Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 09:46 PM

5,871 posts, read 15,279,974 times

Advertisements

For me life in Seattle and Los Angeles meant a much better quality of life than my life back east. The weather alone with less oppressive heat, humidity and bugs. Less of those cold days with leafless trees and no flowers. Much more attractive natural beauty. The people are nicer. Big city life is here. Fantastic cities for outdoor enthusiasts. Endless ocean at your feet. Blooming flowers and trees year around. Great getaways to Vancouver, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Catalina Island and so many more. Some of these things might be meaningless to some, but for me, I'm a much happier person on the west coast. I guess it depends on each individual's experience particularly those who experienced living on both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 10:01 PM

13,130 posts, read 7,618,088 times
In Seattle area,
Packing up the portable AC for the season. Today hi-71, lo-50.
Wife and I agreed that if weather is going to much colder, the down comforters are coming out of storage. We are already doubling the throws blankets.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:20 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,987,563 times
Because it does. People have been there, moved there-its the general consensus. That's why but grows faster. If people insist that it does then it is probably a good indicator that it's checking boxes for people.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,438,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I've never seen the appeal of the West. It's "too far out there/isolated", it's actually fairly new in grand scheme and has an auto-centric orientation (sprawl). I actually, oddly, kind of pity the West. There's not enough fresh water and its population has overextended on resources. There are beautiful areas and the weather is nice. However, it's been a rough dozen years and unfortunately, it's going to get worse, very fast.
I agree here too. One thing the east will never to have to worry about are drought like conditions seen out west. Give me blizzards any day over wildfires & drought

Old 08-24-2021, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 6,069 times
I just bought land out west. It's been my lifelong dream to move there and live. I hate the South and detest east coast attitudes.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
San Diego, Seattle, Portland, El Paso, Salt Lake City, and San Jose are all generally right up there with NYC as far as low crime rates go.

I'd imagine if we were to compare crime rates for western cities with eastern cities, western cities would generally be lower.
Those cities are nowhere near the size of NYC though.

I don't agree western cities are safer. Says who?

Old 08-25-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I actually think quality of life has more to do with personal preferences than is something that is quantitative. I find QOL where I live to be just fine for me. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything where I live. I enjoy what I want out of what NJ has to offer to the fullest extent. On things less about preference, we also have great healthcare in my area - few hospitals are better than NYC ones like NYU, Columbia, and Cornell. NJ has some that are excellent, as well. But as far as activities and enjoying what your area has to offer, or simply what it has to offer, it depends on what one is looking for.
I'm a lifer in NY and I agree here. Seasons are wonderful things. We have everything in this area you could possibly ask for.

Sure we don't have deserts or palm trees, but I don't care about that stuff and actually NYC does have palm trees lol ... there is a co that imports them and puts in around various spots in the city.

But, I love my life in the Northeast. So much to do. I hike. I go to the beach. I ski. I go to wineries. I enjoy the snow. I enjoy the warmth. There's mountains, wineries, surfing, boating, farms ... I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

The west underwhelms me and the weather isn't varied enough, it's boring. Winter should feel like winter. I don't want any of that 50/60 degree crap in December. Give me snow, give me cold.

The northeast just does it for me in so many ways.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:25 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,926,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
San Diego, Seattle, Portland, El Paso, Salt Lake City, and San Jose are all generally right up there with NYC as far as low crime rates go.

I'd imagine if we were to compare crime rates for western cities with eastern cities, western cities would generally be lower.

Salt Lake?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Quote:
With a crime rate of 67 per one thousand residents, Salt Lake City has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15."]With a crime rate of 67 per one thousand residents, Salt Lake City has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15.

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2021 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,755,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The west underwhelms me and the weather isn't varied enough, it's boring. Winter should feel like winter. I don't want any of that 50/60 degree crap in December. Give me snow, give me cold.

The northeast just does it for me in so many ways.
The great thing about the west coast is if you want snow you can just head to nearby mountains.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,033,929 times
There's just not enough fresh water to sustain the growth. There wasn't much to begin with and now we are seeing what happens when every drop is pumped out of the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.