Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:41 PM

581 posts, read 968,994 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Southern MD, "Mid-Atlantic" was invariably used to mean VA (all of it), MD, DC, and often DE. When I moved to PA for college I found that Pennsylvanians consider themselves Mid-Atlantic and found this very strange. I have never heard of NY being Mid-Atlantic outside of posts on City-Data.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Growing up in Southern MD, "Mid-Atlantic" was invariably used to mean VA (all of it), MD, DC, and often DE. When I moved to PA for college I found that Pennsylvanians consider themselves Mid-Atlantic and found this very strange. I have never heard of NY being Mid-Atlantic outside of posts on City-Data.
I grew up in PG county and that was what I learned as well. DE, MD, VA and DC. I also recall and consider S. Jersey as well. Basically the MD/PA border extended eastward to the coast down to the VA/NC border. two nice straight lines that cover the Mid Atlantic part of the east coast, blending the south to the north. Only on this forum have I heard of NY or PA considered part of that region, those states touch the great lakes.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Born and raised here in PG County, Maryland 22 years of my life and the Mid-Atlantic region that comes to the minds of myself and my friends/family/history/geography classes both grade school and now college primarily consists of Maryland, DC, Virginia (mostly NoVa but sometimes the larger northern 1/3rd of the state extending deep into the Shenandoah Valley and the Charlottesville area is often included), Delaware, Pennsylvania (the southeastern part at least), New Jersey (mainly South Jersey), and West Virginia (sometimes). New York is often a stretch...Not that it's New England obviously.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:55 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Born and raised here in PG County, Maryland 22 years of my life and the Mid-Atlantic region that comes to the minds of myself and my friends/family/history/geography classes both grade school and now college primarily consists of Maryland, DC, Virginia (mostly NoVa but sometimes the larger northern 1/3rd of the state extending deep into the Shenandoah Valley and the Charlottesville area is often included), Delaware, Pennsylvania (the southeastern part at least), New Jersey (mainly South Jersey), and West Virginia (sometimes). New York is often a stretch...Not that it's New England obviously.
New York is usually placed with New England as part of the Northeast which also include the Mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, DE, MD), creating the Northeast Megalopolis, an continuous urban area spanning from Boston to Washington.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:48 PM

60 posts, read 113,843 times
I can see why most would only include NOVA in midatlantic out of VA, but Richmond and Norfolk are just as diffrent if not more compared to NC,TN,and KY cities than DC and MD

Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEars85 View Post
I can see why most would only include NOVA in midatlantic out of VA, but Richmond and Norfolk are just as diffrent if not more compared to NC,TN,and KY cities than DC and MD
My point exactly

Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Why is NOVA the only place in Virginia considered mid-atlantic when the state, or the original colonies for that matter, did not even start in that area? The only way to get to the Atlantic from there is through the bottom of the Chesapeake bay between Hampton and Virginia Beach.

Somebody clear this up for me. Isn't Mid-Atlantic a location, not really a specific culture of the overall area?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Because the south truly starts when you hit Richmond. Northern Virginia and up is the epitome of mid-atlantic culture. South west Virginia is as southern as Alabama or Missouri. Very distinct southern accent and culture. Northern Virginia is much like Northern New Jersey.
You mean Mississippi right?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Why is NOVA the only place in Virginia considered mid-atlantic when the state, or the original colonies for that matter, did not even start in that area? The only way to get to the Atlantic from there is through the bottom of the Chesapeake bay between Hampton and Virginia Beach.

Somebody clear this up for me. Isn't Mid-Atlantic a location, not really a specific culture of the overall area?
Mid atlantic also refers to culture which is why if you look on the mid atlantic maps NoVa is shades darker than the rest of virginia. Making NoVa apart of the core of the midatlantic. Also Virginia colonies were southern colonies not middle colonies.... So I don't get what your point with was?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
You mean Mississippi right?
Yes I did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.