Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
For me it would be anywhere not in NYC.
Same for Philly. Surprisingly there were places nearby in Delaware that seemed kind of wide open,kind of like out west. No gas stations for miles etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I grew up in the "middle of nowhere" and I can't wait to get back. I feel sorry for any people who have only experienced growing up in a city.
Same here,kind of. Where I grew up in NW NJ there was alot of woods and houses were a nice distance apart. Now I'm living the opposite and feel like a caged animal!
Btw some people who grew up in cities feel comfortable there and actually don't feel slighted by never having lived in the country. Sad.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 154,099 times
Default Northern Mexico

Between Piedras Negras and Nuevo Laredo, is a perfect example of the "middle of nowhere". First, you have to get nowhere, then get half-way back out to arrive at the middle. This area is undeveloped on both sides of the border, there are few houses and only one or two remote villages that are off the road that goes between the two cities. And the "cities" aren't even that big to start with! In addition, there's hardly anything for hundreds of miles around.
There is a military camp because there's a military check point on the way.
Look at it on Google Earth, and you'll see what I mean. I used to go back and forth pretty regularly, and it is void of civilization!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
"The middle of nowhere" to me means that the population density of the county that the town is located in is under 6 people per square mile. In the past I think some classification considered counties with under 6 people per square mile frontier counties.
I like definitions with some criteria. I like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Same for Philly. Surprisingly there were places nearby in Delaware that seemed kind of wide open,kind of like out west. No gas stations for miles etc.
I can't imagine where in Delaware. I lived in Newark/Wilmington for a while; it seemed very urban to me. I seriously can't imagine a place where there would be no gas stations for miles, depending on how many miles you are talking about.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I can't imagine where in Delaware. I lived in Newark/Wilmington for a while; it seemed very urban to me. I seriously can't imagine a place where there would be no gas stations for miles, depending on how many miles you are talking about.
Once you go south of Wilmington(heading onto Route 1)it starts to thin out a bit,especially heading towards central Delaware.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
If you cannot imagine NOT seeing a gas station every few miles, take a trip on U.S. 50 across Utah and Nevada sometime. It used to be nicknamed the lonliest road in the USA and I believe it.

During the 1960's and 1970's I made the trip from Nebraska to Santa Cruz, California quite often to visit my Father. I hated taking Interstate 80 all the time and I liked Hwy 50 across CO, UT, NV and then California. When I rode my Harley Sportster I had to pack an extra 2 gallon can of gas since the peanut tank on a Sportster only held 2-1/4 gallons. If I remember correctly there was one stretch of Hwy. 50 in Nevada where it was 150 miles from one gas station to the next.

At that time there was no speed limit in Nevada during daylight hours. On the trips when I was in a hurry I would take my 68 Vette with a special set of 3.36 gears in the rear. I remember overtaking and passing a Nevada Highway Patrol once at over 150 mph. I halfway expected to see his lights come on and pull me over but he didn't. I stopped at the next gas station and he pulled in a few minutes after I got there. He did a walk around of my Vette and checked the tires and everything and asked if he could see under the hood. He saw that big 427 with the 2 fours and headers and he just whistled. He did advise me that California had a speed limit and that was all.

Another thing I liked about Hwy. 50 was Fallon, Nevada. They had a bombing range there where Navy fighter jets off of aircraft carriers would drop practice bombs. The jets came in from North to South over Hwy. 50 and the first set of 55 gallon drums, stacked like bowling pins but on top of each other, were about 400 yards South of Hwy 50. Military Police or Nevada Hwy Patrol officers would close the road off at a point two or three miles from the range. This was in a valley about 50 miles across so it was just like having a seat on the fifty yard line. Watching those jets come in at about 400 mph and drop bombs on those targets was an unreal sight.The best thing. . . it didn't cost a dime.

I suppose Fallon, Nevada is just about as close to the middle of nowhere as you can get but it is great.

GL2

Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 PM

222 posts, read 690,983 times
Supply, NC
West Va

Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I live in a town of less than 400 people. We have 5,000 people in the county. The closest chain store/restaurant of any kind is at least 20 miles away.

But that's not quite the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
We take road trips each year cross-country and there are many areas (mainly in the western states) that are very isolated. Highway 50 through central Nevada and I-80 across the northern part of Nevada are extraordinarily desolate. We drove 50 across the desert for over two hours without seeing another car. A little frightening if something happens and you're not prepared.

I believe several other posters noted this as well, but most of Wyoming is very remote. The drive west from Casper is miles and miles of, literally, nothingness.

The vastness and solitude of these places is breathtaking when you're used to living in a large city with hustle and bustle 24 hours a day. It's a nice reprieve to see that places such as this still exist in our ever-changing world.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
the stretch on the alaska highway between dawson creek, bc and fort nelson, bc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.