Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

Good points, Bajan. No race is actually decided upon by anyone. But, no other "race" is made up of members of races that are already "claimed".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Ahh it never fails that city data threads turn into "anthropology" discussions
Why not?

Old 08-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Would you consider Diego Maradona or Juan Martin Del Potro (both "favorite sons" of Argentina) to be White?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...a_1512595c.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/tenis/Juan-Mar...14_0091_28.jpg
Maradona is of predominantly European/White ancestry (Italian, Spanish) with Amerindian admixture. Those features are seen on his face too. I would consider him as a White Hispanic, but not in the sense that I am and most of White people who live here.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel like this one should be easy to debunk. Just look at celebs like George Lopez, then look at Major League Baseball Players like Yasiel Puig or actors like Andy Garcia to maybe see that there probably isn't some mythical Hispanic race.

But then you have people who say "well those are just skin tone variations, but Hispanic is still a race". What makes people believe this nonsense? To be fair I think the concept of race is flawed to begin with but if it was to exist at least people would have a point in thinking Northern Europeans are the same "race" like West Africans are the same "race". But Hispanics?

Why does this Hispanic term even exist? They are not a monolithic group. Latin American countries are not homogeneous AT ALL (just look at Venezuela or Puerto Rico). The fact that they speak the same language is irrelevant, as no one believes in an "Anglian" race made up of people from Anglophone countries.

I think this term should be dropped.
Hispanic is not a race, more like an ethnic group based on linguistical evidence not race, they could range from White like Europeans to as Black as Africans or anywhere in between.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Maradona is of predominantly European/White ancestry (Italian, Spanish) with Amerindian admixture. Those features are seen on his face too. I would consider him as a White Hispanic, but not in the sense that I am and most of White people who live here.
How do you determine whether someone has Amerindian mixture? I can't ever.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:55 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
I don't know why they put anything on there as 'race' when genetics teaches us there are only 3 true races: Mongol, Afro-Asian, and Iberian(incl. Aryan). Everything else is derivative; everyone can trace their lineage through hundreds of generations to one or even all of these founding bloodlines.

Last edited by kehkou; 08-15-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 11:57 PM

346 posts, read 647,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I don't know why they put anything on there as 'race' when genetics teaches us there are only 3 true races: Mongol, Afro-Asian, and Iberian(incl. Aryan). Everything else is derivative; everyone can trace their lineage through hundreds of generations to one or even all of these founding bloodlines.
I'd say physical anthropology essentially boils down to three general racial groups (Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid), mainly based on skull forms. Genetics usually cluster people into several groups that are more or less similar, though Northeast Asians and Amerindians and Southeast Asians-Pacific Islands are somewhat distinct.

http://anthropogenesis.kinshipstudie...nguistics1.jpg

When a forensic anthropologist says a body is "Hispanic" (i.e. a dead body with no ID) or a geneticist says "Hispanics" are genetically predisposed adult onset diabetes; they should be saying "Amerindian."

Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
I'd say physical anthropology essentially boils down to three general racial groups (Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid), mainly based on skull forms. Genetics usually cluster people into several groups that are more or less similar, though Northeast Asians and Amerindians and Southeast Asians-Pacific Islands are somewhat distinct.

When a forensic anthropologist says a body is "Hispanic" (i.e. a dead body with no ID) or a geneticist says "Hispanics" are genetically predisposed adult onset diabetes; they should be saying "Amerindian."
Which is funny because most well-known Hispanics aren't Amerindian, but clearly mixed.

Funnily enough I've been told at times I look Hispanic and aside from my dark and eyes, I don't look the least bit Amerindian. I have coarse body hair, a full beard that comes up near my eyes, and my hair is wavy bordering on curly. Also have olive skin (not brown) and small cheekbones. Maybe they meant I look like a Spaniard? I am of Portuguese descent. Interestingly in New England, people I'm Cape Verdian when I tan.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:26 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post

Thats it. Thats what I was thinking of. Idk how I got Iberian from that.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:52 PM

366 posts, read 493,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
^This.^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.