Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM

545 posts, read 1,099,838 times

Advertisements

Do major cities help or hurt other cities in the state? For example, does New York City contribute a lot of tax dollars to Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, keeping these cities afloat? Or does NYC take most of the money and policies of the state, keeping these other cities down? I would think NYC helps these other cities, but a lot of people in the lesser cities talk about "seceding" from NYC. Similar thing in Pennsylvania, western PA doesn't want Philly in their state sometimes. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
I know Chicago subsidizes the rest of the state and gives them money (even though people downstate think the opposite). I would have to assume it's the same for other very large successful cities with large economies. Pound for pound a city like NYC or Chicago is going to create a lot more in tax revenue for the state than a small rural town with no real industry or service economy, but a few thousand people living there.

Of course Illinois' other cities are fairly stagnant or doing somewhat poorly. The Chicago area is in much better shape as far as economy and having a lower unemployment rate (6.2%) than the rest of the state (7.1% overall). That would have an influence. I'm assuming NYC is doing better than Buffalo or Rochester.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
They help.
On the other side of the coin, many of the cities are hurt by the rest of their states by sucking up more than their fair share of the tax revenue created in the cities. Clearly there are exceptions to this rule but it's more true than not across the country and some rural areas contribute more to society than others. For example, food farmers are far more important to the US than tobacco farmers.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:32 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times
I think in most cases they help a state. Bring larger population size more national clout. You can have the debate about where the suck and draw for money goes on in state. I would like to see actual data before I claimed a city syphoned funds from the out state areas or vice versa. Politically a major city can also dominate state politics which I've also heard out state residents gripe about. But when you have the lions share of the votes you're going to control a lions share of the opinion. It's the "downside" to majority rule.

The only case I think where the major city hurts the state is the example of Detroit. The Detroit area contributes to Michigan bringing clout, wealth, major upscale brands ect. The Detroit area accounts for about 45% of Michigan residents. But accounts for almost 100% of Michigan's popular reputation. Really the city itself accounts for about 7% of the states population, but I often hear people lumping the entire state in with the city. If someone has never been to Michigan, all they seem to know is the tired stigma of the city. I would say that's the case where the major city hurts the state.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:56 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I know Chicago subsidizes the rest of the state and gives them money (even though people downstate think the opposite). I would have to assume it's the same for other very large successful cities with large economies. Pound for pound a city like NYC or Chicago is going to create a lot more in tax revenue for the state than a small rural town with no real industry or service economy, but a few thousand people living there.

Of course Illinois' other cities are fairly stagnant or doing somewhat poorly. The Chicago area is in much better shape as far as economy and having a lower unemployment rate (6.2%) than the rest of the state (7.1% overall). That would have an influence. I'm assuming NYC is doing better than Buffalo or Rochester.
Chicagoland totally dominates the state of IL. there is a definite downside for downstate as their representation in state govt is quite limited.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:27 PM

545 posts, read 1,099,838 times
what about if NYC or LA were to have a serious natural disaster. would this affect the rest of the state cities negatively, because they would have to pay for the clean up? This could be a regular occurance down the road..

Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

There's a strong misconception here, as if other cities or downstate illinois wouldn't survive without Chicago, which is absolutely rubbish. If anything, it's really the suburbs that get les than than the money they spend. And there is a very well documented disparity in state school funding in the Chicago area vs. downstate. Several cities downstate (Bloomington, Champaign, Springfield) are doing fine and have historically lower unemployment and more stable economies than Chicago. Both Chicago (largest cultural and corporate center) and downstate (largest agricultural and resource center) need each other, and it's an absolute mistake of hubris to pit one against the other.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 10-03-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 06:08 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
There's a strong misconception here, as if other cities or downstate illinois wouldn't survive without Chicago, which is absolutely rubbish. If anything, it's really the suburbs that get les than than the money they spend. And there is a very well documented disparity in state school funding in the Chicago area vs. downstate. Several cities downstate (Bloomington, Champaign, Springfield) are doing fine and have historically lower unemployment and more stable economies than Chicago. Both Chicago (largest cultural and corporate center) and downstate (largest agricultural and resource center) need each other, and it's an absolute mistake of hubris to pit one against the other.
I would say that C/U (U of I), B/N (ISU), and Springfield (capital) generate a good percentage of their economy based on the Chicago area.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
what about if NYC or LA were to have a serious natural disaster. would this affect the rest of the state cities negatively, because they would have to pay for the clean up? This could be a regular occurance down the road..
so do you suggest no cities and economic producing engines?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Do major cities help or hurt other cities in the state? For example, does New York City contribute a lot of tax dollars to Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, keeping these cities afloat? Or does NYC take most of the money and policies of the state, keeping these other cities down? I would think NYC helps these other cities, but a lot of people in the lesser cities talk about "seceding" from NYC. Similar thing in Pennsylvania, western PA doesn't want Philly in their state sometimes. What do you think?
That would be foolish since Philadelphia produces 41% of Pennsylvania's GDP and Pittsburgh just 20%. Philadelphia receives far less funding back from the state than it produces, and without it Pennsylvania would be like another Mississippi or West Virginia. If anything perhaps Pittsburgh should be acquired by West Virginia, it wouldn't be that much of a loss in PA in terms of production versus funding and would benefit West Virginia tremendously in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.