Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:18 PM

70 posts, read 117,064 times

Advertisements

Its mostly because of the weather (California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona ect.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I actually think quality of life has more to do with personal preferences than is something that is quantitative. I find QOL where I live to be just fine for me. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything where I live. I enjoy what I want out of what NJ has to offer to the fullest extent. On things less about preference, we also have great healthcare in my area - few hospitals are better than NYC ones like NYU, Columbia, and Cornell. NJ has some that are excellent, as well. But as far as activities and enjoying what your area has to offer, or simply what it has to offer, it depends on what one is looking for.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraline_13 View Post
I've lived on the east coast, down south and Midwest (ohio) but I have never truly ventured out west. As I try to figure out my next move...most people suggest western states. Why do they have a so called better quality of life? I'm convinced colorado is lovely. Scenic. Lots to do outdoors. Laid back. But not sure if it's worth the snow. You couldn't pay me to move to cali nor could I pay to live there! Asides california, what is it about the west??
Five Reasons:
1) The entire West is pretty laid back. A lot of that has to do with the other three reasons...
Regional Differences In Personalities Confirmed In New Study

2) People in general seem to be a lot more active. All of that exercise leads to people being in a better mood.
obesity-in-america-map - All That Is Interesting

3) Outside of coastal Oregon, Washington, and far northern California it is a very sunny region. All of the sunshine leads to people feeling better.
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/631fall2...insolation.png

4) Outside of the northern Rockies (Montana, most of Wyoming, and most of Idaho) and below 6-8000 feet in the rest of the region depending on the longitude and latitude the weather is mild or warm with low to no humidity away from the coast.
https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/webfm_send/635

5) I believe this goes back to the pioneer days, but the people out here have a much more open minded and adventurous personality...this increases the further West you go. Colorado is very unique in that the top traits that make it up the West, Midwest and South (experimental, imaginative, self-reliant, self-disciplined, polite, and easy-going) is how I would characterize the people here. This has to do with all of the Californians, Texans, and Midwesterners that settle/relocate here and because based on geography it is a transition zone.
http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload...0YouGov-01.png

Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Why do people insist the western states have a better quality of life?

It is just an opinion. And everyone has one. Just as many people insists that the Eastern States are better in quality of life. Whatever satisfies I guess.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I actually think quality of life has more to do with personal preferences than is something that is quantitative. I find QOL where I live to be just fine for me. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything where I live. I enjoy what I want out of what NJ has to offer to the fullest extent. On things less about preference, we also have great healthcare in my area - few hospitals are better than NYC ones like NYU, Columbia, and Cornell. NJ has some that are excellent, as well. But as far as activities and enjoying what your area has to offer, or simply what it has to offer, it depends on what one is looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why do people insist the western states have a better quality of life?

It is just an opinion. And everyone has one. Just as many people insists that the Eastern States are better in quality of life. Whatever satisfies I guess.
To sum up, both of these I think are the definitive answer. For me, after moving from the Midwest in my thirties and living in the PNW for decades, the West was ideal. Now the Great Lakes area gives me a much better QOL. I can live so much more comfortably here without the stress of the ever rising high COL there. There are aesthetic health and cultural opportunities that suit me better here as well.

But it will be different for others of course. For them, the Western part of the country will be ideal for them. Those who "insist" one place has a better QOL than the other are being too subjective in their thinking. One size does not fit all. It all depends upon the individual's needs.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
To sum up, both of these I think are the definitive answer. For me, after moving from the Midwest in my thirties and living in the PNW for decades, the West was ideal. Now the Great Lakes area gives me a much better QOL. I can live so much more comfortably here without the stress of the ever rising high COL there. There are aesthetic health and cultural opportunities that suit me better here as well.

But it will be different for others of course. For them, the Western part of the country will be ideal for them. Those who "insist" one place has a better QOL than the other are being too subjective in their thinking. One size does not fit all. It all depends upon the individual's needs.
Yup - this is something people often have a hard time understanding.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:15 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't mind your asking. In fact I was having this very discussion with a man while waiting for the bus today. He relocated from Cleveland to California some forty years ago but moved back to Cleveland for the same reasons I moved to here from Portland, OR which is mostly financial.

