Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:11 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,212 times

Advertisements

YOU are correct kyle19125 -- and thanks for the helpful assessment!

Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If it's already first on your list (I'm making the assumption I'm correct!) I would say you can't go wrong with Chapel Hill or neighboring Carrboro. The seasons are very equally distributed and neither Summer or Winter reach the extremes of most areas of the country. Sunshine is above average in my opinion, as I lived there for several years and am originally from Florida, and have also lived in DC and Philadelphia. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is quite affordable for most and your price range is pretty spot on in terms of desirable places to live. Durham is nearby and what you can't find in Chapel Hill or Carrboro will be found in Durham which offers a top-flight food scene ( a few NY Times mentions) and excellent cultural amenities as well (google the Durham Performing Arts Center and American Dance Festival). RDU airport is 30 minutes away and offers plenty of service to most anywhere you'll need to travel with a good number of nonstop flights. Outdoor recreation opportunity is very plentiful with a good number of hiking/running trails (fairly non-rigorous though the mountains are two hours away) with both swimming and kayaking in nearby Jordan Lake and bike lanes/trails all over the place. Duke Forest is a really nice area to get out and hike/bike/walk in. Lastly of course you have UNC and Duke in close proximity as well as NCCU in Durham (an HBCU) and Durham Tech Community College, plus a decent commute to either Alamance CC in Graham or Central Carolina CC in Pittsboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Just beware that Chapel Hill and the Raleigh metro area is now starting to become expensive, with the median home value being $203K. That's the highest of any large metro area in the South, south of Virginia. Even higher than Southeast Florida. Just make sure you're okay with southern culture as well. Despite half the population being northern transplants, North Carolina's metro areas still have a major Southern influence and culture.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
I think Phoenix area and Tucson are hard to beat right now.

I think you also were looking at international locations. For that, I would recommend Thailand. I think in S. America, Vina del Mar in Chile is good as is Cusco, Peru.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 AM

734 posts, read 920,340 times
Downtown/NE St. Petersburg

Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
Las Vegas

No state income tax
Very low rent in good neighborhoods
Home to UNLV and CSN
Major metro area (two million and rising)
Little to no winter, no snow.
Ridiculously good hiking options, year round (Red Rock, Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire)
McCarran International Airport lies in the middle of the city and services basically wherever you need to go.
Very little traffic congestion... The city has been laid out to accommodate future expansion. Very easy to get around town.
Rapidly increasing number of college grads.
Vegas is surrounded by fantastic State and National Parks as well.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Default The South

Thanks for the advice nep321 -- appreciated!

I'm not buying -- will be renting and have been looking for months; I know I can afford what I want.

There's no way housing in the Triangle is pricier than Southern Florida though -- I have spent extensive time there and know that is simply not true (see the attachment from Money Magazine). :-)

I love Southern culture; while I have never lived in the South, I have traveled there and I'm not at all naive when it comes to these kinds of things. I love new people and places!

Best "Sunny and Warm" Cities in the US?-screen-capture-1.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just beware that Chapel Hill and the Raleigh metro area is now starting to become expensive, with the median home value being $203K. That's the highest of any large metro area in the South, south of Virginia. Even higher than Southeast Florida. Just make sure you're okay with southern culture as well. Despite half the population being northern transplants, North Carolina's metro areas still have a major Southern influence and culture.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks Tall Traveler!

I have indeed considered both Phoenix and Tucson. I've ruled them out for now though because my overall goal is to live as much of my life outdoors as possible, and though I would MUCH rather be hot than cold, if it's 100 degrees am I really going to want to go running or play tennis or go hiking? Thus, I decided to try and find a location that has both moderate Winters and Summers (and yes, I know it gets hot and humid in North Carolina -- but the extremes don't last as long).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think Phoenix area and Tucson are hard to beat right now.

I think you also were looking at international locations. For that, I would recommend Thailand. I think in S. America, Vina del Mar in Chile is good as is Cusco, Peru.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM

152 posts, read 298,637 times
Tempe sounds like your place... an urban college town that is in the middle of a business explosion for young professionals and is the center point of the PHX metro... but hurry prices are starting to rise there.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Default Vegas, baby!

Great possibility Vegas_Cabbie -- and I have been to Las Vegas about a dozen times and had a good family friend living there for a while. I love it (at least as far as places to visit).

I think though it presents a problem similar to Phoenix and Tucson that I just posted about (as far as living there); instead of extremes of cold, I'd have extremes of hot (which I would rather), but I am trying to find a place that is more "balanced".

Right now I think North Carolina is it.

But, still exploring . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Las Vegas

No state income tax
Very low rent in good neighborhoods
Home to UNLV and CSN
Major metro area (two million and rising)
Little to no winter, no snow.
Ridiculously good hiking options, year round (Red Rock, Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire)
McCarran International Airport lies in the middle of the city and services basically wherever you need to go.
Very little traffic congestion... The city has been laid out to accommodate future expansion. Very easy to get around town.
Rapidly increasing number of college grads.
Vegas is surrounded by fantastic State and National Parks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.