Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM
chh chh started this thread

420 posts, read 648,029 times

Advertisements

I feel like Michigan gets alot of bad rep for cities like Detroit, Flint and Saginaw. As a lifetime resident of this state, I'd like to know how people from other places view the Mitt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,638,873 times
I know enough about it to look beyond the Detroit stigma. It's not high on my bucket list but it is a state that I would like to visit sometime. I'd like to see areas in the northern parts like Traverse City, Sleeping Bear dunes, Mackinac Island, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Looks beautiful up there from photos I've seen.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I know enough about it to look beyond the Detroit stigma. It's not high on my bucket list but it is a state that I would like to visit sometime. I'd like to see areas in the northern parts like Traverse City, Sleeping Bear dunes, Mackinac Island, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Looks beautiful up there from photos I've seen.
I can say from firsthand experience that those places are awesome. Those pure Michigan ads truly aren't that exaggerated, this state is beautiful.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 PM

233 posts, read 371,277 times
I think outside of the cities with bad crime, Michigan is also known for very top-notch Midwestern schools, and also being hands down the most beautiful state in the Midwest. I think that even the rural people are thought of as more mild mannered, somewhat more educated, and clean than other parts of the Midwest such as example central or southern Indiana, etc. I would move to Michigan in a heartbeat if I could take my family with me.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,885,919 times
I don't think Michigan gets a bad rep at all. Especially not compared to many other states. The biggest "issue" most people probably have with Michigan is that it's Midwestern, in the middle of nowhere, not a coastal state, stuff like that (not that I agree with those usually more negative perceptions). Michigan does NOT have the type of negative national reputation a state like my own does.

I have no issues with Michigan at all.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,675,539 times
Perception of Michigan is very blue collar state. Automotive. Urban decay. African American.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,855,689 times
Muslims, Union, and high taxes.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Perception of Michigan is very blue collar state. Automotive. Urban decay. African American.
African American? I haven't heard that before. I suppose there are larger black communities in cities here, but that's not something that only happens in michigan. Detroit is also 83 percent black.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,059,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
I feel like Michigan gets alot of bad rep for cities like Detroit, Flint and Saginaw. As a lifetime resident of this state, I'd like to know how people from other places view the Mitt.
Most of the big cities are ghetto **** holes, but there is so much natural beauty in Michigan. I spent two years in Marquette and those two years were amazing. So much great hiking and Lake Superior really is a freshwater sea. The UP is a scaled down version of coastal Oregon in my opinion. There were a few times when I was driving down the 101 in Oregon that it felt like Route 28 from Marquette to Munising. The western coast of the LP is also incredible.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:08 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,455,842 times
Michigan? Let's see. Motown music, Eminem, Freaks and Geeks, Michigan/Ohio State football rivalry, Henry Ford (automobiles), the 2008 Detroit Lions (I'm so sorry). I'm from North Carolina, never set a foot in Michigan. However, I view it as a midwestern state in the same neighborhood as Wisconsin and Minnesota. Three states that are pretty similar in many regards, and three states that are brutally freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.