Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Southern the same as country
Yes - the two are synonymous and all country people are Southern, too 14 17.72%
No - they can exist independently of each other in any region 65 82.28%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times

Advertisements

Strangely enough, when I think of "country" I think of my surroundings here in the North, which are cornfields, red barns, white farm houses, dirt roads, small towns with grain elevators, etc. When I have traveled in the South, my notion of "country" actually seems harder to find, or I don't see it at all. But that's just me. I have a warped perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
People in southern cities tend be give off a country vibe in one way or another anf EVERY city south of Philly is guilty of this, even D.C. and Baltimore although I wouldn't call them truly southern culturally, just a few southern nuances.
Once you get to Richmond people take pride in being southern and country.
What nonsence.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
Quote:
People in southern cities tend be give off a country vibe in one way or another anf EVERY city south of Philly is guilty of this, even D.C. and Baltimore although I wouldn't call them truly southern culturally, just a few southern nuances.
Once you get to Richmond people take pride in being southern and country.
This is ridiculously wrong.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
This is ridiculously wrong.
Nope but you are welcome to have your opinion, just like I have mines. There isn't that much difference between a person from ATL or Memphis and a person from Knoxville or Huntville. Same mannerisms, same mindsets, same rather slow pace of life, similar country accents though the degree can vary. To be fair STL is Midwestern as well as Chicago but thr people in those places, especially STL come off as country, real country especially the black population. Straight up Alabama bamas.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:00 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Basically, a farming-based economy is one of the traditional hallmarks of the southern U.S. (as opposed to the industrial north).
Have you never been to Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and so on? That's the biggest farm belt in the country.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
Quote:
Nope but you are welcome to have your opinion, just like I have mines. There isn't that much difference between a person from ATL or Memphis and a person from Knoxville or Huntville. Same mannerisms, same mindsets, same rather slow pace of life, similar country accents though the degree can vary. To be fair STL is Midwestern as well as Chicago but thr people in those places, especially STL come off as country, real country especially the black population. Straight up Alabama bamas.
The problem is that your opinion is wrong. Complete nonsenSe.

NOT every city south of Philly gives off a "country" vibe. Not even close. But feel free to think that way.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:15 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
I think it is because country music largely portrays south as all country with farmland, tractors and small communities. Like others have pointed out, farming/country life is very prevalent in the midwest too but there is nothing in the pop culture that portrays midwest that way.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Have you never been to Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and so on? That's the biggest farm belt in the country.
Nope. The South, traditionally, was much more oriented towards agriculture than the North.

And today, Central California is the most important farm belt in the country.

Michigan, BTW, is not similar to the other states you listed, in that it's heavily forested and only the lower third of the state has extensive farmland. Ohio, too, is not dominated by farmland, with really only the western portion heavily farmland.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
The South has been historically more rural and agrarian-based economy than the industrial north. This goes back to even the days of the American Revolution. It held onto slavery and plantation culture the longest, even up to the Civil War. It was also the poorest and most backwards part of the country for most of its history. Hell, it was just recently that the last town to get electricity was in the South.

It has nothing to do with the media or people's ignorance as someone suggested. Southern culture became synonmous with country. They are also the predominate people that originally settled the Plains and Western states. It is ingrained into the subconsciousness of our collective minds because of its historic roots. Just because it may no longer be the case because the South has made strive to urbanize and modernize within the last 20-30 years, doesn't make it go away that quickly.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
"country" implies accent more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.