Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:22 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
It's interesting to hear everyone's definitions of "middle of nowhere". I remember reading someone from Illinois posting on this forum once that until he had driven out west, he did not truly understand the meaning of the term. The eastern part of the midwest (east of the Missouri River anyway) has rural areas, but not truly desolate areas.
Id agree. Youre never more than a mile from a house in the midwest, especially in IL. I dont think it gets truly desolate until you hit the far western edge of the Texas panhandle. From there until CA there are tons of areas that are completely devoid of human life. Its kinda unnerving to look out the window at night and it looks like youre looking at a black curtain, your eyes have no light to focus on whatsoever. You just start doing the "oh please car, dont break down on me here" prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:25 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id agree. Youre never more than a mile from a house in the midwest, especially in IL. I dont think it gets truly desolate until you hit the far western edge of the Texas panhandle. From there until CA there are tons of areas that are completely devoid of human life. Its kinda unnerving to look out the window at night and it looks like youre looking at a black curtain, your eyes have no light to focus on whatsoever. You just start doing the "oh please car, dont break down on me here" prayer.
You should drive I-8 from north of Tuscon to San Diego sometime.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
The lower 48 has very few truly middle of nowhere areas.

The areas I visited that were seriously out there:
Northern Idaho around Headquarters.
The deserts and plains of New Mexico around Chaco or Mogollon.
Northern Montana/ N. Dakota
Southwest Texas around Presidio
Level 3 -5 roads that take you into the mountains of Colorado.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Area 51 in Nevada - there really is nothing there but some radioactive bomb shacks. Of course, you aren't supposed to be in there...

Old 12-29-2007, 01:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I live in a hamlet within a small town of <1200. We have no stores, no post office, no stop signs. We do have quite a few cows, numerous horses, barns in use and out of use, and many dirt roads.

I consider it in the middle of somewhere!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM

278 posts, read 910,157 times
After living in the city several years, I am now living rural again. To me, the middle of nowhere is when you can't see any neighbors, there is no pizza delivery, and Comcast service is still a few years away. I like living in the middle of nowhere....but it doesn't come with many amenities.....other than a wonderful peace and quiet.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
The lower 48 has very few truly middle of nowhere areas.

The areas I visited that were seriously out there:
Northern Idaho around Headquarters.
The deserts and plains of New Mexico around Chaco or Mogollon.
Northern Montana/ N. Dakota
Southwest Texas around Presidio
Level 3 -5 roads that take you into the mountains of Colorado.
Way eastern Colorado on I-76 (east of Sterling) and it's companion, way western Nebraska on I-80 until you get to Ogallala (sp?) is pretty remote. Also most of Wyoming.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Mentone, TX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentone%2C_Texas

enuf said!!!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
You know you're in the middle of nowhere when your driving down the highway and notice something seems to be missing and it's there's no fences lining either side of the highway. I experienced that while driving through the desolated butte country in the western end of the Oklahoma panhandle.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:20 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySRA View Post
In your opinion, what is "the middle of nowhere"? Do you consider towns with 20,000 people that have at least 1 interstate, a shopping area, to be the "middle of nowhere" when theres towns of only 500 people that are at least a half and hour away from anywhere?
The actual middle of nowhere to me is/was the northeast corner of Arizona. My ma used to live 25 miles from town. Ten of those miles were to the nearest paved road. (east of Snowflake/Taylor just south of Petrified National Forest)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.