Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,930 times

Advertisements

Or are there areas with people you had a preconceived notion of what they were like only to find they weren't like that at all?

For some reason I never really get along with people in Ohio much, but I do get along with people from Michigan extremely well. Never figured out why this might be.

I was also surprised to find most people in NYC were generally nice, not rude like I had been lead to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM

267 posts, read 311,054 times
I have preconceived expectations of people based on where they're from, however I try not to let that interfere with getting to know the person.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
NYC residents are the friendliest people on earth... despite what the media and Hollywood tries to say... they are not rude at all, friendly and outgoing I loved him all when visiting NYC.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,382 times
The people I've not gotten along with across the country tend to come from 3 states primarily. Those states are New York (rude regardless of upstate or NYC), Massachusetts, and people from Georgia (not liking the fact I was from the north). Everyone from other places I've tended to get along with okay. Yeah you have people whose personalities are going to conflict with yours and you will get that everywhere. However while I've had some friends from NY and Georgia (Massachusetts on the other hand not really) I and got along with some others generally people from those three states are the ones I've had issues with in my own experience.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 16,187 times
You'll meet nice and rude people anywhere. I have neighbors on one side of my house I get along with well. And on the other side neighbors I don't get along with at all.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Or are there areas with people you had a preconceived notion of what they were like only to find they weren't like that at all?

For some reason I never really get along with people in Ohio much, but I do get along with people from Michigan extremely well. Never figured out why this might be.

I was also surprised to find most people in NYC were generally nice, not rude like I had been lead to believe.
I never really got along with people from Ohio either much when I lived their, something about that place I just didn't like, the state was kinda boring in general and the locals get mad if you point out any constructive criticism with their state they tend to get very rude and obnoxious.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,039 times
I get along with almost everybody.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I get along with almost everybody.
I do as well but some of the stupid people on here test my patience.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,854 times
I had a preconceived notion about Texas when traveling through years ago- "gun-toting rednecks ready to blow away Yankees"- but found it was wrong when I actually lived there awhile. People I knew in Texas were very nice.
On the opposite side of the coin, I figured New Mexico was basically laid-back and friendly- but could not get out fast enough.
They're a couple of examples.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
There are people I get along with/don't pretty evenly geographically distributed.

Except for Memphis. I love people from Memphis and they love me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.