Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times

Advertisements

Ahh it never fails that city data threads turn into "anthropology" discussions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
hobbesdj
just because Americans are not familiar with the SOUTHERN EUROPEAN look it doesnt mean spaniards or anyone who doesnt look pasty and pale like the anglosaxons is not european!!!!

bulgarian

french actress

greek actress

portuguese actress

italian

spain

croatian

etc.
BRITISH AND WHAT AMERICANS IGNORANTLY THINK IT'S EUROPEANS IN GENERAL!!!

just because a european person does not resemble a pasty british or an irish (the palest people on the planet) it does not mean they are not europeans.... in fact spaniards are FAR more european than the british, if anything the british is like an american wannabe island with people who act, think and live very different from anyone else in europe.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
so I clarified 3 points

1. Spaniards ARE EUROPEAN AND WHITE, they're not pasty like the british because they are SOUTHERN EUROPEANS, they resemble more people from places like portugal, italy, france, greece, croatia, bulgaria etc.

2. Mexicans invading the US or calling themselves la raza DOES NOT make it a latin american thing or a spanish speaking thing... MEXICANS SPEAK SPANISH, BUT MEXICANS DO NOT REPRESENT EVERY SINGLE NATION ON THIS PLANET THAT SPEAKS SPANISH.
I am Colombian and NO ONE in my country knows what la raza is, in fact most Colombians have probably never met anyone from mexico before, it's not like mexicans migrate to colombia, so you'll never come across mexicans!!!

3. Colombia is multiracial and while some colombians might look like mixed typical latin people, many look european, many other look african, many other look indigenous.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Regardless of whether those Spanish footballers look like typical white Americans, they don't like most hispanic immigrants in the US.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
just because a european person does not resemble a pasty british or an irish (the palest people on the planet) it does not mean they are not europeans.... in fact spaniards are FAR more european than the british, if anything the british is like an american wannabe island with people who act, think and live very different from anyone else in europe.
Plenty of Irish and Welsh(and some Scots and English) have dark hair and looks--and some with or without a tan can look almost like Southern Europeans. The Celts actually had dark hair and it was a lot of the Anglo-Saxons and Scandinavian Vikings that brought lighter hair. Like Welsh folks(the purest Britons) like Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta Jones who could pass for Mediterranean type.

I've taken a DNA test--it came back with 50% Polish Slavic and 50% British DNA(Scottish and Irish and English immigrants from what I know) and yet I could pass for an Italian or Spaniard(in fact I get remarked all the time about it). And upon researching about "British DNA" it's so jumbled up itself--between the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Normans and modern immigrants--that it's a mix to begin with. But I look dark enough in terms of hair to look Mediterranean to a lot of people--though a mestizo Mexican in the states would just see me as another white guy--unless I was in Mexico ironically, where I blended in with the more European-looking population in nice areas of Mexico City. (I sort of look like #21 on the Spanish soccer team photo).

European DNA is all mixed up--you've had immigrants and conquerors going back and forth for over 2000 years. You get to the margins you find more extremes and there are some regional distinctions, but there's a lot of similarities in looks overall.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-20-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 04:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Regardless of whether those Spanish footballers look like typical white Americans, they don't like most hispanic immigrants in the US.
You speak the truth.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
BRITISH AND WHAT AMERICANS IGNORANTLY THINK IT'S EUROPEANS IN GENERAL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Plenty of Irish and Welsh(and Scots and English) have dark hair and looks--and some with or without a tan can look almost like Southern Europeans. The Celts actually had dark hair and it was a lot of the Anglo-Saxons and Scandanivan Vikings that brought lighter hair. Like Welsh folks(the purest Britons) like Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta Jones who could pass for Mediterranean type.
LOL. I think that hobbesdj is confusing "whiteness" with "nordic whiteness". Mediterranean Europeans are still Europeans nonetheless. Blondness, redheadedness, and light eyes are all the result of mutations anyway.

And yes, you can find many people in the British Isles who've got dark features. Sean Connery and Colin Farrell could pass for Spaniards. Catherine Zeta Jones will be playing a Colombian drug "godmother" in her next film.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I agree completely. If we look at the bottom line of men for example, only #11 and #19 look white. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that #21, #20, #8, and #17 wouldn't be getting asked "where are you from" just isn't familiar with general America or is lying.

