Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 12:34 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,151,342 times

Advertisements

Crime rates are most definitely NOT lower in the western US, on the whole property crime is worse than the eastern US.

It'll be interesting to see if the historic growth continues through this decade or not. One thing that was clear last census was it was metro west that grew. The rural west was stagnant, which to me indicates that scenery alone isn't enough to draw people to rural areas. For the small city / exurb realm, the eastern US has more options than the west, and that seems to be the new hot locations.

Regardless of where people live, I think it is good for people in the east to visit the west and vice versa. It's cool to see the variety across the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But heres the thing, some ppl love snow & winter. I for one hate the West. Bring me snow, humidity, rain, changing leaves, distinct seasons, all of it. I’m not interested in “dry weather”
We are close to as far west as you can get in Sammamish WA and we have snow (some) and 60" of rain annually, with nice fall leaf color, humidity September-June, jut not in summer when it's hot. I agree, not interested in dry weather.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
In Seattle area,
Packing up the portable AC for the season. Today hi-71, lo-50.
Wife and I agreed that if weather is going to much colder, the down comforters are coming out of storage. We are already doubling the throws blankets.
I wouldn't be so quick to pack in the AC, because we always seem to get a few days in early September in the 80s. We are still using ours in the bedroom upstairs at night, without it gets to 76 and we like it at about 67 for sleeping.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
The great thing about the west coast is if you want snow you can just head to nearby mountains.
Or you can live in the Northeast & have the snow come to you …

Old 08-25-2021, 06:41 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Crime rates are most definitely NOT lower in the western US, on the whole property crime is worse than the eastern US.

It'll be interesting to see if the historic growth continues through this decade or not. One thing that was clear last census was it was metro west that grew. The rural west was stagnant, which to me indicates that scenery alone isn't enough to draw people to rural areas. For the small city / exurb realm, the eastern US has more options than the west, and that seems to be the new hot locations.

Regardless of where people live, I think it is good for people in the east to visit the west and vice versa. It's cool to see the variety across the US.
True in that people from one side should work to visit the other side. Every time I go out East I think about how *green* everything is. It’s like that much green isn’t even possible! It’s like a color on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to pack in the AC, because we always seem to get a few days in early September in the 80s. We are still using ours in the bedroom upstairs at night, without it gets to 76 and we like it at about 67 for sleeping.
I’ll trade you. I can barely get my AC to get to 76, let alone 67.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,953,288 times
Quote:
Or you can live in the Northeast & have the snow come to you …
More fun and less hassle having drive-to snow.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:41 PM

10,235 posts, read 15,949,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraline_13 View Post
I've lived on the east coast, down south and Midwest (ohio) but I have never truly ventured out west. As I try to figure out my next move...most people suggest western states. Why do they have a so called better quality of life? I'm convinced colorado is lovely. Scenic. Lots to do outdoors. Laid back. But not sure if it's worth the snow. You couldn't pay me to move to cali nor could I pay to live there! Asides california, what is it about the west??
Some Western states and cities like California, Seattle, etc definitely do NOT have a better quality of life, with major issues involving crime, homelessness, illegal immigration, and a ridiculous cost of living.

But the inland West though.....most of those cities don't have large ghettoes the way most Northeastern, Southern, and Midwestern cities do. The worst parts of Denver and Colorado Springs are nothing compared to the inner cities of Baltimore, Detroit, or Chicago. The West also doesn't have the Rust Belt history of deindustrialization and the social ills that comes with that. In general economic and job growth is higher in the West because those areas are being more quickly developed though this is also true in Sunbelt cities in the South and Texas.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:13 PM

218 posts, read 156,608 times
Quote:
I'm a lifer in NY and I agree here. Seasons are wonderful things. We have everything in this area you could possibly ask for.

Sure we don't have deserts or palm trees, but I don't care about that stuff and actually NYC does have palm trees lol ... there is a co that imports them and puts in around various spots in the city.

But, I love my life in the Northeast. So much to do. I hike. I go to the beach. I ski. I go to wineries. I enjoy the snow. I enjoy the warmth. There's mountains, wineries, surfing, boating, farms ... I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

The west underwhelms me and the weather isn't varied enough, it's boring. Winter should feel like winter. I don't want any of that 50/60 degree crap in December. Give me snow, give me cold.

The northeast just does it for me in so many ways.
Of course, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. But I am highly curious. If you honestly think the bolded applies to the entire West, then just what on earth is your definition of "the West?"

Old 08-25-2021, 11:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,429,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Eh. It cools off to the 50s at night now in Seattle. Open up the windows and turn on a fan at night. No need for air conditioner. Open windows at night and close them during the day. Keeps the temperatures well regulated, unless you live in one of those modern glass box buildings with a flat roof.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,748,681 times
Lifelong East Coaster who moved out West six years ago. Much of the country east of the Rockies looks boring to me now, flat, same trees, blah landscape. I'm in Northern California and every kind of plant grows here - from citrus to palm trees to live oaks and we have mountains and hills everywhere. There's a ton to do and many of the towns and suburbs have small downtowns with surprisingly good restaurants. No snow, which I like, but couple times a winter you can see snow on the mountain peaks. Can always drive to Tahoe if you miss it which I don't.

QoL has dropped in San Francisco itself. Was encouraged to see Venice Beach cleaned up down in SoCal, will take a ton of effort to clean up SF, especially with the atrocious far left city government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.