Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:19 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Must be great to live in a utopia.
Yep, it's pretty great

Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Are you a troll? Do you have a map? All of those guns are ment for hunting only. Using a gun against a human is always crime and you will lose your license for rest of your life.
Nope, not a troll, just better educated about your country than you are.

Guns in Finland -- Wikipedia

Your government's numbers say you are a liar.

Quote:
There are some 650,000 firearms permit holders in Finland. 60% of firearm permits are issued for hunting weapons. There are an estimated 290,000 handguns, which comes to 5.5 per 100 civilians
Oh look, only just over half are hunting weapons. That is a far cry from "all of them are ment? for hunting".

But wait, there is more! Your government thinks you guys have less guns than you guys actually do.

Quote:
The widely cited Small Arms Survey 2007 by Graduate Institute of International Studies in Geneva Switzerland claims there are some 3 million firearms in Finland, or 56 per 100 civilians.
Your government only licenses 390,000 hunting weapons, out of three million weapons. That is 13 percent. So a small minority of the weapons in Finland are for hunting. And a lot of them are unlicensed and illegal.

It is cool how you call me names, then make a statement that is 100% totally false. Maybe you should educate yourself in the slightest before making wild claims with NO basis in reality.

Just another lie of yours torn to shreds with provable data.

Quote:
I would prefer our way No car jackings and murder-robberies here!
Liar. I already proved you wrong on this claim. Your assertion that all murders in Finland are drunk people fighting is simply ridiculous. So is your claim that nobody has their car stolen with them in it... ever.

Quote:
Yep, it's pretty great
To quote someone from this thread, are you a troll?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

Oh look, only just over half are hunting weapons. That is a far cry from "all of them are ment? for hunting".

But wait, there is more! Your government thinks you guys have less guns than you guys actually do.

Your government only licenses 390,000 hunting weapons, out of three million weapons. That is 13 percent. So a small minority of the weapons in Finland are for hunting. And a lot of them are unlicensed and illegal.

It is cool how you call me names, then make a statement that is 100% totally false. Maybe you should educate yourself in the slightest before making wild claims with NO basis in reality.

Liar. I already proved you wrong on this claim. Your assertion that all murders in Finland are drunk people fighting is simply ridiculous. So is your claim that nobody has their car stolen with them in it... ever.

Are they really from Finland?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Again we are talking guns and not the causes of whats going to end the lives of 7000 Americans today.
Look at your running away from the argument when it doesn't suit your biased agenda. You are saying that because a lot of people get shot yearly in America, there should be no guns.

More people die of eating fatty foods, more die from cigarettes. You don't call for a ban on those, and you run away when they are mentioned.

Quote:
I dont Live in America and am only going by the perception i see in media and other resources,
Yeah, it is obvious. Anyone who thinks America has an extremely violent culture has never experienced the culture here.

Quote:
As for your claim about guns maintaining a free state? With all the armament available to anyone do you really believe you live in a free state,especially with the attitude that the population needs guns
Just a side note, your run-on sentences with poor grammar are hard to reply to.

There is no such thing as a truly free state at this point, but America will never slip into tyranny like Germany did in the thirties and forties.

The point is that it is borderline impossible for the U.S. government to become the enemy of the people and win. They would flat out have to kill the entire population, which would not be feasible to their ends.

Quote:
,you dont need guns you want guns theres a difference,

Incorrect. Period.

Quote:
i'm not anti guns i think under responsible ownership they can be a useful tool for hunting or a fun toy at the shooting range but way too many are irresponsible and will use their guns for emotional reasons, So as a nation you dont have the general maturity for every one to own guns,
Last post you were talking about there being no guns and how much better it would be. Don't lie to us, you are anti-gun and it is obvious.

Hunting rifles and target rigs can kill someone just as dead as a handgun during a heated argument, so that distinction is silly as hell.

Not everyone is allowed to own guns, where did you read that?

Quote:
I have no idea how you solve what i consider to be a problem of 100K people being shot every year but i dont think the answer is more guns and easier access to them..
Since the problem doesn't lie with the number of guns, but gangs and suicides, the logical sane way to solve it is to focus on suicides and gangs.... duh?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Are they really from Finland?
Probably not. Probably from one of the low gun ownership countries with high crime.

If the assertion is that more guns equal more crime, why does this graph completely destroy their argument?

For those too dense to read a graph, look at the diagonal line. It shows that most countries with more guns are lower in homicides than most of the countries with less guns.

The homicide rate count for the graph is from UNDOC homicide statistics, a far superior measure than the ones quoted by Wikipedia. If you choose to use the numbers quoted by Wikipedia, Finland's murder rate goes down, but the gun ownership rate stays the same.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 11-23-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,539 times
Quote:

Guns are NEVER EVER used to shoot people. It is illegal to carry them and use them against a person. Even if you point a person with your gun you will lose your license. Which part you can not understand?

Even my granfather had an old Luger which was not licensed properly. He took it from a russian he killed

Yet this topic is not about the amount of firearms in Finland, is it? America is the only country where you are allowed to actually use your whatever weapons. These "stand you ground" laws etc don't exist here.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Probably not. Probably from one of the low gun ownership countries with high crime.

If the assertion is that more guns equal more crime, why does this graph completely destroy their argument?

For those too dense to read a graph, look at the diagonal line. It shows that most countries with more guns are lower in homicides than most of the countries with less guns.

The homicide rate count for the graph is from UNDOC homicide statistics, a far superior measure than the ones quoted by Wikipedia. If you choose to use the numbers quoted by Wikipedia, Finland's murder rate goes down, but the gun ownership rate stays the same.
Interesting.

As for the bold, well no actually it doesn't as it is skewed by three outliers which should be looked at individually.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Once people give up the idea their government is out to get them thus perpetrating the delusional notion that every one needs to be armed and part of militia groups meaningful laws can be enacted to combat irresponsible fire arms use and a curtailment of the current carnage.
These Laws Are The Reason Canada, Australia, Japan And The UK Have Such Low Gun Homicide Rates - Business Insider

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Good grief. Time to close this thread.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.