Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,812 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

In a year or so I am embarking on a journey to my new home. I am very excited and nervous, but ready to go. Only problem is, I don't know where I am going yet!

In May I visited Western Kentucky and absolutely adored it. I was originally planning on moving with my ex to Louisville (he's from the area) this spring. Obviously, not going to happen and unfortunately he is still moving there.

Anyways, what I loved about my research of Louisville was the availability of affordable housing (1-2 bedroom apartments in nice neighborhoods, not necessarily close to the city, for around $1,000/month or less), the Southern vibe with a more liberal feel, the climate, a decently young population, and most importantly the prevalence of crafting as a past time.

I am a huge knitter and quilter and cross stitcher. That is the field I work in and want to continue to work in, as well as where I meet most of my friends. I would love to find another place that has the above attributes where I feel I could really fit in. I do not fit in at all in Nevada or California where I am originally from and Western Kentucky was where I felt most at home, like Paducah area. Anyone have suggestions for me so I can start researching some new cities? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,911 times
Are you set on moving to Kentucky? Or are you looking into other areas too.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitterz View Post
Hello everyone!

In a year or so I am embarking on a journey to my new home. I am very excited and nervous, but ready to go. Only problem is, I don't know where I am going yet!

In May I visited Western Kentucky and absolutely adored it. I was originally planning on moving with my ex to Louisville (he's from the area) this spring. Obviously, not going to happen and unfortunately he is still moving there.

Anyways, what I loved about my research of Louisville was the availability of affordable housing (1-2 bedroom apartments in nice neighborhoods, not necessarily close to the city, for around $1,000/month or less), the Southern vibe with a more liberal feel, the climate, a decently young population, and most importantly the prevalence of crafting as a past time.

I am a huge knitter and quilter and cross stitcher. That is the field I work in and want to continue to work in, as well as where I meet most of my friends. I would love to find another place that has the above attributes where I feel I could really fit in. I do not fit in at all in Nevada or California where I am originally from and Western Kentucky was where I felt most at home, like Paducah area. Anyone have suggestions for me so I can start researching some new cities? Thanks!

Paducah is a nice town, has some tourist areas not far, has a great Quilt museum as well as a "Quilt In A Day" shop, good food, but I don't know about clubs/bars.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,812 times
Ok so I love Kentucky, don't want to move there. Paducah is awesome, been there before and loved it. Do not want to be in Kentucky. I want to find a place that is like Kentucky.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

There are a number of cities in the South that would fit your criteria. Check out cities like Nashville TN, Knoxville TN and Tallahassee FL. For smaller towns check out Athens GA or Gainesville FL, which are major college towns though well-rounded in terms of housing and social/recreational options for all ages.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 48,956 times
You might want to consider Athens, Ga. There are two nice yarn shops here with lots of classes, activities, etc. (google yarn shops, athens, ga to check them out), one in Athens and one in Watkinsville and an active arts and arts & crafts community. It really is a lovely place, great weather, lots a of music and good restaurants, everything easily accessible. We moved here from OH by way of NM and are quite content.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Carrollton , Georgia has a new quilt museum. Its a nice town 50 miles west of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.