Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 12:17 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,442,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Of course, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. But I am highly curious. If you honestly think the bolded applies to the entire West, then just what on earth is your definition of "the West?"
Just some dude who has never been to the West and extrapolating. His description of the weather on the West is closer to Seattle. But Seattle has four seasons and way more pleasant weather than NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 07:35 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,190,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Some Western states and cities like California, Seattle, etc definitely do NOT have a better quality of life, with major issues involving crime, homelessness, illegal immigration, and a ridiculous cost of living.

But the inland West though.....most of those cities don't have large ghettoes the way most Northeastern, Southern, and Midwestern cities do. The worst parts of Denver and Colorado Springs are nothing compared to the inner cities of Baltimore, Detroit, or Chicago. The West also doesn't have the Rust Belt history of deindustrialization and the social ills that comes with that. In general economic and job growth is higher in the West because those areas are being more quickly developed though this is also true in Sunbelt cities in the South and Texas.
That is true, but the crime is more spread out in the west. You can get away from it easier when it's concentrated in one spot. I don't think it really matters where it happens, the metro area property crime is the most important number for your average non thugs QOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We are close to as far west as you can get in Sammamish WA and we have snow (some) and 60" of rain annually, with nice fall leaf color, humidity September-June, jut not in summer when it's hot. I agree, not interested in dry weather.
If only there were more acres of PNW climate and less acres of Rock Springs WY climate...

With the eastern US, there's nowhere that really has a BAD climate, while 50% of the west could be classified as bad, at least it's bad without having a quick easy way to get water in. That's why there's big swaths of empty across the west.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:28 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,805,552 times
My opinion:
The west is not as humid, less buggy, more scenic. Those are the biggest draws. If that's what sums up quality of life for someone, then sure. Not knocking it, I completely understand.
Also, it has more parts that are more transient making it a bit easier to adjust for those of us who like to move around once in a while. You don't feel the need to explain yourself, and people are more understanding about it.
There are a few places in the east like that, but not as many it seems.

That being said, the west generally seems very expensive to those of us from the south or lower midwest. At least for anything comparable. Pound-for-pound, it's a no-brainer. I was absolutely floored looking into parts of Idaho recently. Places like Phoenix used to be more reasonable, but not so much anymore. Albuquerque? Well... it's Albuquerque.
A lot (not all) of the smaller towns out west seem seedy and/or run-down compared to a lot (not all) of the small towns in the midwest (especially upper) or northeast.
Those small towns out west might be more affordable than their big-city counterparts, but I'm not sure I'd find very many of them I'd want to live in.
Outside the better, more expensive areas of the big cities, there's not a whole lot to choose from out west. For a blue-collar middle-class person, that's a problem.
A lot of the west can be more depressing than one might assume considering it's the "newer" part of the country.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That is true, but the crime is more spread out in the west. You can get away from it easier when it's concentrated in one spot. I don't think it really matters where it happens, the metro area property crime is the most important number for your average non thugs QOL.

If only there were more acres of PNW climate and less acres of Rock Springs WY climate...

With the eastern US, there's nowhere that really has a BAD climate, while 50% of the west could be classified as bad, at least it's bad without having a quick easy way to get water in. That's why there's big swaths of empty across the west.
I actually spent a night at a motel in Rock Springs years ago in the fall, and remember it well, the only place I have ever been with hot water in the toilets.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,098,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The issue I have with most areas of the West these days is that the threat of drought and fires seem to be growing worse by the year, covering a much larger geographic area and scope. That combined with the constant dry air and excessive sun is far more than I would prefer to deal with overall. I enjoy plenty of vacations to the western US, however.

Isn't "excessive sun" similar to "too much fun". I believe it was Commander Cody that said "I ain't never had too much fun".

Old 08-27-2021, 12:14 AM

10,262 posts, read 16,003,083 times
Quote:

I must disagree with this. I consider most of Upstate New York, New England, most of Pennsylvania, and Upper Midwest areas like northern Ohio, Michigan etc to have a very brutal climate.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:55 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,805,552 times
Quote:
I must disagree with this. I consider most of Upstate New York, New England, most of Pennsylvania, and Upper Midwest areas like northern Ohio, Michigan etc to have a very brutal climate.
Even to some of us from the south, cold is no more brutal than heat.
I think the poster was partially referring to water availability. I like the dry air as much as anybody, but the downside would be the water issue. The west is constantly having to be creative in that regard.
I currently live in Wisconsin where water is more than plentiful and we can grow crops without much in the way of irrigation (like most places in the east). Cold can easily be dealt with through primitive means if necessary, whereas only the hardiest of people would live in a place like Phoenix where it not for electricity.

That being said, I can see why people love the west. For me, it's the wide-open spaces and the dry air. To a lesser extent, the scenery. The downside is the expense of any place that's halfway nice out there. Sadly, too many places in the east are catching up in the arena of over-priced housing.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:09 AM

7,899 posts, read 11,459,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraline_13 View Post
I've lived on the east coast, down south and Midwest (ohio) but I have never truly ventured out west. As I try to figure out my next move...most people suggest western states. Why do they have a so called better quality of life? I'm convinced colorado is lovely. Scenic. Lots to do outdoors. Laid back. But not sure if it's worth the snow. You couldn't pay me to move to cali nor could I pay to live there! Asides california, what is it about the west??
Ive heard people claim quality of life is best on the East nd West cost vs ly over country. Ive not heard anyone claim how great the west is. With water being huge issue, I would laugh at anyone claiming that to me

Maybe you ae listening to the wrong crowd

Old 08-27-2021, 07:33 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,190,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I actually spent a night at a motel in Rock Springs years ago in the fall, and remember it well, the only place I have ever been with hot water in the toilets.
Ha, hate to have the toilet freeze if it's a couple nights in between one guests stay and another!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Isn't "excessive sun" similar to "too much fun". I believe it was Commander Cody that said "I ain't never had too much fun".
If only sunburns didn't happen! Blue skies are what make the views, but it's fun watching clouds too! My favorite is partially cloudy, still get the views but you get interesting lighting.
Quote:
True it is cold there (and it can still get hot in the summer), but at least there is a summer lol and things are more consistent. Look at Fairplay COs climate! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairpl...lorado#Climate

That average low figure is brutal! Things don't green up till mid June! On top of this, throw in incessant blowing wind and really wacky day / night swings. That day night swing is really hard, when it can drop below freezing most of the year. The great plains are at least more consistent where when it's summer, it stays summer.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:14 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,098,484 times
Quote:

If only sunburns didn't happen! Blue skies are what make the views, but it's fun watching clouds too! My favorite is partially cloudy, still get the views but you get interesting lighting.

What is really weird about back east is partly cloudy skies at night. When I was down at Key West it was just strange to watch clouds move through the night.

Out west, it is normally clear at night or cloudy at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.