Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM

291 posts, read 710,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
I'd like to arrainge a deal with the feds...
Yeah, well, I've been saying that since 1972, when my senator Frank Church (D-ID) co-sponsored the bill increasing SocSec benefits by 30%, introducing a COLA which has increased benefits above wages by about another 30%, and added a new (and widely abused) SSI welfare program to it, making it necessary to drastically increase the taxable wage ceiling and making a further increase of wage tax rates in 1983 inevitable. Today's outcome was predictable in 1972.

So I campaigned and voted for his opponent, and we did indeed get Church thrown out of office. Your only chance is to do the same.

Again, my apologies. But at least this is a small problem, compared to Medicare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
I'd like to arrainge a deal with the feds that I stop contributing to the Social Security program, get back what I've already contributed, and be responsible for my own retirement. I can't ***** myself any worse than they're gonna ***** me with this farce.
I read a great article a few years back about allowing people to opt out of social security and invest for their own retirement. The jist of it was that many people would be carefull and invest wisely however what some are afraid of is what would be referred to as Social Security part 2. Basically that would be for all the rest of the people that pissed their retirement money away therefore prompting the government to create another system to take care of them. We all know that the government wouldn't just say "OH we'll that was your decision, to bad you made some bad choices", but your right if everybody was responsible and made informed decisions it would probably work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.