Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:28 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,314,575 times

Advertisements

I've seen people say SC is part of the 'Deep South' but in 1968, SC voted GOP when it voted for Nixon, along with other historically Democrat southern states Tenn, NC, VA, and Florida.

The 'Deep South' states , Alabama, Miss, etc voted for the racist Dixiecrat candidate George Wallace.

https://www.270towin.com/1968_Election/

I think 'Deep South' was used to described southern states that were added after the US gained its independence. I'm surprised people still use the expression today in the post slavery/segregation era.

SC was one of the original southern colonies so to me it makes no sense to to describe it as 'deep' south.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-15-2018 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 PM

21,528 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Maybe historically, yes. But in 2018, absolutely not.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,538,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Redneck = rural white person, usually of Anglo/British descent

Hillbilly = Scots-Irish from the Appalachians and Ozarks

Most Hillbillies are rednecks but not all rednecks are Hillbillies.
I have always wondered why the folks who live in the Northern Appalachian Montains are not considered "Hillbilies", but the folks who live in the Southern Appalachian Mountains are considered "Hillbillies". An oversight? A double-standard? Northerners with a superiority complex who have nothing but disdain for anything Southern?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,490,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I have always wondered why the folks who live in the Northern Appalachian Montains are not considered "Hillbilies", but the folks who live in the Southern Appalachian Mountains are considered "Hillbillies". An oversight? A double-standard? Northerners with a superiority complex who have nothing but disdain for anything Southern?
Oh trust me, we are often considered hillbillies by many elitists. It's just not as saturated in the collective minds of the public. As an example, Pennsylvania is for some reason the major punching-bag of the northeast elitism, even within its own borders. Maine as well gets frequently picked on by its immediate neighbors. New York state has an identity crisis the likes of which would make China seem collected.

There are multiple factors at play.

One, some northerners deny to the death that any "culture" they find unfavorable could possibly exist in their home state/region.

Two, many southerners who take pride in the titles like redneck convince themselves that the rural culture they personally favor is exclusively southern.

Three, it sometimes boils down to a difference in regional dialect. There are different names for the same kind of people up here whereas both redneck and hillbilly have their roots in referring to southern people. Generally northerners will refer to rural people in the north as "backwards", "the religious sort", "yokels", and yes, historically in some areas, "Yankees".

Four, and this is the big one in my opinion, the north focuses more on urban rivalry. People in the north often bad-mouth other cities rather than the small communities between them. To most urban northerners, the space between cities doesn't really exist. Whereas the rural cultures of the south are more known and prevalent in the public mind because there are less major metros in said region.

Five, a slight difference in approach. In the north, elitists consider the northern country-side to be a place to buy land, route the natives, and retire in a third home on a lake or mountain while shoving their wealth down the local's throats. Those same elitists consider the southern country-side a place to avoid because generally, rural southerners are more free to enact violence against a big jerk. In the north, litigation always finds its target. This, of course, still does not stop them all from buying land in southern states.

It's not that the rural folk in either region are really all that different, it's how the collective conscious of the masses perceive them. In truth, a mountain man from New Hampshire and his counter-part from Tennessee are not likely to be too at odds with one-another.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania = North Mid-Atlantic

Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia = South Mid-Atlantic

I personally prefer "upper" and "lower" as opposed to northern and southern.

Aside from that, I know this. My scenario is specifically geared toward Kode's perspective. Truth is as part of the overall Mid-Atlantic, that still gives Maryland more ties to the north than the south.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 14 days ago)

5,750 posts, read 5,518,427 times
There is absolutely a light redneck-y vibe in Pittsburgh. And Vermont and New Hampshire, BIG redneck aura. And parts of Upstate New York? Very redneck-y...

All "redneck" means to me is a form of poor to working class contemporary white American culture. It's not the only form, but it is "a" form of poor to working class white culture. It's harder to define, and easier to recognize when you see it...

Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,188,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I personally prefer "upper" and "lower" as opposed to northern and southern.
I think that works if for no other reason it does not bring up the eternal debate of where the line between the cultural North and South lies.

Quote:
Aside from that, I know this. My scenario is specifically geared toward Kode's perspective. Truth is as part of the overall Mid-Atlantic, that still gives Maryland more ties to the north than the south.
In my own experience in Maryland, the division between North and South is along an east-west axis. Interior Maryland has more Southern traits while the cities in the eastern part of the state are transitional/Northern.

But then again, rural people living in the Maryland Tidewater (or equivalent) seem to have a lot in common with their Southern coastal neighbors.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I've seen people say SC is part of the 'Deep South' but in 1968, SC voted GOP when it voted for Nixon, along with other historically Democrat southern states Tenn, NC, VA, and Florida.

The 'Deep South' states , Alabama, Miss, etc voted for the racist Dixiecrat candidate George Wallace.

https://www.270towin.com/1968_Election/

I think 'Deep South' was used to described southern states that were added after the US gained its independence. I'm surprised people still use the expression today in the post slavery/segregation era.

SC was one of the original southern colonies so to me it makes no sense to to describe it as 'deep' south.
I think today people think of the deep south as being the lowland south below NC, TN and sometimes middle-Arkansas. It has more to do with topography, climate and direction now.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:39 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,712,174 times
Quote:
I think today people think of the deep south as being the lowland south below NC, TN and sometimes middle-Arkansas. It has more to do with topography, climate and direction now.
Yes your right, the “Deep South” simply is a term to differentiate the lowland coastal south from the mountain and upland south.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:44 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,851,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Maybe historically, yes. But in 2018, absolutely not.
What makes it not southern today then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.