Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 AM

545 posts, read 1,101,753 times

Advertisements

do you think the mid west is dying out, and do you think the population will gravitate towards the east and west coasts? or will chicago soak up all of it's population? or will it remain steady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 AM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
No, No, No, No and probably.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
do you think the mid west is dying out, and do you think the population will gravitate towards the east and west coasts? or will chicago soak up all of it's population? or will it remain steady
The population in the Midwest isn't declining. It's just increasing at a slower rate than the Sun Belt. And most people don't actually move from their home state, or at most only move one state away, over the course of their lives.

What you are seeing in the Midwest, which has been going on for decades, is a slow bleed away from rural areas and into the larger metros. But typically people who do this don't move to a metro too far away from their place of birth.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,074,289 times
Quote:
I feel this is an imbalanced perception based on the over played stigmas of this website. What on earth would make you entertain such an absurd notion for the displacement of 65million people, other than the need to drive conversation? If that's the case, then carry on, i'm sure the discussion will be entertaining in the least.

For all the patting on the back the coastal elitists seem to give themselves about being educated and enlightened, they have some of the most ignorant perceptions when it comes to what happens outside of their hipster laden bubbles.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I feel this is an imbalanced perception based on the over played stigmas of this website. What on earth would make you entertain such an absurd notion for the displacement of 65million people, other than the need to drive conversation? If that's the case, then carry on, i'm sure the discussion will be entertaining in the least.

For all the patting on the back the coastal elitists seem to give themselves about being educated and enlightened, they have some of the most ignorant perceptions when it comes to what happens outside of their hipster laden bubbles.
Home run -- you nailed it!

Yeah, the Midwest isn't in a state of decline, at least not currently. Perhaps it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but certainly not today. Even cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit are starting to stop the bleeding and start showing signs of positive growth and rebirth. And even though I just used the word "even" -- as in "even they can do it" -- these three cities have always been underrepresented and underappreciated at the national level despite all the amenities they have, so the word was meant to be somewhat ironic.

In addition, several large Midwest metros are growing at or above the national average for metropolitan areas, including: Columbus, Indianapolis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Kansas City. Several medium metros are also growing at a healthy clip, if not even faster, such as: Madison, Des Moines, Fargo, Souix Falls, Omaha, and Grand Rapids. And not that anybody is worried about Williston, ND, but it IS currently the fastest growing metro (very small) area in the entire country, due to the oil boom there. And great metropolises like Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Milwaukee are also growing and more importantly, progressing, and represent some of the finer examples of urban Americana in the country -- something that I think will make these places all-the-more attractive as this urban renaissance continues to unfold.

Furthermore, I am on the bandwagon of hopefuls who thinks that parts of the Midwest will only surge in popularity over the years and decades as climates change and resources like water, grains, or minerals become more scarce/valuable. Call me crazy, but I see a serious future for a city like Duluth, MN or Marquette, MI in 50 to 100 years.

I've said it before, I'll say it now, and I'll probably say it again and again: growth does not equate to greatness, especially in a vacuum (with no other factors added). Without a foundation of resources, sustained progress and adaptation growth can be disastrous to metro areas.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Will the Midwest population migrate to the coasts where a typical 3 bedroom house costs $500,000 and property taxes are $12,000+/year? Yeah, sure. Why not?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Even cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit are starting to stop the bleeding and start showing signs of positive growth and rebirth. And even though I just used the word "even" -- as in "even they can do it" -- these three cities have always been underrepresented and underappreciated at the national level despite all the amenities they have, so the word was meant to be somewhat ironic.
Not that I otherwise disagree with your post, but please don't bring up Pittsburgh in a discussion of the Midwest.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not that I otherwise disagree with your post, but please don't bring up Pittsburgh in a discussion of the Midwest.
It might not be Midwestern, but its definitely Rust Belt, which I believe the OP was most likely thinking of at the time of his/her post.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:04 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Quote:
West coast is running out of fresh water, would be a really bad move!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,446,314 times
The fastest growing state in the country is North Dakota AND the only major Midwestern cities that aren't growing at a good clip are Cleveland and Detroit so AND the coasts are about to be up against an extreme sea-level rise AND Indianapolis, Columbus, and Minneapolis are all growing faster than Tampa, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, and Boston, so... no...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.