Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Southern the same as country
Yes - the two are synonymous and all country people are Southern, too 14 17.72%
No - they can exist independently of each other in any region 65 82.28%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:22 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times

Advertisements

Most "Country" State outside the Deep South (Texas-Louisiana-Mississippi-Alabama-Georgia-South Carolina)?

Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansaw, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina or West Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
There seems to be a strange distinction that Southerners feel the need to make between "Southern" and "country" that people outside of the South have no concept of.

Like for instance, if I were to imitate a Southern accent, a Southerner might say "Noooo! That's a 'country' accent!"

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what "country" means. There's no such concept of a subcategory of Southerner, at least here in Minnesota. Is "country" just another word for "redneck"? Is it applied only to a certain kind of redneck? Is it just impoverished/working class rural Southerners? Or is it just a specific place in the South? I truly don't get it.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Again, you are describing other regions when you say this. The Midwest and the inland West are exactly the same.
Yes. I know. I've been all over the South and the U.S. And I understand the stereotypes. I'm just stating the reasons why the South is perceived to be country.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
There seems to be a strange distinction that Southerners feel the need to make between "Southern" and "country" that people outside of the South have no concept of.

Like for instance, if I were to imitate a Southern accent, a Southerner might say "Noooo! That's a 'country' accent!"

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what "country" means. There's no such concept of a subcategory of Southerner, at least here in Minnesota. Is "country" just another word for "redneck"? Is it applied only to a certain kind of redneck? Is it just impoverished/working class rural Southerners? Or is it just a specific place in the South? I truly don't get it.
People in the rural areas of Michigan are more likely to sound like Chicagoans than they are like Southern people. In fact I don't understand this idea of a "country" accent. Someone from the "country" in Idaho is going to sound vastly different from someone in the "country" of New Hampshire.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Might be because the south used to much more rural than the rest of the country. And it seems to emphasize the rural aspects of its culture more.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Because they're ignorant and narrow-minded, and need to get out more.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
People in the rural areas of Michigan are more likely to sound like Chicagoans than they are like Southern people. In fact I don't understand this idea of a "country" accent. Someone from the "country" in Idaho is going to sound vastly different from someone in the "country" of New Hampshire.
I don't know that it's so much an accent as a way of phrasing things? My two kids were raised together, you'd think they would sound much the same but they don't, one is much more 'country' sounding than the other. Words like 'mater, tater, yonder, pronouncing can't like cain't, other little oddities, one kid picked it up from the crowd they ran with. The other kid ran with a much different crowd and is more 'proper' in his speech.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
I have a friend who I cant get out of philly to come visit down south. It's all good for me to visit there but he cant and wont visit down here in south Carolina. He told me that he just never really like the south and that it was just too country for him. I been coaxing him for years and finally I just gave up trying anymore.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 PM

396 posts, read 421,115 times
I know what you are talking about and I've said the same thing.

I grew up in a pretty rural part of New Jersey. Small town of mostly woods and farms. I moved to the south as a teenager and found that people automatically thought that being from up north meant you were from the city.

And people in the south, even those in the cities still kind of thought of themselves as country. I can't describe it other than you had to be there. In the 90s we'd go line dancing and people who live in the city of Tampa would be all driving pick up trucks, wearing cowboy hats and big belt buckles and act like they were straight off the ranch.

Country songs will often use southern and country interchangeably. "I'm from the south and I'm a country boy" type of theme in a lot of songs.
I know what you mean and it's just another annoying stereotype.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
And lots of people down south who don't get out much, believe everything up north is all city and urban. You have country and rural places in northern states as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.