Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 PM

872 posts, read 999,249 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I am considering these 5 places to eventually live in!! I am at home w/ mom and dad to save $$ and get on my feet again after a big set back in my personal and financial life I am in CT and hate it. Yeah it's "home" but it just doesn't feel like it. I had been living in Phoenix, AZ for the past 7 years and loved it but am open to other places if it furthers me and what I MAY do for career, etc

I am 25 years old and put a top 5 list with def suggestions to other places not listed

I want to get into graphic design, healthcare or maybe journalism or real estate LOL I know I know :P

Also, I want a warm/hot climate with mild winters with sun and job growth and a growing future--nothing stagnant

I guess I really just want an opinion of what you guys experience if you live in these cities and what sections to maybe look in or even suburbs to live in

No particular order of cities

1) Phoenix-obviously I know it the most, have ties there, etc
2) Austin, TX --never been, would def visit b4 moving though, read a lot of positive things about this city, well TX in general tbh
3) Las Vegas-kind of a reach considering it's not doing GREAT but on par w/ Phoenix living and it's 2nd in terms of my knowledge of it and connections
4) San Diego--been once, liked it, always desirable, def need to plan very carefully for cost of living, etc
5) Dallas--read/hear good things and it's growing and affordable

Other cities kind of considered:

Denver
Nashville
Ft Lauderdale/Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM

506 posts, read 326,595 times
Why did you move from Phoenix?

Old 10-04-2014, 12:46 PM

76 posts, read 151,885 times
All those cities have great things to offer...depends on what you are looking for in a city

Old 10-04-2014, 12:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,896 times
What job skills do you have?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:46 PM

872 posts, read 999,249 times
Moved from Phoenix cuz lease was coming up and I was jobless. Parents really wanted me to be back home and so I drove cross country with my dad back to CT with hopes of returning or going somewhere else

Job skills-writing, communicating, attention to detail, Microsoft Office programs-Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook

Intermediate level of speaking and writing in Spanish and Arabic

Old 10-04-2014, 06:35 PM

506 posts, read 326,595 times
You should look for jobs starting on cities which you would expect to like the most.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
1) Phoenix- Not bad. Lots to see and do.
2) Austin, TX --Awesome College town, great area.
3) Las Vegas- LEGAL PROSTITUTION
4) San Diego--Unbeatable beaches.
5) Dallas--Excellent place to live. Love it.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Prostitution hasn't been legal in Clark County (the entire Las Vegas metro and then some) since the 90's.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 AM

338 posts, read 556,452 times
You can find some good graphic design jobs in San Diego, Miami, and probably Dallas as well. I always hear good things about the Texas cities. Denver would have an artsy, graphic design industry going too I would imagine. Although you'd have to get acclimated to the pot culture. Not that it's overbearing there but it is a big thing.

Healthcare I always feel is a good industry if you live in the northeast or northwest but that is because I am from the northeast and was always pushed to go into the healthcare field like many of my friends.

Do you have a degree or work experience in any of the fields you mentioned you were interested in? Also, if you are into Phoenix, would you consider moving back? Nothing wrong with that. It really just comes down to where you can find a job nowadays. It's good to see that you are young and motivated to move out of your parents' house and not blaming Obama or the economy for your setbacks. I applaud you on that.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Prostitution hasn't been legal in Clark County (the entire Las Vegas metro and then some) since the 90's.
But its more widespread than anywhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.