Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times

Advertisements

The New England accent tends to disappear the further west you go, although you can still hear it in rural areas in northern New England. My hometown of Burlington, VT sounds almost midwestern..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Based on my experiences: Most of CT, Western MA, Most of Upstate NY/Western NY, Ohio (especially in the cities, and north of Columbus), Northern IN, Northern IL, Iowa, most of Nebraska.

I think most of the West coast (CA, OR, WA) is pretty neutral as far as accents go relating to the "general American" accent. I grew up in Toledo, Ohio, and have lived in Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Boston, and now live in the San Francisco area.

This does seem to align with this Wikipedia map: General American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 PM

233 posts, read 373,982 times

Iowa has a very similar language patter to Illinois, Indiana, Ohio. Most of the populated areas of Iowa actually lie within some form of a Northern accent.

I think amount of education has to do with how much of an "accent" someone has. DuPage county Illinois (wealthiest county in the Midwest) has many residents who speak PERFECT proper sounding English, with no northern cities shift, however you drive a few miles and can find a very thick Great Lakes blue collar accent.

I've heard people claim, even some locals, that news anchors are scouted after in places like Iowa. That's hilarious. I think, if anything, many anchors over time eliminate their accent and try to neutralize it - that doesn't mean they actually come from places with less of an accent - like little homely Iowa of 3 million people... Goodness.

Most people, especially in rural northern Iowa have a very Minnesota like twang, the further south you go you get into more of the "Midland" sound which is somewhat more slow talking - but nowhere near as southern as parts of Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, or Missouri.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
The United States is a big country. No one area looks, sounds or is any more American than the other.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The United States is a big country. No one area looks, sounds or is any more American than the other.

I agree. We are all Americans and no area sounds more American than another. America is a melting pot.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One of the few weird Connecticutisms is pronouncing aunt so it doesn't rhyme with ant. I think people also do this in the Boston area, and of course black people do this nationwide. But it certainly isn't standard American English.
It isn't? I pronounce aunt that other way and I grew up in NEPA. I've been asked if I'm from the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.