Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:06 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times

Advertisements

Texas has a heartbeat and it's heart beats Southern, just like mine. I'm 71 years old and as a former trucker and Harley rider, I've been from the Louisiana line to El Paso and from Brownsville to the Oklahoma line and from Houston to Amarillo and when I pass the state lines into New Mexico or Oklahoma I stop having that feeling of being in the South. When I pass into Louisiana or Arkansas I do have the feeling of being in the South but the feeling starts to fade the farther north I go. I have lived in Idaho and Colorado and California and South and North Carolina and Arkansas but my heart feels the best in Texas. Folks can try to divide up Texas into all the parts that they can come up with but the fact is Texas is the South, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
I agree with most Texan posters when they say Texas is mostly different from the rest of the South.

I don't agree with most Texan posters that somehow think Texas is better than the rest of the South.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:55 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

I don't agree with most Texan posters that somehow think Texas is better than the rest of the South.
Texas is different from the rest of the south because of it's distinct history. It is different from the rest of the south in that they have an exceptional pride in their distinct history. Generally I don't think in the "traditional" part of the south, the state pride thing is an issue like it is in Texas. I don't think the rest of the southern states play the "My state is better than your state" game like Texans do. But that's just part of being a Texan.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
It may have a little to do with Texas being more progressive and advanced than most of the south.

... maybe not FAR AND AWAY progressive and on the cutting edge, but still some steps ahead.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with most Texan posters that somehow think Texas is better than the rest of the South
I say this in a truely lighthearted manner...It doesn't matter whether you agree, or not. It is what it is.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
Duh...

Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Folks can try to divide up Texas into all the parts that they can come up with but the fact is Texas is the South, period.
Youre confusing me. Youre saying Texas is the south, but when you get to New Mexico, it doesnt feel like the south to you at all. What is the difference between west Texas and NM? Nothing. So how are those parts of Texas "southern"? Theyre not, theyre southwestern in appearance, feel, and culture. Thats precisely the reason why people can and do divide TX into regions. Parts of TX feel southern, parts of it feel Great Plains, parts southwestern.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre confusing me. Youre saying Texas is the south, but when you get to New Mexico, it doesnt feel like the south to you at all. What is the difference between west Texas and NM? Nothing. So how are those parts of Texas "southern"? Theyre not, theyre southwestern in appearance, feel, and culture. Thats precisely the reason why people can and do divide TX into regions. Parts of TX feel southern, parts of it feel Great Plains, parts southwestern.
^^^ Simple as that.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre confusing me.
That's because you're not a Texan at heart, if at all.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
=Steve-o;37170157]Youre confusing me. Youre saying Texas is the south, but when you get to New Mexico, it doesnt feel like the south to you at all. What is the difference between west Texas and NM? Nothing. So how are those parts of Texas "southern"? Theyre not, theyre southwestern in appearance, feel, and culture. Thats precisely the reason why people can and do divide TX into regions. Parts of TX feel southern, parts of it feel Great Plains, parts southwestern.
What is culturally/historically about most of west Texas and most of New Mexico?

There is a small slice of eastern New Mexico called "Little Texas" because it was the western most penetration of Southern migration (by Texans, mostly), but that was it. The "Great Plains" are also a geographic entity, not an historical/cultural region. The interior SW states did not become states until long after Texas became one. Appearance means nothing in terms of shared culture and history values and traditions. Far as that goes, South Carolina has more in common with NE colonial states in terms of topography, and Tennessee with Ohio in some ways...but they are not in the same region.

Can you name even one influence that NM or AZ ever had on Texas???

And I repeat again, there are two "southwests". One, western South, the other "southern West.". To not notice the difference is myopic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.