Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I would say that being the home for Coca Cola and CNN would make Atlanta more iconic than many of the cities being championed. Also, how many of the cities being championed have hosted a Summer Olympics?
CNN is mostly in NYC these days. And why would the HQ of a beverage company make a city iconic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I agree DC has more to do, but to someone from Europe, where monuments, museums, and other things are commonplace, Las Vegas is "different" and "exciting" to them. The fact is that no other city like it exists in the world, a sort of imaginary wonderland in the desert.

You can hate Las Vegas all you want, but that doesn't lessen the attraction from foreigners. It's as iconic as Graceland, the Statue of Liberty, or Mount Rushmore.
I do not hate Las Vegas lol no reason too but it's not a world class city.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I do not hate Las Vegas lol no reason too but it's not a world class city.
I never said it was, but it is an iconic city which is what the question was.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If you clearly looked at my whole conversation my response was to the person saying before. I never said you said it was a world class city, the person I responded to made it out to seem that way and was bashing dc. There was no need for your input in the first place but ok

Old 10-15-2014, 02:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
It's not an "iconic city". It's a city with an iconic street running through it (Las Vegas Blvd - the strip). That's like saying Anaheim is an iconic city because Disneyland is there. Nobody travels to Las Vegas from foreign countries and says "Oh, I can't wait to see Summerlin!", or "Oh, I can't wait to go to Winchester!". They go there for the strip, and maybe downtown. That's it.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
It's not an "iconic city". It's a city with an iconic street running through it (Las Vegas Blvd - the strip). That's like saying Anaheim is an iconic city because Disneyland is there. Nobody travels to Las Vegas from foreign countries and says "Oh, I can't wait to see Summerlin!", or "Oh, I can't wait to go to Winchester!". They go there for the strip, and maybe downtown. That's it.
Thank you, these people aren't getting it.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And why would the HQ of a beverage company make a city iconic?
I would ask the same question if Coca-Cola wasn't the most recognized brand in the world.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I have relatives overseas (Indonesia and Singapore) and from talking to them...

NYC
LA
Vegas
DC
SF
Miami

are pretty much the only American cities they know anything about or even somewhat care about.
Overseas people have never heard of Harvard, BU, MIT, or the American Revolution?

Quote:
"In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland.”

Quote by Mark Twain.
"In Boston they ask, how much does he know? In New York, how much is he worth? In Philadelphia, who were his parents?"

Quote by Mark Twain.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:29 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
I agree DC has more to do, but to someone from Europe, where monuments, museums, and other things are commonplace, Las Vegas is "different" and "exciting" to them. The fact is that no other city like it exists in the world, a sort of imaginary wonderland in the desert.

You can hate Las Vegas all you want, but that doesn't lessen the attraction from foreigners. It's as iconic as Graceland, the Statue of Liberty, or Mount Rushmore.
I have found it rather surprising how little most Europeans (that I've met) seem to care about DC. The museums and monuments generally don't seem to be too big of a draw in consideration of all those back home, plus the inclusion of American history being relatively short. Most people that I meet who are interested in the US care most about NYC, the wild west/national parks (SF, LA, and Vegas often get roped in as a road trip here), or beaches.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:03 PM

657 posts, read 801,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Overseas people have never heard of Harvard, BU, MIT, or the American Revolution?

"In Boston they ask, how much does he know? In New York, how much is he worth? In Philadelphia, who were his parents?"

Quote by Mark Twain.
The guy is right, despite all the top universites, few people outside the US care about Boston or know anything about the actual city; most assume it's just a smaller NYC. Which is a shame, because it's a very nice city with it's own distinct culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.