Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times

Advertisements

Here in WA it was mostly back in the 1980s that local hated us. It was because of the fact that so many came here with a lot of home equity, and overpaid or overbuilt big houses to avoid capital gains and caused the prices to go up for everyone else. In our case (1993) we sold a 1,400 sf house in CA (Bay Area) for 190k and bought one here for the same amount that's 3,000 sf and 40 years newer. Now that this area is 60% from other states/countries there are not enough natives to notice any more grumbling about Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,802,244 times
I think it depends on who it talking. I have relatives there and I did undergrad in LA. The weather ( except for the smog) is great. But , for me, taxes, regulations , over priced real estate, crowded freeways, and most of the politicians have no appeal to me now. I also think that a lot of Californians move to other places and they want to "bring " what they had in California with them rather than assimilate.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,435,379 times
There's many more people in California than anywhere else in the West--the combined population of the rest of the West might not even equal California. So naturally there's going to be more Californians moving to other states than people from one other particular state in the West. Just like with say, New Yorkers in the South--people start looking at higher numbers of Californians anywhere as a threat--even when there's people moving from all over. In part it's because people need someone to scapegoat--and a lot of people are bitter once things start to change.

I was born in California and have lived over half my life in Oregon and I realize that to some of the "proud Oregonians" it'll never be one of them even though at this point I think I've actually spent almost more time in Oregon and don't even have much connection to California as time goes on. I could care less--most people who are overally concerned about what side of a border someone was born on are basically boring hicks. People who travel and have some perspective are usually cool no matter where they're born.

People everywhere get tired of people from somewhere moving there--it's the same anywhere in the world. I just find it's amusing that people in places like Oregon or Washington or wherever think they're somehow special--as if they're the only place that's ever seen an influx of people from someone else. So I basically humor them all the while not giving a damn about their precious "4th generation heritage." Because they can't imagine that people move all over the place and the same thing happens everywhere--there's a sort of exceptionalism with people who get angry about transplants(and I saw this growing up in Santa Cruz, California as well, where some locals were extremely bitter).

Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,300,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Depends on what kind of Californians.

If it's the stereotypical, stuck-up, airhead, OVERLY liberal ones, then yes.

Other than that, no, they're just like anyone else.
I'm sure you feel this way about liberals from any state.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,300,221 times
I don't really have much of an opinion. I'm from Florida and there have never been a large influx of Californians to Florida. I never notice many people at all from the Pacific and Mountain West states actually.

I have heard that Californians sky rocket the cost of living where ever they go. I'm not sure how they do this. The Californians I have met don't have some magical inflation power that I am aware of.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 AM

603 posts, read 923,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I don't really have much of an opinion. I'm from Florida and there have never been a large influx of Californians to Florida. I never notice many people at all from the Pacific and Mountain West states actually.

I have heard that Californians sky rocket the cost of living where ever they go. I'm not sure how they do this. The Californians I have met don't have some magical inflation power that I am aware of.
People blame them for increases in housing prices. The evil Californian sells their house in California and moves to, for example, Texas. Houses cost half or a third of what they are used to so bid strong on the house they want, even to the point of overpaying. When groups of them descend on your city, housing prices skyrocket. At least, so the stereotype goes.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
While looking into other states to move to, I keep noticing all the grumbling about Californians. I notice it from people from Texas, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, etc.

Why does it seem like Californians are universally hated? Do they really behave differently, or are people worried about their cities becoming flooded and overpopulated by Californians?

Just wondering. Thanks!
Pay attention to the political orientation of those who are doing the hating, its coming almost entirely from one political demographic .

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,616,435 times
I really don't think it's about politics at all... I think being a Californian is a state of mind to most who live there... "CALI LIFE" ... God, give me a break.

No state has more egotism than California... Noses high up in the air.

Image and status takes priority over common sense in a lot of cases.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 AM

179 posts, read 266,937 times
I have a neighbor from Oregon who does that constantly.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM

545 posts, read 1,092,794 times
i hate california because im from the north east, and i dont like how cali has grown faster than us in recent years. lol. i want the crown to remain here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.