Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
There's many stories that come out of Texas and I would imagine that one is one I don't care about. Both of my sons like that type of 'music', but I don't and never will. Regardless, Texas rocks.
It's all good. I'm sure I wouldn't be the biggest fan of your taste in "music", but Texas is certainly big enough for all the genres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
It's all good.
Yes it is.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:45 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There isn't a Texan alive that would EVER say. 'Yeah, that state is better than Texas'.
Hi. Sixth-generation Texan here. I can think of more than a few states I like more than Texas (but Oklahoma definitely isn't one of them. ). It doesn't mean I hate my home state either. Believe it or not, some of us can be objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
For instance, Metro Matt was on a thread talking about how with Texas' GDP they could "buy" all the states that border Texas twice over.
Metro Matt is the worst possible example of a Texan I can think of in the entirety of C-D. He certainly doesn't speak for me, or most Texans I know. He's great at reinforcing negative stereotypes and embarrassing other Texans though. Please find a better candidate from this site if you must find one to represent Texas.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-07-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Huh?

Sorry, man, but vaqueros, adobe dwellings, cowboys, mustangs, Spanish colonial architecture, mesas, red rocks, and the flora and fauna do not say "southern" whatsoever, they say "western". Western movies arent filmed in SE Texas for a reason. SE TX and Western Texas are two completely different animals, and even though they reside in the same state, theyre polar opposites.

Speaking of shared cultures, El Paso or Amarillo has more in common culturally with, say, Tucumcari than it does with Baton Rouge or Savannah. But if you moved over to SE TX, its a different story. You cannot possibly lump all TX together and brand it "southern" in culture and appearance, because thats not the truth.
Yes, you are confused. You know very little about Texas. Adobe dwellings are not common anywhere in Texas. Not even in the Trans-Pecos. You're confusing Texas with New Mexico.

There's Spanish colonial architecture in Florida. Is Florida in the Southwest?

There are no "red rock" areas in West Texas. It's the Chihuahuan desert, not Sedona or Southern Utah. Totally different geological area. However, there is a lot of red soil in East Texas. Probably a few red rocks as well.

Most Westerns are filmed in Southern California. Not sure what movies have to do with regional culture anyway.

"Polar opposites"? Only the landscape and the weather. Hawaii and West Virginia could possibly qualify for "polar opposites", but not East and West Texas. If you honestly believe that the culture between Jacksonville, TX and Alpine, TX are "polar opposites", then I know for sure you have never been to both sides of Texas.

Speak to what you know, which obviously isn't Texas.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:23 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Metro Matt is the worst possible example of a Texan I can think of in the entirety of C-D.
Am I second worst?

Old 11-07-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Am I second worst?
Not even close.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Sometimes people have to for work and such. All the time life puts us in scenarios where we need to live in environments that we don't want to be in.
Well, I hope for our sake and theirs, your "fiercely anti-Southern" friends somehow manage to extricate themselves from the south in general, and Texas specifically, as quickly as possible.

May the force be with them.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=Steve-o;37183502]Huh?
Huh?. What is difficult to understand about it? You read correctly.

Quote:
Sorry, man, but vaqueros, adobe dwellings, cowboys, mustangs, Spanish colonial architecture, mesas, red rocks, and the flora and fauna do not say "southern" whatsoever, they say "western". Western movies arent filmed in SE Texas for a reason. SE TX and Western Texas are two completely different animals, and even though they reside in the same state, theyre polar opposites.
Sorry, man, but you missed quite a bit. Spanish names and a certain style of architecture have little to do with a regions actual history/culture. Nor does climate, "flora and fauna". Far as that goes, many states -- such as Mississippi and Alabama -- have origins of indigenous Indian culture.

The reason most of the old classic western moves were filmed in the Arizona deserts and southern California, was because land was cheap. And the "flora and fauna" (of which there was little, anyway) imparted a false image of Texas scenery that still endures. For instance, most of Texas is either humid-sub-tropical, or sub-humid sub-tropical. And San Antonio still advertises itself as a blend of "Old South and Old Mexico." Which is very accurate. One is going to find very few places in Texas where there is no Southern influence...even dominance. Even El Paso has a Confederate monument upon its courthouse square.

And read this one to emphasize the point:

Edited by Joseph Carleton Wilder
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA PRESS
THE SOUTHWEST CENTER
TUCSON

From The Southwest Defined

However, the Spanish did explore and settle much of southern Texas, and that fact plus close historical ties with Mexico, remains the most legitimate-and only-claim the rest of Texas can present as a credential for membership in "the Southwest." And in many other ways Texas simply doesn't qualify, despite such vestigial Hispanic enclaves as San Antonio and Nacogdoches.

Current demographic statistics do not provoke any great revision in determining that area which we can call the "Hispanic Southwest." Place names in southern Texas and California suggest a rich and enduring Hispanic heritage in those two states. But following the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, hordes of white Americans rushed into these Hispanic areas of Texas, and, even though white Americans totally dominated these parts of Texas, they continued to use many existing Spanish place names. Most of California's Spanish place names were designated by Anglo real estate developers in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in an attempt to capitalize commercially on the state's romance that visitors and newcomers to the region found so "quaint" and attractive. A meaningful cultural presence of Hispanic traditions cannot be derived merely from Spanish place names. And other qualifications- primarily physiographic, climatic, and prehistoric-preclude Texas and California from being placed within "the Southwest."

