Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:34 PM

645 posts, read 829,266 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am trying to engineer a move to the north. I have some "wooing" to do before my boss agrees to it. The options that I have are these. So which one should say?? New Heaven, CT is another option, but that does sound very appealing.

Main criteria being the weather. Dallas is wayyyy to hot for my liking. Prefer temps between 25C to -20C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
If your salary allows for it I would say New Jersey which has some nice options in the area surrounding NYC and with it obviously a ton of social and recreation opportunity. If your salary holds the same no matter where you go, the Chicago option is the clear winner and a very friendly city which is a nice perk as a newcomer.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:28 PM

How is the public transport in both the cities? That is one major question that i have? Cant really enjoy myself here coz I know i have to drive!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,692,342 times
Chicago is indeed the clear winner if mass transit is important to you. It's among the best in the country in terms of the area it covers --which is almost all of the city via el, bus or commuter liness -- and the frequency with which they run, which is nearly 24/7. And of course all the urban amenities you want in many pleasant neighborhoods. But fair warning. Winters can be downright nasty, though Chicagoans always say, "Oh it's not that bad." If you're not used to it, it is that bad.

New Jersey is pretty car-dependent, as its essentially one giant suburb between Philly and NYC (with the shore and some mountains thrown in for variety.) But the "gold Coast" those communities on the Hudson facing Manhattan are less so and in some cities, like Jersey City or Hoboken, you really can live pretty-much day to day without a car,even though having one would still be nice. And parts of those cities are vibrant and lively too. And the weather is four-season moderate.

New Haven is not as dull as one might think, as its dominated by Yale, with its attendant cultural amenities and student life, and the small downtown has been really cleaned up and improved in the past few years. Plus its only a train ride away from the Manhattan for when you get bored, and a short trip to beaches. But you would want to have a car there.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Wow! Thanks for detailed info. I will still keep my car even if I move to Chicago. But public transportation is still important! Another reason, to move up north is coz of the snow. If it is above -20C, I am fine with it! Don't like the heat anymore. Been in hot places too much.

If its New Jersey, my office will be South Plainfield. I am not sure how far they are from the areas that you mentioned.

The only thing that Dallas has for me are the people. They are amazingly nice. If Chicago offers me that, then I would say it wins it!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Go with Chicago if you value public transporation. Chicagoans are generally pretty friendly, especially for such a big city. Youll love the winters, which are 3 solid months of cold weather, and another 2-3 months of cold-to-mild weather. Chicago offers so much that your head will spin. I lived in the area for 36+ years, went to Chicago at least 75 times, and each time I was still blown away and overwhelmed by how much there is to see. Good luck on your move!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,034,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Wow! Thanks for detailed info. I will still keep my car even if I move to Chicago. But public transportation is still important! Another reason, to move up north is coz of the snow. If it is above -20C, I am fine with it! Don't like the heat anymore. Been in hot places too much.

If its New Jersey, my office will be South Plainfield. I am not sure how far they are from the areas that you mentioned.

The only thing that Dallas has for me are the people. They are amazingly nice. If Chicago offers me that, then I would say it wins it!
I just looked up google map directions, it looks like South Plainfield is 30 miles or 45 minutes from NYC/Manhattan. Would you be planning on living in Chicagos urban core as opposed to the suburbs? Keep in mind that the New Jersey office is essentially a NYC suburban area.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:03 AM

I dont have much idea about Chicago, but i have option of two zip codes, 60606 and 60192. The former looks right in the heart of the city, that is what i want to target for. I prefer crowded places.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:44 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
If the office is in South Plainfield, perhaps Northern NJ cities like Jersey City, Hoboken, Montclair, West Orange and select parts of Newark(i.e.- Ironbound), among others, could work for you.

New Brunswick, East Brunswick, Linden and select parts of Elizabeth may also work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-11-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks! Nice info coming in! I have a meeting with my boss late next week! Lets see what happens. If he says no, i am going on strike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.