Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 02:06 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I can relate to that claustrophobic feeling.
I miss the openness that the west offers.
Different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I prefer pine trees, I have a yard full of various evergreen trees, much better than dealing with the nasty sun baking my yard all year, and cuts down on wind and evaporation. Open areas with little vegetation just have horrible climates and tons of wind, I lived in those areas, NEVER AGAIN. Not to mention constant drought and fire threats.
Western Washington has a good balance between dense evergreen forests to the wide open flat farmlands of Skagit with distant mountains in the horizons.

Skagit, own photo

Whidbey, own photo

Olympics, own photo

All photos from Western Washington

Last edited by Guineas; 08-18-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 02:23 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Western Washington has a good balance between dense forests to the wide open flat farmlands of Skagit with distant mountains in the horizons.

Skagit, own photo

Whidbey, own photo

Olympics, own photo

All photos from Western Washington
Yep, I'm familiar with the PNW. I went to high school in Portland. I only ventured up to Seattle once but I'm sure the scenery is very similar.

Probably top 3 best scenery in USA.

If it wasn't so much for the overcast weather I would probably move up there again.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:30 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It gets old quick, especially when driving on the flat Interstate through Mississippi. The tall and thick pine trees growing on both sides is like driving through a tunnel.
It depends where you are. Every eastern state has at least some forested areas that are hilly, making the roadside scenery less monotonous, even Indiana.

Roads in the east that travel along rivers are often prettier than ones in the west as well. Things like this and this are okay but I'd rather look at something with more lush foliage overhanging the water.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It gets old quick, especially when driving on the flat Interstate through Mississippi. The tall and thick pine trees growing on both sides is like driving through a tunnel.
I think it depends where we are talking about. Places like Vermont are very hilly and green...stuff like that wouldn't get old but some place as you describe definitely would(to me anyway).
EDIT: didn't even see the response above me cover this lol.
Some Vermont pics. I wouldn't get bored of seeing stuff like this:

Old 08-18-2021, 05:08 PM

156 posts, read 168,441 times
Because they're mostly right. I've been to Arkansas and I very much enjoyed my time there.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:27 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I think it depends where we are talking about. Places like Vermont are very hilly and green...stuff like that wouldn't get old but some place as you describe definitely would(to me anyway).
EDIT: didn't even see the response above me cover this lol.
Some Vermont pics. I wouldn't get bored of seeing stuff like this:

The last one is VT?

Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The last one is VT?
That's what it said at least. Not my image however.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:12 PM

119 posts, read 116,882 times
The PNW is gorgeous, however I feel like climate change is turning it brown and crunchy pretty rapidly.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There's a 3,000+ acre fire burning in the Minnesota Northwoods right now, and nearly all of MN is under some form of drought. It's not the west.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...r.aspx?Midwest

Wisconsin has a history of large, destructive wildfires. The Peshtigo Fire of 1871 burned over a million acres and killed more than 2,000 people.
Fires and drought can certainly occur in the Northwoods, however, the western US has much greater magnitude and quantity of fires and drought with no end in sight. Overall climate warming is more pronounced there as well.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
Because they're mostly right. I've been to Arkansas and I very much enjoyed my time there.
Well, yeah, Hot Springs where Clinton lived when young and Eureka Springs are interesting places to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.