Too, so far as vaqueros go, although certainly there was some influential features, it was the "drover tradition" of the Old South that was the major influence on the Texas cowboy. The major players in the development of Texas was the Southern white/black duality. The average cowboy was a Confederate veteran or son of the same.

Quote:
Speaking of shared cultures, El Paso or Amarillo has more in common culturally with, say, Tucumcari than it does with Baton Rouge or Savannah. But if you moved over to SE TX, its a different story. You cannot possibly lump all TX together and brand it "southern" in culture and appearance, because thats not the truth.
Maybe you haven't read it quite so well. I have always said that the extreme northern panhandle has quite a bit in common with the Lower Midwest/Plains states...and that the trans-pecos region of Texas part of the interior SW. But the main point is that any state is going to contain elements of a different region. However the key to its identification is which other states (as the nation migrated west) most influenced its history/culture/traditions, etc. As well, how the residents within self-identify themselves. Also, any state, even one as unique as Texas (and I am proud of that), is going to be as a whole placed in a region of the larger nation. And Texas belongs with the South. And a clear majority of Texans (according to the most extensive surveys ever done) say they live in the South as well as consider themselves Southerners.

That fades out almost completely when getting much past the northern border of Oklahoma and the eastern most slice of New Mexico. I will be happy to furnish the studies if you would like to see them.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Huh?. What is difficult to understand about it? You read correctly.

Sorry, man, but you missed quite a bit. Spanish names and a certain style of architecture have little to do with a regions actual history/culture. Nor does climate, "flora and fauna". Far as that goes, many states -- such as Mississippi and Alabama -- have origins of indigenous Indian culture.

The reason most of the old classic western moves were filmed in the Arizona deserts and southern California, was because land was cheap. And the "flora and fauna" (of which there was little, anyway) imparted a false image of Texas scenery that still endures. For instance, most of Texas is either humid-sub-tropical, or sub-humid sub-tropical. And San Antonio still advertises itself as a blend of "Old South and Old Mexico." Which is very accurate. One is going to find very few places in Texas where there is no Southern influence...even dominance. Even El Paso has a Confederate monument upon its courthouse square.

And read this one to emphasize the point:

Edited by Joseph Carleton Wilder
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA PRESS
THE SOUTHWEST CENTER
TUCSON

From The Southwest Defined

However, the Spanish did explore and settle much of southern Texas, and that fact plus close historical ties with Mexico, remains the most legitimate-and only-claim the rest of Texas can present as a credential for membership in "the Southwest." And in many other ways Texas simply doesn't qualify, despite such vestigial Hispanic enclaves as San Antonio and Nacogdoches.

Current demographic statistics do not provoke any great revision in determining that area which we can call the "Hispanic Southwest." Place names in southern Texas and California suggest a rich and enduring Hispanic heritage in those two states. But following the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, hordes of white Americans rushed into these Hispanic areas of Texas, and, even though white Americans totally dominated these parts of Texas, they continued to use many existing Spanish place names. Most of California's Spanish place names were designated by Anglo real estate developers in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in an attempt to capitalize commercially on the state's romance that visitors and newcomers to the region found so "quaint" and attractive. A meaningful cultural presence of Hispanic traditions cannot be derived merely from Spanish place names. And other qualifications- primarily physiographic, climatic, and prehistoric-preclude Texas and California from being placed within "the Southwest."

Too, so far as vaqueros go, although certainly there was some influential features, it was the "drover tradition" of the Old South that was the major influence on the Texas cowboy. The major players in the development of Texas was the Southern white/black duality. The average cowboy was a Confederate veteran or son of the same.

Maybe you haven't read it quite so well. I have always said that the extreme northern panhandle has quite a bit in common with the Lower Midwest/Plains states...and that the trans-pecos region of Texas part of the interior SW. But the main point is that any state is going to contain elements of a different region. However the key to its identification is which other states (as the nation migrated west) most influenced its history/culture/traditions, etc. As well, how the residents within self-identify themselves. Also, any state, even one as unique as Texas (and I am proud of that), is going to be as a whole placed in a region of the larger nation. And Texas belongs with the South. And a clear majority of Texans (according to the most extensive surveys ever done) say they live in the South as well as consider themselves Southerners.

That fades out almost completely when getting much past the northern border of Oklahoma and the eastern most slice of New Mexico. I will be happy to furnish the studies if you would like to see them.
Great post. I'd like to add that Spanish placenames don't necessarily make a place more Southwestern. Montana can attest to that. In either event, it would make more sense placing New York State with Western Michigan as both have many Dutch placenames. But nobody does. Why? Because nowadays the culture of NYC and NY State is very much NOT Dutch that giving it ties to the Dutch is akin to time travel.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I did not move to Texas because I wanted to. It is not a place which welcomed me. I have a hard time with weather (not the heat), lack of green (SO worked minor miracles in our yard), influx of newcomers, food, oiled bronze and something rustic expensive for cabinets throughout the house - you name it. There is no Texas Star anywhere. Pergola floor - stone mason decided to cut two stars out of flagstone. Somehow it got to me. I found myself defending Texas like momma cat kittens when a guest brought up 102 reasons for it being backward, old fashioned and not fit for human habitation. Got here and it took me a while to get here. We are still at odds a bit but getting used to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.