Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:38 PM

19 posts, read 21,228 times

Advertisements

Hey out there! So I'm wanting to move from sunny Southern California. Some may say I'm crazy but I need change and seasons! I'm a young 27 year old gay male. (Not to hung up on the gay scene) but wanting to move to a city that has a lot of life and culture. So I've come up with 3 cities that I'm pretty interested in. Portland: it's a fun city. The only city out of the 3 I've spent time in. Have friends in the area that will help me out when I get there. Denver: hear it's up and coming. Smallest out of the 3 cities but has a good downtown life I hear. Also have a friend that can somewhat help when I'm there. Chicago: don't know anyone and would be a completely different experience. If love some input from people who have had experience in these cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 12:54 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,064,688 times
Off the cuff, Portland seems like your best option. You seem to like it there and are familiar with the area. You also have the most support there out of the cities you mentioned.

...its a no-brainer. I don't see anything in your post that really explains why Chicago is even among the 3 options

Old 11-02-2014, 01:00 PM

The Chicago thing is more of a complete change. I didn't mention but I had lived in Eugene Oregon for a while. I've moved a handful of times to places I've never been before and love the idea of a new start. Out of the major cities Chicago appeals to me most.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,064,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb8726 View Post
The Chicago thing is more of a complete change. I didn't mention but I had lived in Eugene Oregon for a while. I've moved a handful of times to places I've never been before and love the idea of a new start. Out of the major cities Chicago appeals to me most.
Oh, well hell if establishing stability pretty quickly is a factor you're very secure with, then of course Chicago. I've never been to Portland...I figured it a no-brainer because of your familiarity and the pre-existing base of support. If those 2 things aren't deciding factors for you, then I'd definitely choose the Chi

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 11-02-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 01:12 PM

I don't know much about a person experience in Chicago so was wanting some opinions from the public on here

Old 11-02-2014, 01:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,960,516 times
Well, The City of Chicago has put up a big rainbow sign for its gay neighborhood, and the politicians court votes there, so it is officially recognized:

Gay Chicago, Boystown neighborhood

Old 11-02-2014, 02:23 PM

403 posts, read 1,321,061 times
All I can say about Chicago is that the winters will be brutal there compared to the other two cities. If you're not concerned about the wind, snow and cold, then it's worth trying out!

Old 11-02-2014, 03:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,217,787 times
I am a 30 year old gay guy. I lived in Denver for almost 10 years, and relocated to Chicago last fall. Both are great cities in different ways. Denver is warmer, sunnier and dryer, Chicago's weather is tough... hot and humid summers, coupled with cold, cloudy winters. From a cultural standpoint, there is more happening in Chicago (which is obvious, as it's a much larger, older city). IMO, the people in Denver are more laid back and friendly than the people in Chicago.

Just FYI, Denver is actually larger than Portland, but they're fairly comparable

Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,303,813 times
Rent in Denver is shooting through the roof right now and jobs are not paying enough to keep up with it. When the spike is done expect it to be on par with the western coastal cities when it comes to cost of living. It is already almost there. I'd put off Denver for a few years until that city finishes turning into what it is turning into (an extremely expensive city that people move to so they can smoke marijuana to their hearts content). Moving from a coastal city too expect the change in altitude to greatly effect your health for at least a few months. Your body may never adapt. Definitely keep that in mind when it comes to picking a place to live.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,764,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Rent in Denver is shooting through the roof right now and jobs are not paying enough to keep up with it. When the spike is done expect it to be on par with the western coastal cities when it comes to cost of living. It is already almost there. I'd put off Denver for a few years until that city finishes turning into what it is turning into (an extremely expensive city that people move to so they can smoke marijuana to their hearts content). Moving from a coastal city too expect the change in altitude to greatly effect your health for at least a few months. Your body may never adapt. Definitely keep that in mind when it comes to picking a place to live.
For the love of GOD stop with the marijuana generalizations. The economy is by far and away the #1 reason why Denver's hopping right now. I'm trying to have sympathy for you, but you make it really hard with all your rants about pot.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 11-02-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.