Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,717,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The all inclusive "they" say that The City of Atlanta now only has a 49.something% Black plurality (something that no one will know for sure until the 2020 census) This doesn't really matter, though, in Metro Atlanta, even in some of the "White" northern suburbs, you will see a diverse mosaic of complexions. Really there are very few places you can go without seeing Black people in Georgia including rural South Georgia and in Georgia's second tier cities (Athens, Macon, Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Albany, etc) We are a state that is over one-third Black. Maybe the color blind society begins here!
The mountainous parts of north Georgia would be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,420,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In America, black poverty rates are almost 3 times the rate of whites, black unemployment rates are about twice that of whites and black wealth is 15 times less than whites. Hence, a principle city that is majority black is generally a microcosm of these national statistics. Blacks have not recovered yet from centuries of racial oppression.

In light of that, the difference would be political and economic. If blacks are the majority, given the statistics above, the city will have less revenue for services because the residents have less income, employment and wealth to be taxed. On the other hand the city will have more black political control or influence. Your police force, city council and mayor will most likely be black or majority black. Unfortunately this can create the false image of poor black leadership as the leadership gets blamed for the poor economic condition and services, when in reality is the legacy of oppression being reflected in a majority black city that is the root cause.

Thus, I would rather live in a larger city with a large black population (large being a quarter of a million or more) where blacks are slightly less than the majority of the population. In other words, I would rather live in a predominately black neighborhood (middle class) in a city that is slightly less than majority black.
Good answer.

In my experience, when all of my peers were flocking to cities like Atlanta but ended up in the suburbs of that city the tide of wealth seems to have slowed considerably and you now have to compete in that city same as you would anywhere else. What do you have to offer? What do you do if you cannot find a job in Atlanta? Do you have your masters degree?

We were told that Atlanta was the exception to this rule. Yet Atlanta, and areas like Princess George's County in Maryland, Black, and rich, still have some infrastructural issues you won't find in predominately White areas with less wealth.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of the predominately Black cities that once were are no longer that case.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
For me, the biggest drawback to being in a heavily black metropolitan area is that many (most?) of them lack a contemporary mainstream/active rock or alternative rock station. I need some loud guitars to listen to.

On the other hand, I do enjoy the old-school hip-hop/R&B stations.
If you really want radio just use iHeartRadio or Tune In. You can literally listen to any radio station anywhere.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,677,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Good answer.

In my experience, when all of my peers were flocking to cities like Atlanta but ended up in the suburbs of that city the tide of wealth seems to have slowed considerably and you now have to compete in that city same as you would anywhere else. What do you have to offer? What do you do if you cannot find a job in Atlanta? Do you have your masters degree?

We were told that Atlanta was the exception to this rule. Yet Atlanta, and areas like Princess George's County in Maryland, Black, and rich, still have some infrastructural issues you won't find in predominately White areas with less wealth.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of the predominately Black cities that once were are no longer that case.
Well....separate will always be inherently unequal as long as the legacy of racial oppression has not been reconciled. Hence, black areas, as a general rule, if supported by primarily black tax dollars, will have inferior infrastructure, services and the like. This is why I am in favor of annexation......like Indianapolis, Houston, Columbus, Oh and other cities do. Blacks simply have less resources and therefore when groups with better higher incomes and wealth divest from a city.......services and infrastructure deteriorate, as the general rule.

The trend now, however, is concentrated black poverty in the suburbs and the return of the gentry demographic to the cities. This is why the demographics of the city of Atlanta is changing and areas like Clayton County, Georgia, a southern suburban county of Atlanta, is becoming one of the poorest areas and has issues with crime. America will trend to being like Europe with high density cities with public transportation filled by the middle class while many of the poor live in the suburbs.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 PM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
Quote:
In America, black poverty rates are almost 3 times the rate of whites, black unemployment rates are about twice that of whites and black wealth is 15 times less than whites. Hence, a principle city that is majority black is generally a microcosm of these national statistics. Blacks have not recovered yet from centuries of racial oppression.

In light of that, the difference would be political and economic. If blacks are the majority, given the statistics above, the city will have less revenue for services because the residents have less income, employment and wealth to be taxed. On the other hand the city will have more black political control or influence. Your police force, city council and mayor will most likely be black or majority black. Unfortunately this can create the false image of poor black leadership as the leadership gets blamed for the poor economic condition and services, when in reality is the legacy of oppression being reflected in a majority black city that is the root cause.

Thus, I would rather live in a larger city with a large black population (large being a quarter of a million or more) where blacks are slightly less than the majority of the population. In other words, I would rather live in a predominately black neighborhood (middle class) in a city that is slightly less than majority black.
Besides D.C., Atlanta and maybe Philadelphia, what other cities fit this criteria?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 PM

262 posts, read 201,304 times
Jesus y’all wanna get away from black people so bad why not move to China or Russia?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 AM

10,309 posts, read 13,843,925 times
Quote:
Would you rather live in a city with a large Black population, like NY or LA, or a smaller city where a large percentage of the population is Black? How does the later influence your experiences in a city that would otherwise go largely unrecognized?
I don't care what color the residents are in a city. As long as most of them aren't jerks I couldn't care less.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Well....separate will always be inherently unequal as long as the legacy of racial oppression has not been reconciled. Hence, black areas, as a general rule, if supported by primarily black tax dollars, will have inferior infrastructure, services and the like. This is why I am in favor of annexation......like Indianapolis, Houston, Columbus, Oh and other cities do. Blacks simply have less resources and therefore when groups with better higher incomes and wealth divest from a city.......services and infrastructure deteriorate, as the general rule.

The trend now, however, is concentrated black poverty in the suburbs and the return of the gentry demographic to the cities. This is why the demographics of the city of Atlanta is changing and areas like Clayton County, Georgia, a southern suburban county of Atlanta, is becoming one of the poorest areas and has issues with crime. America will trend to being like Europe with high density cities with public transportation filled by the middle class while many of the poor live in the suburbs.
No one ever listens to me on poverty in the suburbs.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:25 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,662,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
what other cities fit this criteria?
*MAYBE* Chicago and Philadelphia.

I think DC and Atlanta (proper) are a bit too small to meet the poster's criteria.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:38 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,171,085 times
Quote:
No one ever listens to me on poverty in the suburbs.
Ironic, considering everyone has heard of Compton, CA, which is not a neighborhood in South LA(aka South central) but is technically a suburb. Poverty is a real thing in the suburbs of Chicago, specifically in the south suburbs and a few near west suburbs within Cook County as well. For example Ford Heights, IL for decades has been considered to be the poorest suburb in all of America. Other suburbs such as Harvey(my hometown and where rapper Lupe Fiasco spent a great deal of his childhood), Robbins, and Maywood are not too far behind either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.