Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times

Advertisements

Halfway between Boise and Reno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Living in large urban areas for my entire life, my definition of "middle of nowhere" was typically biased. I definitely considered the area where my cousins lived, about 20 miles outside of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to be the middle of nowhere, because even though they lived in a little community of several hundred homes, to go to any sort of store took at least 10 minutes and required traveling down winding mountain roads, and passed large fields and farms and that sort of thing.

My definition of middle of nowhere changed when I drove cross-country from Virginia to California, and found myself in west Texas, that large stretch in between San Antonio and El Paso. Now THAT is the middle of nowhere. There was one point where I did not see another living thing, not a single structure, not another car passing me by for one hour. It was the sort of place where I filled up for gas at every chance I got because I didn't know how long it'd be til I saw another station. It was a very eerie feeling for me, to look at a map and see where I was and realize that there was just NOTHING around me for miles on end.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Living in large urban areas for my entire life, my definition of "middle of nowhere" was typically biased. I definitely considered the area where my cousins lived, about 20 miles outside of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to be the middle of nowhere, because even though they lived in a little community of several hundred homes, to go to any sort of store took at least 10 minutes and required traveling down winding mountain roads, and passed large fields and farms and that sort of thing.

My definition of middle of nowhere changed when I drove cross-country from Virginia to California, and found myself in west Texas, that large stretch in between San Antonio and El Paso. Now THAT is the middle of nowhere. There was one point where I did not see another living thing, not a single structure, not another car passing me by for one hour. It was the sort of place where I filled up for gas at every chance I got because I didn't know how long it'd be til I saw another station. It was a very eerie feeling for me, to look at a map and see where I was and realize that there was just NOTHING around me for miles on end.
Very true lol

Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
What time of day did you make that journey?

Old 12-29-2007, 10:06 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Western Oklahoma

Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
It's interesting to hear everyone's definitions of "middle of nowhere". I remember reading someone from Illinois posting on this forum once that until he had driven out west, he did not truly understand the meaning of the term. The eastern part of the midwest (east of the Missouri River anyway) has rural areas, but not truly desolate areas.
Pittnurse, this is quite true. I was visiting some of the national parks in Utah in September. Visitors from Europe are very common at those parks, and one of the main attractions of the western US to them is the vastness of it all, the almost endless amount of land that is raw and undeveloped. You cannot get that sense of vast wide open spaces in hardly any place in central Europe or most parts of the Eastern US.
My nomination for "middle of nowhere" town in the US would be Austin or Ely, NV on lonely US highway 50 in the east central part of the state in the heart of the Great Basin. The only place in the vicinity resembling a city might be Elko, NV, which is maybe 3+ hours drive, and Elko itself deserves an honorable mention for being in the middle of nowhere.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Western Oklahoma
Second that

Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
You are in the middle of nowhere when you can't get a single radio station on either dial. That is pretty much all of I-40 through New Mexico except for the Albuquerque area.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
from my experience, many parts of WY, MT, ND, and south dakota have miny towns near nothing and lots of areas of just nothing. But they're some of my favorite states

Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 AM

49 posts, read 166,549 times
The middle of nowhere..... It's a place I'd like to be. But probably getting filled up with folks from the witness protection program. You know - the rough and tumble type. To be honest, sometimes man needs to find himself in the middle of nowhere in order to find himself - thank GOD for ND or NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.