Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Eventually, will everyone live in the Southwest?
I'm going to take liberties and personalize this particular "southwest" question as aimed at us here in Arizona, and answer accordingly and unequivocally: YES!

You see... most of the people from Snowbirdland are already here temporarily, literally rubbing elbows with all of us, but they're actually looking for permanent homes.
Then there are those other people, that is the other people from Snowbirdland who already have permanent homes and living here, and getting their elbows rubbed by the current Snowbirds.
Then there are those few non-Snowbird people who came from states where they are brutally overtaxed and overrun with crazy activists, and are also here permanently rubbing elbows with the rest of us.

Then, of course, there are those uh... border crossers, who are also coming here to live permanently.

Lest we forget, there are actually those few of us who were actually born & bred in Arizona, and have to drive through the onslaught of current and ex-Snowbird and other similar drivers who are also on their way to every single store and restaurant where we happen to frequent (now less frequently than before thanks to overcrowding!).

Yes! Everyone in America, if not Planet Earth, will eventually all come here to live in the "southwest"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,557 times
Why would I want to live in the Southwest, anyway. The weather is unbearable, scenery mostly boring scrubland and rocks, or endless urban sprawl, high cost of living, the whole water problem, thanks but no thanks, I'd rather stay here in the great lakes.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:24 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
I don't plan on ever moving the the southwest, so that automatically means "everyone" won't eventually live there.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Yeah man, I mean, the southwest is great to visit. But I could not tolerate the drab, brown, dry climate all the time. I need lushness, life, green and water.
In my opinion, there will be a mass exodus from the West back to the eastern U.S. because it's not sustainable due to lack of water. It's already facing serious problems in the water conservation department.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah man, I mean, the southwest is great to visit. But I could not tolerate the drab, brown, dry climate all the time. I need lushness, life, green and water.
In my opinion, there will be a mass exodus from the West back to the eastern U.S. because it's not sustainable due to lack of water. It's already facing serious problems in the water conservation department.
THAT would be absolute heaven! Please keep us "southwesterners" posted.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
It's already facing serious problems in the water conservation department.
Conservation efforts in AZ are quite good, but unless things shape up in the near future (heavy snowpack, rainfall, etc), we'll have to draw from the reserves, and that wont be too pretty. But SRP, etc, has good conservation efforts in place, and they do a good job of monitoring them daily. CA on the other hand, is hurting, because it doesnt look like they had much effort in the first place to conserve, many lived carelessly.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,013 times
If you count Texas as part of the Southwest it is a very growing part of the country but I seriously doubt lol everyone will live in the Southwest that is going a bit overboard. The Southwest does have the best scenery in the country, its a great part of the country to retire in like Arizona. It still has areas that are super rural you can drive in countries in New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and parts of Texas without seeing a person or a even a car on the road thou.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The Southwest does have the best scenery in the country,
Thats simply a matter of opinion.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM

779 posts, read 1,009,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Where do the largest group of citizens in Las Vegas come from?

Where does Las Vegas get its gas? Its aviation fuel? From where are its grocery stores stocked? Its Dept Stores? To what location do the Las Vegas warehouses distribute?

You are getting fooled by the 4 hour trip. But the trucks make a round trip each day. Close 15 and Las Vegas starts to run out of everything in a week.
That's just the way distribution works. It doesn't make Las Vegas a suburb. If people started looking at it that way, every small city would be considered a suburb of somewhere else and smaller town a suburb of that city. I don't think anyone would ever call Las Vegas a suburb of Los Angeles.

Furthermore, there are distribution center and factories in small towns all over the country. I'm sure Las Vegas gets its resources from places other than Los Angeles.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
Quote:
I swear, you've repeated the same thing over and over again in this thread. The West is anything but drab, and didn't you start a thread extensively praising the West and its scenery a few months ago?

You think this is the first time Western states, particularly Southwestern states have experienced droughts before? Due to the climate, droughts are not surprising.

There won't be a mass exodus from West to East, but it would be great if there was. I'd like to send a lot of them back.

Last edited by theraven24; 11-19-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.