it won't be as bad this year.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that'slife View Post
Thanks for the thread. I am currently surrounded by boxes and packing supplies (decide to take a break and go on the forum). We will be moving back to WI after spending over 2 years in NC. We left WI in search of greener pastures. I thought that we'd get a head start on living where the weather was better and yet the schools are still good. We have an elementary age child. I had dreams of her going to college at NC state,Duke or Chapel Hill. She would get a job and get married and we'd all be in NC enjoying life. It has been said so many times "you are 2 hours to the beach and 4 hours to the mountains" how perfect! In all actuality, it really isn't as convenient as it sounds. I discovered that the Wake county school system has lots of problems.(pleased to say they finally gave the teachers a raise). I believe that recently Newsweek named Apex NC the ideal place to raise a family. I live in the suburb which was previously given that title, Cary. I did meet nice people and made some friends, but I am very eager to get back home . I miss the comraderie of fellow Packer fans, fish frys, wearing sweaters, and ect. I esp. miss the convenience of Chicago being nearby . ( art, great concerts, theater, international airport, food and ect )
I will never ever again read and rely solely upon those " best place to ... Live, retire , raise a family lists". Going forward , if we do indeed once again head south ... It will be as snowbirds.
I guess I can say we missed the worst winter that the Midwest had (which was last year). Hopefully we will bring a little warmth with us so it won't be as bad this year.
I moved mostly for the weather.....and now I realize that there are far more important things.

Good luck with your return. I feel I will be doing so shortly.....long before 2 years.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that'slife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I moved mostly for the weather.....and now I realize that there are far more important things.

Good luck with your return. I feel I will be doing so shortly.....long before 2 years.
I have made two long distance moves in my life; Chicago to Portland, OR and recently Portland to Cleveland, OH. They have worked for me but sometimes long distance moves don't work and the only way to determine that is to try it and discover it they are right for the individual.

I saw many people move to Portland based on hype alone only to move back home or move on to other places because they discovered it was not right for them. Portland is one of those cities where people tend to do that these days which was not the case when I moved there in the 70's.

Then there were those who did extensive research but still found that their new city was just not what they expected. That happens too. It's like a marriage; you really don't know someone until you say those vows and you really don't know a new place until you have lived there.

My philosophy is, the planes, trains and highways go both ways and you never know until you take a chance and give it a try. As Dorothy said to the Scarecrow, "You'd be no worse off than before" but you would be a little wiser for the experience knowing you can cross a particular place off your list. Who knows? Maybe the rainbow was there in your own backyard. If not, there are lots of other places to explore. It's a big country out there.

Best of luck to both of you in finding the right place.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have made two long distance moves in my life; Chicago to Portland, OR and recently Portland to Cleveland, OH. They have worked for me but sometimes long distance moves don't work and the only way to determine that is to try it and discover it they are right for the individual.

I saw many people move to Portland based on hype alone only to move back home or move on to other places because they discovered it was not right for them. Portland is one of those cities where people tend to do that these days which was not the case when I moved there in the 70's.

Then there were those who did extensive research but still found that their new city was just not what they expected. That happens too. It's like a marriage; you really don't know someone until you say those vows and you really don't know a new place until you have lived there.

My philosophy is, the planes, trains and highways go both ways and you never know until you take a chance and give it a try. As Dorothy said to the Scarecrow, "You'd be no worse off than before" but you would be a little wiser for the experience knowing you can cross a particular place off your list. Who knows? Maybe the rainbow was there in your own backyard. If not, there are lots of other places to explore. It's a big country out there.

Best of luck to both of you in finding the right place.
Thanks for the words of empathy Minervah. You are so right. I did all kinds of research, and still ended up with the wrong place. thankfully, at least I'm not someone who married the wrong person and realized it on the honeymoon. I think that would be even worse.

I'll soon be heading back to Ohio....maybe we'll be in touch again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.