I lived in Portland for 36 years. It was great for the first 25 or so but for the past decade I watched it become overpriced to the point where I could no longer live there and maintain anything but a very poor quality of life. Many friends I left behind are just struggling to survive. I just got tired of living like that.

What I find in Ohio is a much better COL. For $100 a month less I live in a beautiful area in an apartment. Heat is included here so I am saving in that respect as well. It wasn't in anyplace I lived in Portland and utilities are very expensive there. My Cleveland apartment is literally twice the size of my apartment in Portland and I am guaranteed my rent will not go up as long as I live here. Groceries are less expensive as is health insurance.

Cleveland has so much has so much to offer in the way of cultural events such as theater which is second to New York's I am told, its famous art museum, the beautiful cultural gardens, the world class libraries and orchestra. I can mention all the major league the sports although I an personally only a baseball fan for which Cleveland has kindly provided me with a team to follow.

This past weekend I had the opportunity visit Chagrin Falls. Not as majestic and those I've seen in PNW but still very beautiful. The town itself is really nice and the scenery on the drive up there was absolutely beautiful. The metro parks are absolutely gorgeous right now.

I am originally from Chicago where I spent my first 32 years and moving back to this part of the country, I like the diversity of the many different cultures you find in this area.

For me, these things trump anything I had in Portland in recent years. I miss friends but I do not miss the city and I certainly do not miss the financial struggles I had trying to make ends meet trying to survive there. There is nothing for me that is special about the PNW over what I now have here.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the well thought out response. It sounds like Ohio is a great fit for you. I live in California and the cost of living is incredibly high where I am, so I can imagine it being very nice to be able to save some money and live more comfortably. Everyone values different things.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:08 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
*Disclaimer: This is my opinion. Not everyone on the West Coast is like this and not everyone who doesn't live on the West Coast isn't like this. This is just generally what I find to be the case.

With that said, I am only talking about people that live on the West Coast as opposed to the Western States (some of my statements hold true for this as well though), specifically coastal areas of Washington, Oregon and California.

1) Health- People here tend to be very health conscious.
2) Food- People here tend to be very into fresh, high quality food, farmers markets are all over the place.
3) Nature/outdoor activities- People here are very into outdoor activities and nature and they appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds them.
4) Religion- People tend to not be religious.
5) Politics- People tend to be quite liberal here, especially about social issues.
6) PC- People tend to be very politically correct. (which I personally can't stand)
7) Environment- People tend to be environmentally conscious.
8) Intelligent- People tend to be intelligent and well educated and they tend to value both.
9) Creative- People tend to be creative and value creativity highly.
10) Pace- People tend to take the time to smell the roses here and tend to be less rushed.
And these (bolded) are some of the reasons why I like the Western US so much and I plan to return as soon as possible.

To each their own...

Old 08-10-2021, 01:29 PM

444 posts, read 582,205 times
Less people means a lower incident of running into a rude person. This is also typical of the homogenous locals.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I think people just romanticize living next to mountains; they think they'll go hiking, skiing, and boating all the time, and usually they don't end up having time to do it or just lose interest. Then other factors like the high COL, large homeless populations, and wildfires make them reconsider their decision. Lots of threads on C-D from people in the West looking to relocate to the South.

Maybe there's a perception that rural poverty is much less of a thing out west, just because it's less visible due to the greater distance between populated areas? It's definitely a thing, just go to any Indian reservation, or towns like Onyx, CA or Loma, MT that are far from both major highways and national parks/national forests and so can't benefit from those things. Or even towns along Washington's coast (e.g. Aberdeen) that historically relied on timber production --- which became unprofitable through environmental regulations and because Southern forests grow faster and can be harvested more easily from their flat terrain --- and haven't yet found a niche to revitalize themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.