Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:49 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

It seems, after all, that "white flight" was a round trip ticket as most major urban areas are seeing a resurgence in their white population, with a few exceptions, of course. Cities like Washington, DC, Atlanta were once chocolate cities but may soon lose that melanin.

I think majority black cities were the creation of white racism, mostly, as blacks integrated these cities and whites vacated for suburban areas. Of course, blacks were often red lined and discriminated against to keep them from following thus swelling black populations were concentrated on certain sides of town and or in the city.

Today, racism is not as bad as it used to be, although still very much an issue. However, there are now many Hispanics and Asian Americans, much more than there were in the 60's and 70's. Thus, it seems highly unlikely that any New cities will become majority black. They may become majority minority in the short run, but I think the long term trend will be for the poor, which people of color disproportionately are, will be concentrated in old inner ring suburbs that have fallen out of favor.

I think that in about 25 years, even Detroit might have its majority black distinction threatened. That said, I can definitely see many new cities becoming majority Hispanic....manly in the SW.

As a side note, I wonder will Mississippi be the first state with a majority black population.....if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,417 times
There are a lot of US cities that are majority black already. Are you referring to cities that have populations like say, the 10 largest cities? Or just cities that have, say, over 100,000 people?

As far as states go, I think Louisiana, maybe other Southern states, had majority black populations in the 1800s. Today, Mississippi has almost 40% black population. I personally don't see it going over 50%, considering that the black population in America has remained relatively the same percentage wise. Other groups (ESPECIALLY Hispanics) have had spikes in population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population

Old 09-03-2016, 06:42 PM

605 posts, read 670,136 times
I have heard that Memphis is about to become the first metro area in the US with a majority black population.

http://www.kait8.com/story/5884420/m...ack-metro-area

That being said most black people in cities such as Detroit, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, and DC are leaving those cities for the suburbs so I doubt you will see any more large cities that have a majority black population than what exists currently.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Mississippi was predominately Black until 1930 and South Carolina was predominately Black until 1920.

As for metros, I believe that there are already some predominately Black metros and Albany GA comes to mind.

As for new cities becoming predominately Black, you may have some smaller cities like say Randolph MA(about 43% Black and increasing), Brockton MA(about 41% Black) or perhaps a city like Rochester NY(about 42% Black) maybe becoming so. Milwaukee WI may be the one major, non Southern city that fits(also about 42% Black). Cincinnati OH may be another one(about 45% Black). So, there are some that are somewhat bucking the city demographic trend or select suburban communities that have increasing Black percentages that may surprise some people.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-03-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 07:00 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Mississippi was predominately Black until 1930 and South Carolina was predominately Black until 1920.

As for metros, I believe that there are already some predominately Black metros and Albany GA comes to mind.

As for new cities becoming predominately Black, you may have some smaller cities like say Randolph MA(about 43% Black and increasing), Brockton MA(about 41% Black) or perhaps a city like Rochester NY(about 42% Black) maybe becoming so. Milwaukee WI may be the one major, non Southern city that fits(also about 42% Black). Cincinnati OH may be another one(about 45% Black). So, there are some that are somewhat bucking the city demographic trend or select suburban communities that have increasing Black percentages that may surprise some people.
Yes....that is what I meant. Will there be any NEW major principle cities (not suburbs) that turn majority black? I asked that because many historical places, like Harlem, Watts, DC, Atlanta....have changed demographically.

I think the new era will be suburban areas turning majority black as the majority of blacks will be suburban rather than urban going forward. Those cities you mentioned, like Milwaukee and Cinci, have gotten as close as they will get....in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Reverse-white flight says no. We may, however, see more predominantly Latino cities.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It seems, after all, that "white flight" was a round trip ticket as most major urban areas are seeing a resurgence in their white population, with a few exceptions, of course. Cities like Washington, DC, Atlanta were once chocolate cities but may soon lose that melanin.

I think majority black cities were the creation of white racism, mostly, as blacks integrated these cities and whites vacated for suburban areas. Of course, blacks were often red lined and discriminated against to keep them from following thus swelling black populations were concentrated on certain sides of town and or in the city.

Today, racism is not as bad as it used to be, although still very much an issue. However, there are now many Hispanics and Asian Americans, much more than there were in the 60's and 70's. Thus, it seems highly unlikely that any New cities will become majority black. They may become majority minority in the short run, but I think the long term trend will be for the poor, which people of color disproportionately are, will be concentrated in old inner ring suburbs that have fallen out of favor.

I think that in about 25 years, even Detroit might have its majority black distinction threatened. That said, I can definitely see many new cities becoming majority Hispanic....manly in the SW.

As a side note, I wonder will Mississippi be the first state with a majority black population.....if ever.
Mississippi and Louisiana were both majority-black states for most of their history until the mid 20th century.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes....that is what I meant. Will there be any NEW major principle cities (not suburbs) that turn majority black? I asked that because many historical places, like Harlem, Watts, DC, Atlanta....have changed demographically.

I think the new era will be suburban areas turning majority black as the majority of blacks will be suburban rather than urban going forward. Those cities you mentioned, like Milwaukee and Cinci, have gotten as close as they will get....in my opinion.
You may be right about Milwaukee and Cincinnati, given back to the city trends. With that said, 2020 will be interesting. Same with Rochester. I thought about Buffalo, which is about 39% Black, but there are changes occurring there. What is interesting about those last 2 cities is that they both have their share of Black people in leadership positions including mayor. Cincinnati may as well.

People may have forgotten that Cleveland is still predominately Black at about 52% Black, but again, time will tell.

Another thing people overlook is the migration of people from the Northeast and Midwest to Southern cities are changing the demographics in those cities. That plays a part as to why many of the cities in that region aren't or won't be predominately Black. Annexation also plays a part in this as well. This is why the best bet will have to be those cities previously mention due to the lack of annexation and their current demography.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Whites in the South are moving even farther out to the exurbs. There are a small number that are moving to downtown areas, but it's not the norm for most people. The city nearest to me (Mobile,AL) just recently turned majority black as whites are still fleeing to the next county. Same thing with Pensacola,FL , whites are moving out and going to neighboring Santa Rosa County.

I think you will see a lot of smaller cities across the South become majority black over the next decade or two.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,864 times
Maybe Atlanta? Blacks make up nearly 20% of the entire U.S. population so the chance of ever finding or forming a city that's majority black is close to zero. Latinos have a better chance of creating one. We're already seeing it in El Paso and cities in the Deep South by the U.S. / Mexico border.

And to respond to your opening post about racism not being as bad as it used to be...I disagree. I think America now is more racist than it's ever been. That's what happens when you become the melting pot of the world. Back in the 50's and 60's it was openly acceptable to be racist in parts of the U.S. Now it's socially unacceptable and you get called out on it so people keep it to themselves. Just because someone doesn't say anything racist doesn't mean they're not because you can still have internal racist tendencies. There's a reason you can find more racist comments online than in person because it's not face to face. It's gotten worse since we have a black president IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.