Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

I don't answer the outside intercom buzzer unless I am expecting someone (such as a delivery person or a friend) as usually it is just someone trying to get into my apt. building. If someone is rings my apt. doorbell at a decent hour, I will look through the peephole and if it is someone I don't know I will ask them through the door (without opening it) what they want and answer accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Just as I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number/caller ID, I won't answer the door unless I'm either expecting someone or recognize them through the peephole. We have a "no soliciting" sign and the city has a law making it a misdemeanor to ignore that, but it doesn't apply to politicians or
charities (though anyone going door-to-door must have a permit and that requires a background check and fee).

Old 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
I'm one of those rural folks that always answers the door. But we seldom get sales people or missions type of people. If I moved to the city I may stop answering the door as well. Don't give people anything, they will be back if you do, and they will always ask for more and bigger favors.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:39 PM

144 posts, read 184,686 times
If you watchthenews, you may gain a better understanding as to why it's common to avoid strangers at the door! I only answer if I'm expecting someone. :/

Old 10-19-2014, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't answer the outside intercom buzzer unless I am expecting someone (such as a delivery person or a friend) as usually it is just someone trying to get into my apt. building. If someone is rings my apt. doorbell at a decent hour, I will look through the peephole and if it is someone I don't know I will ask them through the door (without opening it) what they want and answer accordingly.
We have a system in our building where the buzzer system isn't a buzzer but is attached to our phones. So if someone presses the number on the intercom button next to our name, the phone rings in our apartment. We can even have it hooked up to our cell phones. That way we can be anywhere and know someone has visited us.

Since the person in the lobby has to announce themselves over the phone, I always know who is wanting to be buzzed in. I just press a button on my phone and the inner hallway door is activated to open if I choose to let them in. If I am not at home to answer the phone or if I don't pick up if I am home, the visitor can leave a voice mail message just like a regular phone call.

Pretty neat I think. No more bothersome sales people or anyone trying to save my soul literally knocking at my door.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
We have a system in our building where the buzzer system isn't a buzzer but is attached to our phones. So if someone presses the number on the intercom button next to our name, the phone rings in our apartment. We can even have it hooked up to our cell phones. That way we can be anywhere and know someone has visited us.

Since the person in the lobby has to announce themselves over the phone, I always know who is wanting to be buzzed in. I just press a button on my phone and the inner hallway door is activated to open if I choose to let them in. If I am not at home to answer the phone or if I don't pick up if I am home, the visitor can leave a voice mail message just like a regular phone call.

Pretty neat I think. No more bothersome sales people or anyone trying to save my soul literally knocking at my door.
I had such a system during the short time I lived in California (before cellphones were common) and my mother who currently lives in California has such a system. But I don't think in my mother's old building it could be hooked up to her cellphone instead of her home phone and there is no voicemail system for the visitor to leave a message if my mother isn't home.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
If someone is well dressed, I don't answer because they are either soliciting for a donation or want me to join their mythology club. If they look shabby or sketchy I answer with an axe in hand to warn them that I won't tolerate them scrounging around my property for scrap metal nor do I need yardwork done, and no, they cannot sit on my porch to drink the hairspray they just bought.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,833 times
I did talk to my leasing office manager today about the sales persons and this lady and she suggested me the same thing as you all. She told me if it would be her, she wouldn't open the door unless she is expecting someone. Sometimes knowing your neighbors just by face doesn't work.

I have too much of stuff going around daily i.e. working out, 9-10 hours job, cooking and studying. I had a habit of playing music for 30-45 mins while I cook in evening around 6:00pm. A couple may be in late-30's staying downstairs in the building was getting disturbed by the music sound which I wasn't aware of. So instead of coming and telling me in the evening, the guy knocked my door around 10:15pm one day. I am a single woman and 10:15pm sounded too late to me, so I did not open the door. Next day they went to the leasing office and filed a complaint against me.

Today I finally decided whatever time of the day it may be, if I am not expecting the person at the door, then am not going to open it.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
If not expecting company, most likely it's a salesperson and I don't answer.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times
My "NO SOLICITING" sign on my front door has helped tremendously. Solicitors do drop flyers or business cards off but rarely ring the door bell.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.