Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 PM

545 posts, read 1,100,993 times

Advertisements

Will cities such as Albany NY and Allentown PA make comebacks and gain population, or die out in future? They seem to be slowly growing again, but will this trend continue, or will they be swallowed up by the large cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 PM

338 posts, read 556,686 times
Small northeastern cities like Albany and Allentown aren't going to make a comeback. Those places don't have nearly as much to offer as smaller cities in the south. Mainly due to lower taxes and more sun.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM

93,333 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Actually, Albany grew slightly in population between 2000-2010 and such cities may comeback, if people think for themselves, discover them and if the economy has what people want. Albany is close to mountains and the Bos-Wash corridor, while having around an average overall COL. So, it will depend.

I'd also say that certain neighborhoods in these cities may also become popular, if they aren't already. Just to use Albany again, Center Square is an area that comes to mind: Historic Center Square Neighborhood - Albany, NY

Lark Street Business Improvement District

Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Small northeastern cities like Albany and Allentown aren't going to make a comeback. Those places don't have nearly as much to offer as smaller cities in the south. Mainly due to lower taxes and more sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Albany grew slightly in population between 2000-2010 and such cities may comeback, if people think for themselves, discover them and if the economy has what people want. Albany is close to mountains and the Bos-Wash corridor, while having around an average overall COL. So, it will depend.

I'd also say that certain neighborhoods in these cities may also become popular, if they aren't already. Just to use Albany again, Center Square is an area that comes to mind: Historic Center Square Neighborhood - Albany, NY

Lark Street Business Improvement District

Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, for me personally I'd find a lot more things to do around Albany than I would in places like Greensboro, Columbia, Huntsville, Greenville, or Little Rock. Albany is in a very good location within a few hours of Boston, NYC, and Montreal, a quick jaunt to the Adirondacks, Catskills, VT's Green Mountains, and and close to some beautiful natural lakes to swim in the summer. I could live there. No doubt that the area needs work though and a good dose of urban pioneers, especially Schenectady and Troy.

It's hard to predict what kind of conditions mid sized cities in any region will be like in say 2030.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-07-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Albany is a state capital so unless it would be moved there will always been some need for Albany to function.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM

506 posts, read 326,743 times
It really depends on what the city has to offer and what the city's main industries are.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 PM

93,333 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Yeah, for me personally I'd find a lot more things to do around Albany than I would in places like Greensboro, Columbia, Huntsville, Greenville, or Little Rock. Albany is in a very good location within a few hours of Boston, NYC, and Montreal, a quick jaunt to the Adirondacks, Catskills, VT's Green Mountains, and and close to some beautiful natural lakes to swim in the summer. I could live there. No doubt that the area needs work though and a good dose of urban pioneers, especially Schenectady and Troy.

It's hard to predict what kind of conditions mid sized cities in any region will be like in say 2030.
The Downtowns and neighborhoods near the colleges in Schenectady and Troy have seen some interest. Both cities actually had population growth between 2000-2010. There's also nearby Cohoes, which has also seen some investment. Neighborhoods

Gazette The New Schenectady

Cohoes, NY Directory | Tourist Attractions | Shopping | Dining | Entertainment | Albany | Cohoes | New York | NY

Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Will cities such as Albany NY and Allentown PA make comebacks and gain population, or die out in future? They seem to be slowly growing again, but will this trend continue, or will they be swallowed up by the large cities?
Mid-sized cities aren't typically within geographic range of big cities that could "swallow them up" and as pointed out most of them are mid-sized for a reason, usually as state capitals or college towns. It's been proven over the years (especially the past several) that these type of cities have continued to thrive in the midst of a downturn because of the college or governmental presence (or both). I think arguably mid-sized cities are more the future than the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.