Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That the word "taxes" is pretty much a swear word.

Look at all the nice stuff we have here, we could have even NICER stuff just by slightly raising taxes on certain areas.
It's not RAISING taxes that's the issue, it's what done with the taxes we collect. If we didn't spend 30% of our national budget on defense expenditures in order to be the police department for the world, we could provide our citizens with some of these great social programs that European nations have. Unfortunately, that aint the case, because so far nobody's wiling to step up to the plate and share that burden.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:01 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
My American roommate writes:

- Police is scary and many are simple thugs
Your American roomate wrote that?

LOL

I thought you were a fake...

Old 10-24-2014, 03:09 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Your American roomate wrote that?

LOL

I thought you were a fake...
why would I be fake love?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I never know where my taxes are going thanks to the crappy state and federal govt's we have. I hate how many un educated people/ignorant citizens were have in America for example people say stupid crap like the Jews control the banks and Hollywood and Blacks are all great at basketball yet they are almost of them are on welfare, almost all Latinos are illegals... Americans say some of the dumbest crap I ever heard in my life. I went to Germany and their citizens are way more responsible about what they say and they also way more industrious than the average American despite the fact they have way more vacation time then we do. Germans are also way more progressive social as well which kinda shocked me.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
That we have to share a border with Canada.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Feminist extremists and the media.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I can't stand the entitlement mentality. That is the #1 problem in this country across all socioeconomic lines. Everyone feels they are entitled to everything. And they have a nasty attitude when they can't have their way.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:29 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly.

And about race, maybe if Europeans living in France or Britain once had slaves in their own backyards like early Americans did, it would be more of a lasting issue there. Those countries never had slavery at home in that way, only in their colonies. You can't visit France and step onto a plantation like you can in South Carolina and see the former slave quarters and masters' beautiful southern mansion in contrast. New World slavery is called New World slavery for a reason - it wasn't seen in the old world. Race relations weren't set up the same way in the old world. Europeans living in Europe did not have slavery like we once did here. You think those racial issues brought by European colonists when they brought slaves here magically disappeared when slaves were freed, OP? You'd be wrong if you do. I'm not one to dwell on slavery, but I do find what I've said to be true. Maybe Europeans don't understand race in America because they can't - their history does not match ours in that sense. That's my opinion on America's so called obsession with race. And btw I don't find this to be an excuse for modern day racism and pulling the race card, but I do think it's an explanation as to why it happens. I think it's actually impossible for Europeans to understand, yet they exude an air of being better than us because race is less acknowledged outright, apparently. Please.
great explanation, JerseyGirl. The story was set in motion back in Jamestown. And it has been etched into the very nature of the nation. not to understand race is not to understand America. and please understand when I say that, I say it in the effect it has had on society across the board. white america has been crippled by the divide that slavery created and how it has been perpetuated (of course, white South Africans were hurt by apartheid and the dysfunctional society it created). thanks for putting it in that historical context and doing it so well.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I can't stand the entitlement mentality. That is the #1 problem in this country across all socioeconomic lines. Everyone feels they are entitled to everything. And they have a nasty attitude when they can't have their way.
much of that stems from our mentality for the last 30 or so years; it's all about "me", not "we"

Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
But we live in a country that says you should have this
or else. What do you expect? People to not feel entitled. Yeah
right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.