Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The northeastern US is characterized and defined by the following:

Large, compact, walkable cities with extensive public transportation, a high population density, a highly educated populace, high incomes especially from white-collar jobs, high cost of living, liberal politics, a strong historical connection to the founding of the United States, a distinct 4-season climate and east coast location, of course.

That pretty much sums it up.
A good chunk of this applies to the west coast as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM

89 posts, read 128,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Demographically, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are pretty distinct from Midwestern cities, and still resemble cities on the Coast a bit more. These numbers are for the Italian/Irish/Polish/Jewish population for the 10 largest metros in the Northeast plus a few additional non-NE metros. All of the highest metros are in the Northeast.

Buffalo - 38.61% of MSA (48.57% of NHW population)
Boston - 36.45% of MSA (49.38% of NHW population)
New Haven - 36.07% of MSA (55.09% of NHW population)
Philadelphia - 33.03% of MSA (51.26% of NHW population)
Hartford - 32.86% of MSA (47.21% of NHW population)
New York - 32.26% of MSA (66.94% of NHW population)
Pittsburgh - 31.80% of MSA (36.55% of NHW population)
Worcester - 30.13% of MSA (37.27% of NHW population)
Rochester - 30.12% of MSA (38.57% of NHW population)
Providence - 27.72% of MSA (34.83% of NHW population)
Cleveland - 26.69% of MSA (37.01% of NHW population)
Chicago - 22.81% of MSA (41.78% of NHW population)
Detroit - 21.19% of MSA (31.16% of NHW population)
Baltimore - 19.98% of MSA (33.78% of NHW population)
Washington - 14.25% of MSA (30.42% of NHW population)
Hampton Roads - 13.25% of MSA (23.16% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Richmond - 12.07% of MSA (20.07% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Buffalo and Pittsburgh linguistically and culturally are more Midwestern than Northeastern. Demographics only tell a third of the story.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:37 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Buffalo and Pittsburgh linguistically and culturally are more Midwestern than Northeastern. Demographics only tell a third of the story.
I don't live in Buffalo, but I've been in Pittsburgh for ten years, and I'm originally from the East Coast. I can't see any reason why someone would call it Midwestern, honestly. Appalachian, yes, but not Midwestern.

If you or anyone else has some reasons, I'm all ears.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:41 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't live in Buffalo, but I've been in Pittsburgh for ten years, and I'm originally from the East Coast. I can't see any reason why someone would call it Midwestern, honestly. Appalachian, yes, but not Midwestern.

I guess because they say pop instead of soda.

There's no such thing as a Northeastern dialect. Nor is there such a thing as Northeastern culture for that matter.

The only other reason to call Pittsburgh or Buffalo the Midwest is because they go against the definition of "Northeast" some people on here are trying to create. And that makes no sense because those cities are every bit as Northeastern as Boston or New York. In what bizzaro reality could Baltimore, a city that has parks and monuments dedicated to the Confederacy, be "Northeastern" but not Buffalo or Pittsburgh?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A good chunk of this applies to the west coast as well.
Only the San Francisco bay area, which is relatively a lot smaller.

And even so, it is pretty different due to climate, location, geography, history and architectural styles.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
I'd say there are several Northeasts. There's DC, Baltimore, and Philly, then New Jersey and New York and Connecticut, then New England. Then you have Western New York and Western Pennsylvania which really are more a part of the Midwest than the Northeast.
So, wait...why are these other cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh part of the Midwest??????

Old 10-22-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Buffalo yes. Pittsburgh is a big fat no on Midwestern. Pittsburgh is linguistically closer to Appalachia than the Midwest.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess because they say pop instead of soda.
But in Pittsburgh they say it "pawp" unlike the Midwest which says it "pahp". We also call them the Steelers and not the Stillers and we say creek instead of crick, wash instead of warsh, and say down instead of dahn.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Yeah Pittsburgh is not Midwestern by any stretch of the imagination. In fact my dad, born in Gary, Indiana to a Pittsburgh native (my paternal grandfather) would make it a point to NOT sound like his funny talking parents because people always pointed out how weird they sounded. The Chicago accent is a universe away from the Pittsburgh accent.

Where do you live in Pittsburgh? I spend time in Squirrel Hill visiting my funny talking grandmother from time to time. I go to her hahs and eat chipped ham and drink a bir while watching da Stillers game. Her husband (my late grandfather) used to be an "arn worker" in Pittsburgh before he and her moved to Gary, Indiana to do the same job at US Still (Steel). In fact, there is a Steelers Bar in Northwest Indiana that was opened by Pittsburgh natives who relocated there as well.

Anyway, I love Pittsburgh. I'd live there but it's too hilly for me. I am a flat-lander. Hilly is even an understatement. That place has mountains with roads on them. I wonder how they even do road maintenance without their equipment rolling dahn.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:16 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Even the Northeastern wealth thing is blown out of proportion on here. Excluding Maryland, 26 of the richest 100 counties in the U.S. are in the South. 23 are in the Census-designated Northeast.

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the Northeastern = Wealth thing was more true after the Civil War and during the early part of the 19th Century and early part of the 20th Century when the old money and industrial wealth was disproportionately concentrated here (Carnegie, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, aristocratic Philadelphia and Boston families, etc.). A lot has changed in 100 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.