Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:24 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,344,858 times

Advertisements

Like others have mentioned, Minneapolis-area. Lots of Hmong resettled as a result of the Vietnam war. Think Gran Torino (but not in Detroit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:25 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times
Dallas. Specifically Plano.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:54 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Like others have mentioned, Minneapolis-area. Lots of Hmong resettled as a result of the Vietnam war. Think Gran Torino (but not in Detroit).
You don't even need to think about it - Gran Torino is 100% based on Minneapolis. It was written in Minneapolis by a Minneapolitan, every aspect of the culture it portrays is Minneapolis, most of the inspiration for the Hmong characters came from Hmong American retail workers in Bloomington. The only reason the movie is actually set in Detroit is that it was cheaper to film in Michigan. But originally it was very intentionally supposed to be set in Minneapolis.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
I thought that was a good movie. Couldn't stand Eastwood's character though. Or Eastwood.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 11-11-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,407,311 times
Certain Nationalities have a Pack Mentality. Asians are like that, so are Indians and the Orthodox.

My favorite is in Great Neck Long Island there are MORE Persian Jews than in Persia. Yep they got up and moved halfway around world and all bought in a the same small town on Long Island.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Certain Nationalities have a Pack Mentality. Asians are like that, so are Indians and the Orthodox.

My favorite is in Great Neck Long Island there are MORE Persian Jews than in Persia. Yep they got up and moved halfway around world and all bought in a the same small town on Long Island.
I'm sorry, this is ridiculous. Most Americans, when they live abroad in a non-English-speaking nation, end up hanging out with other expats most of the time. And people who willingly leave the U.S. to live do so because they want to live abroad, not because they have to for work, or because they're worried they'll be killed if they stay in their home.

You better bet if America ever got so screwed up we had refugees leaving, you'd see "Little Americas" all over the place.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 AM

78 posts, read 130,940 times
Johns Creek GA 30-35% Asian population plus growing

Irvine CA 50%+ Asian

Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Interesting. I wonder what the connection is between Burma and Indianapolis. That one is pretty odd.
I'm sure it's relocation (as with Hmong, discussed throughout). I know there's active Burmese relocation in Milwaukee over the last several years, and Indy must welcome a good-sized number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
California, Wisconsin and Minnesota by far have the highest Hmong populations.

Gran Torino definitely would have made more sense in Minneapolis than Detroit. There's a distinct Hmong-American culture that only someone in the above states would be familiar with. I often flip through the radio dial in the northwoods/Green Bay areas and am greeted with Hmong channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.