Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times

Advertisements

Well, the rebel flags sure fooled me.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Yuck! Do not compare my home state to either of those cities. My god the differences are in the thousands, and the vast majority of Floridians want nothing to do with the south. We aren't "New South". We are Florida.
Yeah, Atlanta and Charlotte are generally more progressive than most parts of Florida. They shouldn't be grouped together.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, Atlanta and Charlotte are generally more progressive than most parts of Florida. They shouldn't be grouped together.
What on earth would make you say Atlanta and Charlotte are more progressive than Florida? Maybe more progressive than the panhandle. Certainly not elsewhere in the state.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Quote:
What on earth would make you say Atlanta and Charlotte are more progressive than Florida? Maybe more progressive than the panhandle. Certainly not elsewhere in the state.
Please read what Mutiny said. Mutiny said Atlanta and Charlotte were more progressive than most parts of Florida. Most parts of Florida does not equal Miami...not even close. You also admitted Florida is not the "New South" which opened the door for criticism. What parts of Florida outside of Miami do you feel are more progressive than Charlotte and Atlanta, and why?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Please read what Mutiny said. Mutiny said Atlanta and Charlotte were more progressive than most parts of Florida. Most parts of Florida does not equal Miami...not even close. You also admitted Florida is not the "New South" which opened the door for criticism. What parts of Florida outside of Miami do you feel are more progressive than Charlotte and Atlanta, and why?
I wouldn't say that Atlanta is more progressive than any of Florida's major cities. But from a fiscal prospective Florida tends to be a pretty conservative place. Socially though it is far more progressive than anywhere in the South.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
If you collate all the comments on this forum considering the status of states as 'Southern or not Southern' you will come to the conclusion that there is no consensus on the legitimacy of even one Southern state. Even the best candidates have either too many Northern carpetbaggers or too many funny talkin' subcultures to be a 'true' Southern state.

You heard it here, folks, the South does not exist.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you collate all the comments on this forum considering the status of states as 'Southern or not Southern' you will come to the conclusion that there is no consensus on the legitimacy of even one Southern state. Even the best candidates have either too many Northern carpetbaggers or too many funny talkin' subcultures to be a 'true' Southern state.

You heard it here, folks, the South does not exist.
Not true. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas. All Southern states. No one would argue it.

People argue about places like Texas, Oklahoma, northern Kentucky, and northern Virginia. Places that straddle two different cultures. And I have never heard anyone on this board, including myself, say any of those places are "not Southern". It is time and time again that people say these places are a "mix".

The big nasty truth is that the South and "Southern" has a very negative connotation attached to it. Think of something great about America and you can bet your bottom dollar that it probably didn't come out of the American South. And most of the negative attributes about our country and its history are centered on Dixie. People not of that heritage don't want to be connected to that.

That being said, there are a lot of people moving to the South these days (Northerners and immigrants from abroad) who would probably like to find a middle ground with "Southerness". That middle ground is whats called a "mix".

As these things go the people living in parts of the South such as Texas and who aren't part of this change are going to reject it as much as they can.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that Atlanta is more progressive than any of Florida's major cities. But from a fiscal prospective Florida tends to be a pretty conservative place. Socially though it is far more progressive than anywhere in the South.
Atlanta's more progressive than all of Florida's major cities; it's more educated, has more highly-regarded educational institutions, has a larger corporate base, rail-based transit, etc. Even in the tough spot it's in now, Atlanta still generally offers more opportunities than Florida's major cities.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Not true. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas. All Southern states. No one would argue it.

People argue about places like Texas, Oklahoma, northern Kentucky, and northern Virginia. Places that straddle two different cultures. And I have never heard anyone on this board, including myself, say any of those places are "not Southern". It is time and time again that people say these places are a "mix".

The big nasty truth is that the South and "Southern" has a very negative connotation attached to it. Think of something great about America and you can bet your bottom dollar that it probably didn't come out of the American South. And most of the negative attributes about our country and its history are centered on Dixie. People not of that heritage don't want to be connected to that.

That being said, there are a lot of people moving to the South these days (Northerners and immigrants from abroad) who would probably like to find a middle ground with "Southerness". That middle ground is whats called a "mix".

As these things go the people living in parts of the South such as Texas and who aren't part of this change are going to reject it as much as they can.
How about music (jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, country), cuisine (Cajun/Creole, Lowcountry), beaches, etc. for starters?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How about music (jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, country), cuisine (Cajun/Creole, Lowcountry), beaches, etc. for starters?
I could argue each of these, but I see no point in doing so because they are such tiny and trivial things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.