U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to a new, bigger city (we currently live in Greenwood, SC and we HATE it.) We are considering Charlotte, NC... Portland, OR... and Memphis, TN (because those 3 cities have job openings at the moment to where my husband could transfer.) Opinions? We are also open to other suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 PM

3,278 posts, read 4,894,761 times
They're all good choices. Can't go wrong. I would suggest flying down and checking stuff out.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 PM

7,762 posts, read 9,187,475 times
LOL, well what things do you want? They could all be perfect depending on what you like in a city.

I guess personally I'd pick Portland out of that bunch simply because I like the west coast, I am comfortable with the hipster vibe, and I love the focus on sustainability.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 AM

24,593 posts, read 38,609,028 times
Those are three very different cities. What do you hate about the current locale and wish to have in your new city?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 74,622,737 times
Charlotte and Portland would be my two choices for you, as Im not a fan of Memphis whatsoever. We'd need to know what youre looking for in a city, though. Memphis might be the best fit for you when all is said and done.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:18 PM

545 posts, read 1,015,864 times
look up "New Madrid Faultline". you do not want to move to Memphis lol. Portland #1, Charlotte #2

Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 9,557,835 times
Memphis has a lot of crime.

I'd go for Portland. Move somewhere different--Charlotte is still in the Carolinas. Go for adventure! And Portland is beautiful with great summer weather.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM

338 posts, read 507,684 times
What are you looking for in your ideal city?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,473,723 times
Memphis is one of the most dangerous, crime-ridden major cities in the US, never mind on your short list. It's also one of the most religious and socially conservative cities in the country, too. Speaking from personal experience, people who live in religious, socially conservative cities in the South tend to be narrow-minded, inclusive, and somewhat suspicious of outsiders, especially if those outsiders are from "up North." Lots of racial tension in those small and medium-sized Southern cities, too. Not to mention that, for the most part, Memphis is flat, boring, and humid with an economy and public educational system that leave much to be desired. If any of those reasons are why you and your husband dislike where you're currently living in SC, then you'd be better served by exploring your other options.

Compared to Memphis and Portland, Charlotte has a stronger, more diversified economy. However, to my understanding, competition for jobs in Charlotte is quite fierce--not only are you competing with many un/underemployed locals due to the region's high unemployment rate, you're also competing lots of people from the Northeast, Great Lakes area (specifically MI and OH), and FL who want to move to Charlotte, which is a very popular among people looking to move away from those three areas. Luckily, it seems like employment won't be much of an issue, given that your husband can easily transfer to the Charlotte office/division of his company.

Portland, OTOH, has the economy of Memphis, but the popularity of Charlotte, so decent well-paying jobs are probably hardest to come by there of your three choices, which is only concerning should your husband not like his new office and want a new or different job, or if you yourself need/want a job. Obviously, it depends on what your husband does for a living, but since Portland is the most expensive option of your three choices, you may have to look for work yourself should your husband accept that transfer. In other words, it would be a lot more difficult to get by on just one income in Portland compared to your other choices, not to mention moving there from SC would entail the the most expensive relocation of your three options due to it being the farthest away in terms of distance.

However, IMO, the higher COL of Portland is very justifiable, especially in relation to Charlotte and Memphis. Consistent with the West Coast, Portland has a progressive, tolerant, open-mind atmosphere and culture--no one cares what religion you are, what church you go--or don't go--to, and no one cares who you sleep with. Most people in Portland are originally from elsewhere with CA and various Midwestern states being the best represented places of origin, so no one cares where you're from, and no one will call you a "Yankee" if you're originally from the Northeast. A higher value is placed on health and wellness on the West Coast compared to the South, and active, outdoors-oriented lifestyles are strongly encouraged. The weather, especially in the summertime, is close to perfect, and the winters/springs, although gloomy/drizzly, are less cold overall than those of the Upper South. Volatile weather is virtually unheard of in Portland, too. But the piece de la resistance of Portland is the scenery--dramatic, picture-perfect nature and scenery abound, like something out of a Hollywood movie. You really can't go wrong.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:13 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,545,221 times
Memphis for the culture - The food and music. I would gain 50 pds if I moved there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.