Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:22 PM

171 posts, read 181,087 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed the Soo and driving thru the UP but stayed away from Detroit as I was told by a Michigander that "they will kill you." Seems to be the Muslim capital of the USA so would not want to be around that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:33 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
I enjoyed the Soo and driving thru the UP but stayed away from Detroit as I was told by a Michigander that "they will kill you." Seems to be the Muslim capital of the USA so would not want to be around that.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
I would be more afraid of thugs and gangs than I would be afraid of the well-to-do Lebanese of Dearborn. They make great food, too.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I view it as place that the winter weather is too cold for me!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The perception of Michigan often aligns with the perception of Detroit, no matter how wrong that may be. To many people across the country Detroit IS Michigan.
I would be surprised given the average Geographic IQ in this country that any sort of correlation between Detroit and Michigan could be established.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:36 AM

47 posts, read 62,791 times
From a Texas POV and having never been to MI:

UP seems like a big nature reserve, not many people.

LP is mostly characterized by decaying urban areas and dead factory towns. Best decades solidly in the past. Good colleges, not much else going for it. Also Muslims.

Just stating perception, I'm sure reality is different.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,028 times
I have to admit that I do not know too much about Michigan. I went to Lansing once when my cousin went to school there.
But my perception of Michigan overall is that there are alot of poverty, close-minded people and plenty of bigotry.
As an overall, it is a blue-collar state that is declining due to outsourcing.
Again, I might be wrong. I apologize if my perception is wrong.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texicon View Post
From a Texas POV and having never been to MI:

UP seems like a big nature reserve, not many people.

LP is mostly characterized by decaying urban areas and dead factory towns. Best decades solidly in the past. Good colleges, not much else going for it. Also Muslims.

Just stating perception, I'm sure reality is different.
Outside of Detroit Metro, you will hardly find Muslims. West Michigan is known as being overwhelmingly White and Christian. Even Jews are hard to find on the west coastal areas of Michigan.

Grand Rapids, the second most populous metro barely has Muslims and I think the Jewish population is near zero.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Most people outside the great lakes midwest don't know much about mchigan. They may know something about Detroit (urban decay, car industry) but there is a great share of people in this country who don't even know Detroit is in Michigan.

My opinion of Michigan is that it's kind of a midwestern, freshwater version of Florida. In fact, there is a lot of exchange between the two states. A lot of Michiganders relocated to Florida, and in Michigan during the summer you will see a lot of Florida plates (snow birds). Most Michiganders, if they take a vacation, it's either "up north" (northern Michigan), Chicago, or somewhere in Florida.

In terms of beauty, it's definitely the most beautiful midwestern state. Wisconsin and Minnesota, its only major competition, lack the UP or just the sheer amount of Great Lakes coastline. They might have what Michigan has but in smaller quantities. However, Michigan cities are struggling, and much of SE Michigan is rather an ugly sprawl fest.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Most people outside the great lakes midwest don't know much about mchigan. They may know something about Detroit (urban decay, car industry) but there is a great share of people in this country who don't even know Detroit is in Michigan.

My opinion of Michigan is that it's kind of a midwestern, freshwater version of Florida. In fact, there is a lot of exchange between the two states. A lot of Michiganders relocated to Florida, and in Michigan during the summer you will see a lot of Florida plates (snow birds). Most Michiganders, if they take a vacation, it's either "up north" (northern Michigan), Chicago, or somewhere in Florida.

In terms of beauty, it's definitely the most beautiful midwestern state. Wisconsin and Minnesota, its only major competition, lack the UP or just the sheer amount of Great Lakes coastline. They might have what Michigan has but in smaller quantities. However, Michigan cities are struggling, and much of SE Michigan is rather an ugly sprawl fest.
Not all Michigan cities are struggling. But their stories are unfortunately not often told, and they are not auto centric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.