Left click the image and zoom in and tell me with a straight face that #8 is a "white guy" in colloquial American speech. That is laughable.
Here's a closeup of #8(Koke)--guy on the left.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...avid_Villa.jpg

He'd blend in fine as a "white guy" in the US in the places I've lived.

Also fun fact #21, David Silva actually has a Japanese mother... (He always just looked Spanish to me though.)

Old 10-20-2014, 05:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
It's funny that a lot of non-white Hispanics will readily consider themselves white but NOT any other race. Racial classifications aren't based upon percentages of genetic lineages anyway. After all, you need to undergo a DNA test to figure that out. Barack Obama is directly biracial. Should he consider himself a white man just because he's got a white parent? Should we discount the fact he doesn't look like anything but a black man?
You realize that sometimes this identity is thrown upon us? I always put OTHER on the U.S. census when it comes to race, despite the fact that to some I pass off as white, I have never and will never consider myself that as I am a Mexican of diverse genetic origins (Japanese, French, Native American, Spanish, Eastern European). I remember being in classes during junior high for standardized testing, and lots of Latino kids (predominantly Mexican and Central American) would raise their hand asking the teacher (white) what they should put down for race. There is no mestizo option, and in the U.S. 'mixed' is usually reserved for people who have parents of diverse backgrounds, not people of diverse heritage whose parents and grandparents and great grandparents (etc) are all mixed (or mostly are) like the majority of Mexicans. The teacher would many times tell the students to just mark off white. Their logic? The students aren't black and they aren't Asian, and they can't put Native American since it requires tribal affiliation, and most Mexicans have no idea what tribes their ancestors came from (no, not Aztec/Mexica despite the mythology.) So when these young minds are being told by their white teachers/professors/administrators that they should mark 'White', how confused do you think they become? Very.

I even had an incident at a clinic where I had marked 'other', and the nurse (in front of me) erased my answer and switched it to 'white'. That was a major WTF moment, of which I didn't bother saying anything about as I was dealing with more critical issues.

What's interesting about 'whiteness' and Mexican Americans is that both the Chicano and La Raza movements grew out as an anti-thesis to white Anglo America. Chicano's associated themselves and collaborated largely with Native Americans, and in many neighborhoods in LA with a strong Chicano presence, identity, you see strong links and symbolic gestures (like murals) to the Native American community. This despite the fact that genetically Californians of Mexican background are more European (Spanish) than Native, and with higher percentages on average than Mexicans from Mexico, similar to those of Northern Mexico. But, that's irrelevant, isn't it? If Mexican Californians have more kinship and attraction to their Native side, despite how big or small it might be within them, who are we to stop them? The Native communities have mostly received Mexicans/Central Americans with open arms, as opposed to mainstream white society.

If Native American identity weren't so closely linked to official tribes in the U.S., and more open on the census (like the other groupings), then I would argue that more Mexicans and Central Americans would easily choose Native/Indigenous over 'white'. Not all Mexicans think this way though, and it is a regional mindset to Californians that you won't see in a state like Texas (as much). I went through an identity crisis myself when I was younger. I spent lots of time reading literature on Native American life, culture etc, and especially on civilizations like the Mexica/Aztecs, Maya, Olmecs etc. It took me time, but thankfully I've learned to embrace my diverse heritage (including the European one, which I used to have a negative view of). For some reason, Mexicans in the U.S. (including myself at some point) have a disconnect with their very diverse heritage (Southern European, Native American, East Asian, African, West Asian, Sephardic Jewish etc), and therefore get stuck on this one sided "I have to choose" (between white or Native) mentality, instead of embracing the complete self.

Last edited by RudyOD; 10-20-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 05:19 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Here's a closeup of #8(Koke)--guy on the left.

File:Spain - Chile - 10-09-2013 - Geneva - Koke and David Villa.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

He'd blend in fine as a "white guy" in the US in the places I've lived.

Also fun fact #21, David Silva actually has a Japanese mother... (He always just looked Spanish to me though.)
No, #8 is Xavi.....not Koke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
LOL. I think that hobbesdj is confusing "whiteness" with "nordic whiteness". Mediterranean Europeans are still Europeans nonetheless. Blondness, redheadedness, and light eyes are all the result of mutations anyway.
Who said Mediterranean Europeans aren't Europeans? Haven't seen anyone indicating that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.