Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM

19 posts, read 33,826 times

Advertisements

Why does the USA only celebrate Christian holidays and not any Jewish or any other religion's holidays?! None of them are secular at all!! What happened to separation of church and state?

St. Valentines Day > The day is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine, and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD.

Good Friday (STATE HOLIDAY IN 11 states!) - is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary.

Halloween - ( All Hallows' Eve) - Day before All Saint's Day !

Christmas Day (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - It is a Christian feast that commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ.

New Year's Day (Jan 1) (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - founded by Pope Gregory. It's year 2011 because he picked the date approx. Christ' birth year. Nothing is secular at all!
It's also Christ' circumcision according to Jewish law after Christmas Day - 7-8 days after his birthday.

Malls and everything also shut downs on Christmas Day, most also on Easter but never on any other religious day except Christians
This is unfair and anti-semitic.

If I drive south to NJ border of Bergen County, they have blue laws where almost everything is closed on Sundays by law... why not on Saturday?!
Why are banks closed on Sundays but open half day on Jewish sabbath?

Everything only Christian and Christian.... many cities and counties have "Saint" names, many streets and others too

I know there are secular holidays too, but most of them are Christians. Martin Luther King was Christian too, Christopher Columbus, President's Day (Nearly all presidents were Christians) etc.

Last edited by Emilio-; 12-02-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
^all good points made

also, a bunch of holidays seem to be biased towards United States events and citizens and completely ignoring other countries and their contributions to world-wide stuff, such as...
  • July 4th
  • Fishing Opener
  • Talk Like A Pirate Day
  • Mothers Day
  • Groundhog Day

Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio- View Post
Why does the USA only celebrate Christian holidays and not any Jewish or any other religion's holidays?!
#1 - So Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Martin Luther King Jr Day are all Christian? Although banks aren't closed on these days, what about Mother's and Father's Day?

#2 - American holidays are varied, some secular, some not, some unique to America.

#3 - This site states that more than 78% of Americans are Christian so majority rules. Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

also, a bunch of holidays seem to be biased towards United States events and citizens and completely ignoring other countries and their contributions to world-wide stuff, such as...
  • July 4th
  • Fishing Opener
  • Talk Like A Pirate Day
  • Mothers Day
  • Groundhog Day
^^ This is because these are AMERICAN holidays! July 4th celebrates our independence. Groundhog Day is a holiday celebrated by the US and Canada. If you don't agree, don't celebrate it or move elsewhere where the minority gets holidays named for them. BTW, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the U.S. regionally and barely in Mexico. Most of my Mexican coworkers think our celebrating Cinco de Mayo is hilarious given that they don't celebrate it.

And what is "Talk Like a Pirate Day"?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM

19 posts, read 33,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
#1 - So Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Martin Luther King Jr Day are all Christian? Although banks aren't closed on these days, what about Mother's and Father's Day?

#2 - American holidays are varied, some secular, some not, some unique to America.

#3 - This site states that more than 78% of Americans are Christian so majority rules. Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NO religious holidays should it be, NONE.

Judaism should be respected and is older than Christianity!!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
NO religious holidays should it be, NONE.

Judaism should be respected and is older than Christianity!!
And the Jewish in America make up 1.7% of our population. There are more agnostics in America.

I have a few Jewish friends and always respect their holidays. Also, every calendar I own notes Jewish holidays on it.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb Redjan, I Think You Missed His Point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
^^ This is because these are AMERICAN holidays! July 4th celebrates our independence. Groundhog Day is a holiday celebrated by the US and Canada. If you don't agree, don't celebrate it or move elsewhere where the minority gets holidays named for them. BTW, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the U.S. regionally and barely in Mexico. Most of my Mexican coworkers think our celebrating Cinco de Mayo is hilarious given that they don't celebrate it.

And what is "Talk Like a Pirate Day"?
I think he (Ghenghis) was being just a little sarcastic...'Fishing Opener'...'Talk Like A Pirate Day'...

As soon as I read his list, I had to stifle a chuckle...I don't think he meant any disrespect

Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 7,487 times
Because America is a Christian nation

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Why does the USA only celebrate Christian holidays and not any Jewish or any other religion's holidays?! None of them are secular at all!! What happened to separation of church and state?

St. Valentines Day > The day is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine, and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD.

Good Friday (STATE HOLIDAY IN 11 states!) - is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary.

Halloween - ( All Hallows' Eve) - Day before All Saint's Day !

Christmas Day (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - It is a Christian feast that commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ.

New Year's Day (Jan 1) (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - founded by Pope Gregory. It's year 2011 because he picked the date approx. Christ' birth year. Nothing is secular at all!
It's also Christ' circumcision according to Jewish law after Christmas Day and 7-8 days after birthday.

Malls and everything also shut downs on Christmas Day, most also on Easter but never on any other religious day except Christians
This is unfair and anti-semitic.

If I drive south to NJ border of Bergen County, they have blue laws where almost everything is closed on Sundays by law... why not on Saturday?!
Why are banks closed on Sundays but open half day on Jewish sabbath?

Everything only Christian and Christian.... many cities and counties have "Saint" names, many streets and others too

The short answer is because there are many, many, many more Christians than Jews in this country.

The long answer would cover the fact that a lot of religious holidays have been bastardized into secular consumer holidays:

Christmas ---> Santa Claus/North Pole/buy stuff until your credit card is maxed out

Valentine's Day (no St. in front of it, buddy) ---> candy, cards, romantic dinners, roses, etc...is there anything remotely Christian about this one?

Halloween ---> Kids dress up as scary figures and go door to door in an effort to acquire as many sugary treats as possible. Young adults dress up in more elaborate (or slutty) costumes and get drunk. Yes, the Christian message is overwhelming in this one, too.

New Years Day ---> Stay up till midnight, sing and get wasted drunk. Then sober up and watch college football with a hangover all day. I'm pretty sure Jesus did the same thing back in the day.

Easter ---> Probably one of the most Christian holidays left at this point...although you have the big retail sales and that stupid bunny that craps chocolate eggs.

You also forgot to mention St. Patty's Day, where we celebrate the Christian spirit by getting obnoxiously drunk off of beer with green food coloring in it.

As for the malls being closed...aside from the majority of this country being Christian, the consumer holiday side demands that people examine their presents thoroughly before returning them for things they actually wanted the next day. Malls are closed very few days of the year. There's simply not enough demand in most places to warrant the malls being open. As far as this being antisemitic, LMFAO....right, the malls are closed to punish the Joos! Probably revenge for running all of those damn sales over the holidays.

Also, good call on the Christian city, county, and street names. I know that one is exclusive to America. For shame.

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Outside of the northeast, Jews are a very small minority. It's possible to live in many parts of this country and never even meet a Jewish person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.