Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,445 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for advice on which north-eastern cities/states most fit the bill for a future relocation.

I currently live in Texas and am in the IT industry, while my other half is an artist, currently completing graduate school in Nebraska.

We’ve agreed to move somewhere in the NE US after his education program is completed (Approx 1-2 years to decide, plan, and save).
I’ve lived and worked in West TX throughout my life; and while my partner is from here as well, he’s also lived in Connecticut, and loves the bustling city, diversity, and art culture found the eastern metropolitan areas such as NY and Boston.

Our primary concerns/needs from the city we choose are:

:: Reasonable cost of living/housing (He has his eye set on Boston MA, but at this time, even a modest living in/around that area will be very difficult to obtain)
:: Area where innovative art is either a large portion of the immediate culture or very close by
:: Good IT employment/Solid salary
:: Very judicious commute for me (half hour one way, car or public transportation)
:: Weather: I have physical problems in moderate/extreme cold (arthritis and poor circulation). In addition, my #1 hobby and exercise is cycling, which I realize may be limited anywhere in the NE due to weather and temperatures.
:: Recreation: Areas of safe road cycling routes or bike trails is something we'd both very much like in the immediate vicinity.

Are there any prospective cities or areas you'd suggest based on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
I’m looking for advice on which north-eastern cities/states most fit the bill for a future relocation.

I currently live in Texas and am in the IT industry, while my other half is an artist, currently completing graduate school in Nebraska.

We’ve agreed to move somewhere in the NE US after his education program is completed (Approx 1-2 years to decide, plan, and save).
I’ve lived and worked in West TX throughout my life; and while my partner is from here as well, he’s also lived in Connecticut, and loves the bustling city, diversity, and art culture found the eastern metropolitan areas such as NY and Boston.

Our primary concerns/needs from the city we choose are:

:: Reasonable cost of living/housing (He has his eye set on Boston MA, but at this time, even a modest living in/around that area will be very difficult to obtain)
:: Area where innovative art is either a large portion of the immediate culture or very close by
:: Good IT employment/Solid salary
:: Very judicious commute for me (half hour one way, car or public transportation)
:: Weather: I have physical problems in moderate/extreme cold (arthritis and poor circulation). In addition, my #1 hobby and exercise is cycling, which I realize may be limited anywhere in the NE due to weather and temperatures.
:: Recreation: Areas of safe road cycling routes or bike trails is something we'd both very much like in the immediate vicinity.

Are there any prospective cities or areas you'd suggest based on this?
My first instinct was the Hartford, CT area - the most reasonably priced area that fits your criteria in the NE - you've got a solid employment base with good salaries. The cost is much less than the NYC and Boston areas, and you are located within a "easy" drive of both. My only concern is the moderate/extreme cold. To me, it isn't, but someone from West Texas may not feel the same. You may want to pose this question in the CT forum.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:53 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My first instinct was the Hartford, CT area - the most reasonably priced area that fits your criteria in the NE - you've got a solid employment base with good salaries. The cost is much less than the NYC and Boston areas, and you are located within a "easy" drive of both. My only concern is the moderate/extreme cold. To me, it isn't, but someone from West Texas may not feel the same. You may want to pose this question in the CT forum.
Hartford initially came to my mind as well, as did Providence. Boston is ludicrously expensive, as is New York City. Albany, NY might be another good choice, but I don't know how the IT industry is there, and I also think the winters might be too harsh for them. Providence and Hartford are usually kept just a tad more moderate than Albany due to their proximity to the ocean. Worcester and Springfield, MA both look good on paper as well, but I've heard that they are "dumps" from many other people. Then again, most people call Scranton a "dump" as well, and it's actually a fairly nice city, so to each his own I suppose.

P.S. Also if you don't mind my asking, by "partner" you're not implying you're a same-sex couple, are you? If so you might want to stick nearer to mid-sized coastal cities as possible, as folks in the interior Northeast can be a bit judgmental and socially-regressive on such issues.

Best of luck, and Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
P.S. Also if you don't mind my asking, by "partner" you're not implying you're a same-sex couple, are you? If so you might want to stick nearer to mid-sized coastal cities as possible, as folks in the interior Northeast can be a bit judgmental and socially-regressive on such issues.

I gotta strongly disagree with this. Western MA and Vermont are some of the most gay-friendly areas around.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I'm not sure what the IT industry is like there, but I think Providence fits your other requirements quite well. Philadelphia is another place to consider, which would be a smidge warmer, but again, I'm uncertain as to what the IT industry is like around there. Otherwise though, it fits your bill in being cheap (well, for the NE), having an active arts community, large park/recreation network, and public transport available.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,445 times
Thanks for the thoughts so far! I'll definitely look up those areas of CT,PA, and RI to see if we might fair well in one of them. I like the overall idea of CT much better than MA personally, and I know he enjoyed that area when he was there as well. (Albany NY might be a tad too nippy for me!)

P.S. In regard to your question SWB; it's a hetero relationship. Boyfriend/girlfriend just sounds so odd to me past a certain age, so.. 'significant other' might be a better phrase perhaps? We are a mixed racial couple though, but we're both thick skinned and have already seen it all when it comes to that particular issue, so it's all good!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 PM

148 posts, read 739,101 times
I would suggest Litchfield County in CT. You mentioned cycling...it is insane how many cyclists one might see on any day spring through fall! People are very cautious of cyclists b/c there are so many out on the country roads.
Also, it's not too far from cities like Hartford, Stamford, Bridgeport, and Danbury. And don't worry, people are NOT socially regressive. A lot of people up here are weekenders from the city...even towards mixed race couples.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I gotta strongly disagree with this. Western MA and Vermont are some of the most gay-friendly areas around.
...and PA outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh obviously isn't.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-31-2007 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-31-2007, 04:30 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
I would suggest Litchfield County in CT. You mentioned cycling...it is insane how many cyclists one might see on any day spring through fall! People are very cautious of cyclists b/c there are so many out on the country roads.
Also, it's not too far from cities like Hartford, Stamford, Bridgeport, and Danbury. And don't worry, people are NOT socially regressive. A lot of people up here are weekenders from the city...even towards mixed race couples.
I agree, and would say the Northeast in general is very tolerant (for lack of a better term). To the OP: don't even give a second thought as to being a mixed race couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.